PDA

View Full Version : Hardware for Humanity by Gruntville and TBCS

DickNervous
09-02-2005, 09:56 AM
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/raffle/HFH_logo.gif

All week we have been inundated with images of the devastation and horror that have been left in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. She came ashore and with a fury that has not been seen in a very long time, at least since hurricane records have been kept. Hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions, have been displaced from their homes. Many of them don’t even have a home left to go back to. These people simply escaped with the clothes on their backs and perhaps a bag or two of belongings. They lost everything.

Thousands have died from the storm and the aftermath that has gripped the gulf coast region. Thousands more are still trapped in New Orleans trying to seek the simple things, food, water, and shelter. All of these are in short supply and the situation is going to get worse before it gets better.

Everyone who can read this is sitting in front of computer, either at home or work, which means they have more then the people of New Orleans, Biloxi, Mobile, and the other smaller towns and villages that were not only damaged, but wiped out. I have spent many days now being very upset about the whole situation and that fact that I feel helpless. Today I took action and decided that all money I make from selling my extra computer parts would go to the Red Cross. Dante from TBCS upped the ante by offering to raffle off a video card. Well, one thing led to another and here we are with the….

Hardware for Humanity
brought to you by Gruntville.com and TheBestCaseScenario.com

Gruntville.com has teamed up with TBCS as well as several sponsors to do our part to help the victims of the worst natural disaster to hit the United States since the 1906 San Francisco earthquake by holding a fund raising raffle. We will raffle off 1 item a week until we have nothing left to raffle off. All proceeds will go to the American Red Cross Katrina Relief fund. Let’s show the world that the community of gamers and modders care about much more then our PC’s and games, that we care about our fellow man.

Rules:
- All donations must be made via PayPal by either clicking the
Donate link (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rich%40gruntville%2ecom&item_name=GruntvillE%20Katrina%20Relief%20Raffle&item_number=gruntville&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF&charset=UTF%2d8) or sending it directly to rich@gruntville.com
- Gruntville, TBCS, the sponsors, and donors of the items being raffled off will pay for shipping of items in the coninental United States (unless otherwise specified). International winners will need to cover the additional costs of shipping to them above what it would cost to ship inside the US.
- While donations to the Red Cross are normally tax deductible, we have not figured out how to handle that when we are the middle-man, we are working on it. Until then please assume that you will not be able to provide proof of a charitable donation for the purchase of these raffle tickets.
- Only 1 winner per household per 30 days. If the raffle lasts more then 1 month then people will be eligible to win again.
- Ticket Prices are $5 per ticket. If you donate over $20 at one time you will get 1 bonus ticket for every $20 you donate. For example, if you donate $20 you get 5 tickets, $40 gets you 10, and so on.
- When you make a donation please send an email to me, rich@gruntville.com, with your forum name if you do not want your real name posted on the forums.

We are trying to keep this simple. As you purchase tickets I will pull them from a roll and write your name on them and put them in a big container. Every Friday I will ask the Official Ticket Puller (my 4yr old son Dylan) to pull out a winner. The winner will be sent an email and their name posted on the GruntvillE and TBCS forums.

We are working on lining up some sponsors and other stuff to raffle off so we will have more information early next week. But rest assured, you can start buying tickets now.

Dante
09-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Guys...all of us here at TBCS can vouch for Dick. He is a standup guy, as is all of the staff over at Gruntville. Please if you have the means... give a little to this worthy cause, these people really need our help.

Dante
09-02-2005, 12:34 PM
You know what... here is what TBCS is going to do. To help Dick out I am going to have a little contest to help raise money for the hurricane victims. ALL of the money collected from the contest will be given to Dick to give to the Red Cross.

Here is the deal...you can give any amount of a donation you wish, but donations that are $5 and over will be entered in a contest to win my
GIGABYTE GV-N66T128D Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=958)

I will also pay for the shipping within the US and Canada. Although if you wish to donate from ouside of those regions you are more than welcome to and we will see what can be worked out as far as shipping goes.

Just Paypal your donation to rich@gruntville.com with the message "TBCS Raffle". You can enter as many times as you like and you will get one entry into the contest for every $5 of your donation. So for example... $40 = 8 entries.

Ok everyone Malatory has kindly donated another prize for the contest so now we will also be giving away an Extreme Gamer Dual Red CCFL Light kit to one of folks that are kind enough to help out the hurricane victims.

Malatory
09-02-2005, 01:24 PM
To help spread the word and not to try and duplicate everything else that is being done. I did link DickNervous post on Gruntville and this one here on Gideontech ("http://forums.gideontech.com/index.php/topic,31783.0.html)

Edit: Ps I will add something to my personal site later on today (Need to change the chipset fan 1st) to help out with 1-2 hits :)

Crimson Sky
09-02-2005, 02:06 PM
I'll do what i can to help spread the word of the contest--This is such an important cause i can't begin to even describe what it means to so many people--You have all my support!

DickNervous
09-02-2005, 03:35 PM
*smiff*

You guys make me proud to be part of this community. Though I think I am going to have to get more organized :)

Okay, and I stole your idea for a raffle. If you want to do one big raffle between the two sites, just let me know.

Dante
09-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Absolutely...lets do it together dude. Makes no sense to do it any other way.

