PDA

View Full Version : Review: Logitech G9 Gaming Mouse

Indybird
12-21-2007, 08:55 PM
I got the Logitech G9 just under a week ago, heres my review:

Logitech G9 Gaming Mouse Review

Purchase:
I purchased it from Amazon for $69.99-$20M.I.R. = $49.99 though it usually retails for around $90.
Here's (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-000173-G9-Laser-Mouse/dp/B000UHE8Y2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1198278827&sr=8-1) a link.

Specs:
-3200dpi Laser Engine
-9 Buttons
-Sensitivity Adjustment
-Microgear(c) Scrollwheel with Tiltwheel
-16mb Onboard Memory
-LED Mouse Status w/ Color Changing
-2 Changeable grips
-Adjustable weights (up to 28 grams)
-USB 2.0 (Of course)

Pictures:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Indybird/6cc77e90.jpg
The Mouse with Wide-load, Satin Grip

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Indybird/8e7d5659.jpg
The top of the mouse: here you can see the braided cable

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Indybird/5c8f64fb.jpg
Right Side

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Indybird/ed1fc941.jpg
Left Side

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Indybird/e0eef02c.jpg
Close-up of LEDs, scroll-wheel and sensitivity adjustment

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Indybird/ec450c23.jpg
The precision grip with rough, anti-sweat texture

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Indybird/8f8cc6fe.jpg
The weight system

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Indybird/4a2c735a.jpg
The bottom of the mouse with the profile button, wheel button and laser.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Indybird/1f6c0c9c.jpg
The Box

Unpacking:
The Logitech comes in the usual Logitech-Gaming-Peripheral packaging: Green and orange color scheme. You can see the mouse mouse with wide-grip behind the plastic. This box is special though, it opens up like a book (and is held shut with a magnet). When you open it, the precision grip is shown off behind some plastic. The whole box has a very high quality look and feel to it, which is important because thats the first thing you see when getting this mouse.

Contents:
The G9 comes with the mouse, two grips, a tin with 8 weights (4x 7gram, 4x 4gram), manual and logitech catalog. No, I didn't forget to mention the driver CD, the G9 doesn't come with one. This really suprised me and, though I can just download the drivers, some people won't be able to or won't want to.

The Mouse:
The G9 is the first Logitech gaming mouse to deviate from their regular rounded design. The shape of the mouse is much different from most other mice. I gotta say, the first time I saw it on the internet I thought it was kinda ugly. However, up until I bought it grew on me and now I love its design.

As you know, the mouse comes with two grips: The Precision grip and the Wide-Load grip. The precision grip is much thinner and is coated with an "Anti-Sweat" textured surface. The precision grip is best for fast-paced action such as in Unreal Tournament. The Wide-Load grip has an area for your thumb and pinkie finger. It is coated in the classic smooth-satiny texture that Logitech has used for many of its mice. The Wide grip is meant to be used for sniping, strategy games and normal PC use. It can also be noted that the wide grip has an extra "Polytetraflouroethylene" foot pad. I found myself using the wide grip more often, but I love the feel of both. I have average-sized hands and this mouse is very comfortable. If you have small hands, then this mouse should also fit perfectly. However, if you have large hands then you might have some trouble getting comfortable.

The mouse has 9 buttons: The two main buttons, the middle button, forward and back, two sensitivity adjustments and the tilt-wheel buttons. Every single one of these can be programmed to do whatever you want using the software. The sensitivity adjustment "rocker" is right under the left button. At first it was kind of annoying having to lift up my left finger to change sensitivity, but I got used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore. The forward and back buttons are perfectly placed right above the thumb rest position. The left and right buttons are both perfectly placed and are curved to "hug" your fingers. The main buttons feel perfect. Each button has a perfect feel and sound. Even the middle-button, which I find mouse companies mess up these days, feels and responds perfect.

One of my favorite features on this mouse was the LED mouse status. It has 3 LEDs that (based on amount on) show your sensitivity setting and (based on its color) show you what profile you're using. I'll talk more about the customization of these LEDs in the 'Software' Section.

My next favorite feature is the "Microgear(C)" Scroll Wheel. The wheel itself is non-rounded, and made of metal with a ridged rubber center. Thats not whats so special about it though; the wheel has two different modes (much like the Logitech MX Revolution, VX Revolution and VX Nano). The first is your regular clicky, line-by-line scrolling. Sadly, I found the wheel to be very loud when scrolling, though its only noticeable when you scroll very fast. The second releases the clicker and allows the wheel to spin freely. In this mode you can scroll through colossal documents or web-pages very fast and smooth. Sadly Logitech chose to make its switching method more like the VXs: you have to turn the mouse over and press a button to switch the mode. Surprisingly, having to turn it over is that annoying, though I don't use the "free-spin" mode very often.

The next thing that interested me was the on-board memory. Though several mice on the market now carry this feature, this a very new and cool idea. On the G9 the onboard memory is made to keep all of your profiles, settings and macros no matter what computer you're on. To change profiles without the software you simply press the profile button on the bottom of the mouse. To really test out this feature I plugged the G9 into my friends PS3 and played Unreal Tournament III. Sure enough I could still use all of my profiles and macros.

Last, but not least, is the weight tuning. To access the weight "drawer" you have to remove the grip and click the drawer. It has four slots four weights. The weights come in a very cool tin that says "G9". Included are four 4 gram weights and four 7 gram weights. It seems very useful and simply, but when you think about it, the weight customization possibilities are endless. You could have just two on the left for a left-heavy mouse, two on the top for a top-heavy mouse, or you could even go no weights for a very light mouse. I found that I prefer a heavy mouse, so I put in four 7 gram weights for a total of 28 grams.

Software
As if the mouse it self wasn't amazing enough, Logitech has made a kick-ass piece of software for customizing the mouse. In this software you can do just about anything imaginable. The main screen shows a "summary" of all of your settings:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Indybird/4edf487b.jpg (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Indybird/e2949f48.jpg)

After this the first tab is "Basics". Here are all of the basic settings for customizing the current profile. You can change the profile name, the profile description, location of the profile (on the onboard memory or not), associated applications (for automatic profile activation), and profile LED color.

The next tab is "Buttons". This tab is exactly what it is called: button customization. You can assign just about any action to any button. I was really impressed with customizability here.

Next up is "Pointer". Aside from the LED customization, this is the first tab where you actually see just how advanced the software is. Here you can change the dpi increments (up to 5), pointer speed, pointer acceleration, and polling rate. The dpi increment setting is really what blew me away. Using this you can change each dpi sensitivity level (both X and Y axis) for adjusting using the sensitivity rocker. The speed and acceleration are pretty standard fare, but Logitech included the option to adjust the polling rate (the rate in which the mouse data is sent to the computer). Though this is a nice addition, I don't really see why anyone would want to mess with this.

Next is "Scrolling". Here you simply adjust the vertical and horizontal scroll speeds. Nuff said.

Next up is the profile manager. Here you can change how you switch profiles, add/remove profiles and move profiles on and off of the onboard memory.

Lastly is the macro manager. If you think of a macro program with every possible macroing (word?) option, then you're probably thinking of this one. It does both keyboard and mouse. You can change everything in your macro; buttons, intervals, macro name, etc. From there you can set any one of these macros to a button.

Indybird
12-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Performance/Use:
Alright, heres what really matters: how the mouse actually performs. Lets start off with everyday use.

The mouse movement is amazingly smooth, both thanks to the 3200dpi sensor and the Polytetrafluoroethylene (Phew!) feet. All movements were very smooth. I customized several profiles for all of my games and programs, and it was really nice having customized button layouts and customized sensitivity options for each program. The mouse is perfect for everything from internet browsing to photoshop (which I found to be much easier now).

Now heres what what the mouse is all about, the gaming performance. To test it out I fired up Crysis multiplayer and Day of Defeat: Source. In Crysis I found my self scoring a lot more headshots. Sniping is an absolute dream with this mouse. I got the same results in Day of Defeat. I was actually so accurate with the sniper now, that I got accused of using an aim-bot twice! I'll tell you right now, I was no where close to being this accurate with my MX-510. I didn't think a mouse could really make this much of a difference. It may be noted that this whole time I was using the wide grip.

After long gaming sessions and long internet sessions, I still found the mouse to be very comfortable.

Conclusions
Though I've only ever owned/commonly used but a few mice, I think I can safely say that this is the absolute best mouse I've ever used. The depth of customizability is dizzying at times, and I am sure I am no where close to getting every thing just right. The quality (both physically and in opinion) of the mouse and software is truly top-notch and will not leave you disappointed. The fact that I got accused of cheating now is a true testament to the quality of this mouse. This mouse really bridges the gap between PC response and user input.
Though the wheel-switching is kinda annoying and the mouse didn't come with a driver CD, those problems are completely overshadowed by the pluses of this mouse. And though the mouse is very expensive, I actually have to say that it is 100% worth it. If you get this mouse you will not be disappointed.

Pros:
-Great Shape
-Interchangeable grips
-Amazing customizability
-State-of-the-Art Software
-Great Looks
-High Build Quality

Cons:
-Wheel-mode switching is kind of annoying
-Does not come with Driver CD
-Weights make minimal difference
-Not good for people with large hands
-Not good for people who "palm" their whole mouse

Objective Score/Subjective Score
Ease of Use: 9 / 9
Performance: 10 / 10
Build Quality: 8 / 10
Software: 10 / 10
Package: 8 / 9
Value: 9 / 10
Overall: 9.0 / 9.6

-Indybird

Sorry for the uber-long review, I just had a lot to say. :)

**Update #3**
Well, I just got a new wide-load grip in the mail today. First I emailed them, but the person on the e-mail directed me to call the phone support. When I called there I simply gave him my case number, address and he said they would send a new one! Like I said I got it today (6 days after my call) and I am now hoping that this one won't peel away as the other did.

Logitech support gets an A+ from me.

**Update #2**
About a week ago I noticed that a very small part of the wide-load (rubbery) grip had chipped/peeled off. It was small and it didn't bother me too much. A few days later I noticed that more areas of the mouse began peeling. At this point it got very annoying so I e-mailed Logitech support to see if I can get a new one. It can be noted that I kept my $75 mouse very clean and took very good care of it. I am thinking this is simply a defect. I'll get back to you on how they handle my issue.

**Update #1**
After using this mouse for a few weeks I am starting to feel that the weight system does not affect the weight of the mouse that much. The difference is extremely minimal in my opinion. I also asked two of my friends and they agreed. Without the weights it is a medium-light mouse, with the weights its kinda just medium. When saw the weight system I expected it to be able imitate the weight of a wireless mouse w/ 2 AA batteries. I was a little disappointed in this area. I think it would've been best if they included 4x 6g weights and 4x 12g weights.

Furthermore, I have just found out that Logitech will be release more grips for the G9, so if neither of these grips suit you, then Logitech is probably fixing that. When they come out I will update the review again and let you know how they feel.

Spawn-Inc
12-22-2007, 01:14 AM
+rep for a wicked review

now i skimmed through it but have you tried the MX revolution? how does it compare in feel?

the free spin wheel thing pisses me off that you have to flip the dam thing.

can you take a picture of the bottem so i can see all these buttons:)

Indybird
12-22-2007, 11:22 AM
My friend bought the MX Revolution for his computer. I like the feel of it, but that is definitely for people who "palm" their mice. Its more similar to Logitech's G7, G5, MX500, etc. Personally I like the feel of the G9 more.

Its nice on the MX Revolution because you can set the wheel to automatically change to free-spin when you scroll at a certain speed. You can also have it manually change by pressing one of the buttons on the mouse. To bad that's the only mouse Logitech included that on.

I added a picture of the bottom to the pictures section and added some parts I forgot.

-Indybird

Spawn-Inc
12-22-2007, 09:59 PM
hey i just realized i know how to mod! i can just move the button to the top should i get one :):)

i really like that weighted tray thing, its such a gimmick but i love gimmicks!

for me the mx revolution is to small to palm, but i don't like palming the mouse when i play fps games anyway, i might have to get that mouse later on.

jdbnsn
12-25-2007, 01:27 AM
Fantastic review as usual! I actually looked around for a good mouse that was weighted because it really does make a big difference in the feel and control but I ended up getting the MX Revo which is great.

I wanted to ask Spawn about this statement:

the free spin wheel thing pisses me off that you have to flip the dam thing.

What do you mean by that? My mouse used to spin "freely" but seems to switch over to a "geared" scroll which I don't like. Is there a way to keep it free spinning?

-Jon

jdbnsn
12-25-2007, 01:35 AM
Disregard, just read the instructions and realized how simple it is to switch. Doh!

D1337
12-25-2007, 02:07 AM
Hey indy, how do you like your mousepad? I was thinking of getting the CSS version of it, but im not really sure of the quality..

Indybird
12-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Hey indy, how do you like your mousepad? I was thinking of getting the CSS version of it, but im not really sure of the quality..

Its pretty nice. Its well sized and the texture is just right for laser mice and high-dpi optical. Watch out for lower dpi mice though, I tried my 400 dpi MS mouse and the pad was messing it up.

By the way the image is real clear, its pretty high quality.

-Indybird

cjtaylor0103
12-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Told the Girlfriend to pick me one up or my birthday coming up Jan 3rd. I'm currently using one of the old Super Mat mousepads and love the size, but want to move to a non-cloth pad with a little less friction. Steelpads are nice, but don't offer the size I'm looking for....so....on to the question.

I was considering making my own mousepad using a 3/8" sheet of glass cut to 16x12". I would finish the edges with a "C" gasket for a clean and safe trim. I was considering using a flat black paint on the underside for reflection. Can anyone comment on the success I might find with this setup? Should I flat black the top so that the reflective surface isnt 3/8" from the bottom of the eye? Any help would be great.

cjtaylor0103
01-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Thought I would add a few more comments as I just received my G9 yesterday and spent about 3 hours playing with it last night. I will touch on a few aspects of the mouse that surprised me. Take in to consideration that I'm a competetive CS:S Junky. CAL, CEVO, ESEA.

Weight System - I've always liked a heavier mouse---one of the top reasons I ordered this particular mouse. I loaded it down with four of the 7g weights, threw the cover on it and went to town. The thing is HEAVY or it can be very light...or anywhere in the middle. Please, in your consideration for purchasing, understand that you can tailor this thing to the exact weight you desire. I doubt there will be a person that says, "It's not light enough" or "I can't get it heavy enough"

Wide Design - If you're a player that uses low sensitivity and picks up your mouse alot, you may have trouble adjusting. The wide base offers a good feel, but rather chunky and uncomfortable to pick up and scoot. Also, if you are a "scooter" that normally just picks up one edge and moves the mouse, dragging the other side, to relocate without registering any movement on screen, you have to relearn your habbits. The wide grip makes it difficult to "tip" the mouse up to drag it. Same concept as a wider based vehicle being hard to flip over.

Scroll Wheel - I've seen free spinning mouse wheels, but never like this. When you disengage the click mechanism the mouse really does spin freely and has a great momentum. If you give it a good spin it will remain in quick motion for aproximately 10-15 seconds. If you bind your mousewheel to make something easy for you (like bunny hopping in CS)...this thing is amazing. I can bunny hop like a maniac with it.

Precision - That's all I'm going to say. I noticed an immediate difference between this mouse and my MX518.

Overall, I enjoy what I see so far. It will take some adjusting to find the sweet spot for this mouse with such a great increase in precision, but remains a good move if you're a gamer. Buy from an online store to save about $20.00.

Indybird
01-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Weight System - I've always liked a heavier mouse---one of the top reasons I ordered this particular mouse. I loaded it down with four of the 7g weights, threw the cover on it and went to town. The thing is HEAVY or it can be very light...or anywhere in the middle. Please, in your consideration for purchasing, understand that you can tailor this thing to the exact weight you desire. I doubt there will be a person that says, "It's not light enough" or "I can't get it heavy enough"

I agree with your whole review except for this. I gotta say I was kind of unimpressed with the weight system. I suppose if it works for your then it's done its job, but I'm kinda picky. I updated my main posts and went into further detail.

-Indybird

Indybird
02-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Updated review with a new problem I've been having.

-Indybird

Indybird
02-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Updated review with Logitech's fast and painless fix for problem #2.

-Indybird

Indybird
12-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Logitech has released their new ID grip for the G9! :banana:

http://www.logitech.com/repository/1197/jpg/11603.1.0.jpg

In addition to being customizable to a picture you upload, it has a deeper, more palm focused grip to cater to all the gamers who were disappointed by its shortness.

Heres the link. (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/634/4818&cl=us,en)

Enjoy,
Indybird

Eclecticos
12-06-2008, 02:54 AM
One hell of a detailed and thorough review. +Rep
Looks like a really nice mouse. I think, I would probably customize my own,
but its cool that you do have the option to order a personalized grip.

nevermind1534
12-08-2008, 11:14 AM
how can i make runescape money fast??

If you're looking for runescape money, you're in the wrong place.

Indybird
12-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Logitech has released their new ID grip for the G9! :banana:

http://www.logitech.com/repository/1197/jpg/11603.1.0.jpg

In addition to being customizable to a picture you upload, it has a deeper, more palm focused grip to cater to all the gamers who were disappointed by its shortness.

Heres the link. (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/634/4818&cl=us,en)

Enjoy,
Indybird

I got it on Saturday, and have posted a review over here (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?p=221903#post221903)!