Dante
09-02-2005, 05:25 PM
UPDATE: We are now joining forces with Gruntville. Details are forth coming and an official announcement regarding the raffle will be made later tonight on both sites. So stay tuned because now we also have way cooler prizes than just my vid card.

The_Wippuh
09-02-2005, 05:48 PM
UPDATE: We are now joining forces with Gruntville. Details are forth coming and an official announcement regarding the raffle will be made later tonight on both sites. So stay tuned because now we also have way cooler prizes than just my vid card.

BIG PIMPIN'

weirdguy
09-04-2005, 10:15 PM
You know, if you joined with [h]ardocp you could call it [H]ardware for
[H]umanity.

Aero
09-04-2005, 10:22 PM
I'll link here from some other site/forums as well, I seem to be extremely low on cash, so I may or maynot be able to contribute directly. As I said, I think I have about $15-20 left over from buying lunches last week at school, I'll se if I can find anything around my closet aswell, theres always a few bucks in there.

DickNervous
09-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Thank you Aero, all help is appreciated. :D

[DGN]Nexus
09-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Are you guys raffling one item a week or what? I would reccomend two or three a week at least so that people aren't just saving out for the big prizes...

Dante
09-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Once we know exactly how many prizes we are going to have, we will re evaluate how often we will raffle them off.

weirdguy
09-05-2005, 06:49 PM
money sent to rich@runtville.com

in the note is weirdguy

Dante
09-05-2005, 07:44 PM
money sent to rich@runtville.com

in the note is weirdguy

Thanks man! I hope thats a typo and you sent it to rich@gruntville.com not runtville...lol

weirdguy
09-05-2005, 08:01 PM
yeah, typo

Dark-hobo
09-07-2005, 05:12 AM
I sent $20 via paypal. Email address is burninhobo@bendcable.com real name is Rodney Emrick.

Malatory
09-07-2005, 08:51 AM
So you all know ... so far there has been $500.oo raised for this.

Woohoo!!!!

Dante
09-07-2005, 11:09 AM
So you all know ... so far there has been $500.oo raised for this.

Woohoo!!!!
So true... and we haven't even sent out the press release yet :eek: . So that just goes to show how truly awesome the modding community is...give yourselves a pat on the back for being as generous and giving as you are.

Dante
09-07-2005, 11:10 AM
I sent $20 via paypal. Email address is burninhobo@bendcable.com real name is Rodney Emrick.
Thanks dude...you rock!

confuzzedintelguy
09-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Posted this on my forum with a link directing them here :) GL and you guys rock, i hope to make a donation soon i need to pay my bills first :(

DickNervous
09-08-2005, 10:21 AM
I have been remiss in stoping in here to thank people, so here I am.

Thank you Weirdguy and Dark Hobo and everyone else. It is true, we have raised over $500 already without really any advertising. We are working out the details about sponsors and making sure that we can collect the money without problems. I have heard about some "issues" with using PayPal for something like this and while I have called them and received verbal assurances, I want to dot my i's and cross my t's to make sure this goes off without a hitch.

Also, just an FYI, I am looking into forming a legal non-profit organization, just trying to figure out if I can do this without hiring a lawyer 'cause I don't have that kind of $$ and I refuse to take it out of the donations.

And Nexus, we will probably raffl off things in lots. So let's say a generous sponsor was to give us 5 cases, we would raffle all 5 one week. If we had gift certificates from a sponsor, we would prob do them all one week as well. As for big items, we are going to throw them in the mix whenever we deem it is worthwhile. :D

Gotta keep you guys on your toes.

And again, thank you so much for not only giving, but for the moral support in our efforts to do this.

E

Azoxy
09-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Figured I toss $20 into the mix... Thanks for setting this up the way you guyz did, gotta love it!

I can only imagine the images I see every day do not even come close to capturing the true devastation of the areas involved in this natural disaster. My thoughts continue to go out to those effected by this event...

Dante
09-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Figured I toss $20 into the mix... Thanks for setting this up the way you guyz did, gotta love it!

I can only imagine the images I see every day do not even come close to capturing the true devastation of the areas involved in this natural disaster. My thoughts continue to go out to those effected by this event...

Thanks man...you rock.

[DGN]Nexus
09-09-2005, 12:59 PM
The Gaming group that I am with (DaltonGamersNetwork, or DGN) is a non-profit organization. All that we did was go to a bank and set up a bank account and then requested non-profit status. We filled out some forms and they were sent into be approved or whatever, and now we host LANs, taking money only to help us grow. Right now we are actually planning on having a LAN in the Nov. or Dec. timeframe that would help TC Thompson's Children Research Hospital. Kindof a Charity LAN.

Anyway, off of that flabbergastioness.. (is that a word?) I don't think it would be that difficult and you will probably not need a lawyer to get non-profit status.

Hope this helps. :)

DickNervous
09-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Well, in NY you have to create the corporation first. And that needs to have by-laws and officers and stuff. Then you need to apply for non-profit status. At that point you get your federal id number and open the bank account. The State filing fees alone are about $400, and if you saw these forms we have up here, you would go running for a lawyer to fill them out.

A friend of my mom is an officer in a local non-profit. I am going to talk to her tonight about partnering with them for this raffle. This will allow us to make everything tax deductable.

[DGN]Nexus
09-09-2005, 03:55 PM
hmmm... interesting. The phrase

We're not in Kansas anymore Toto!

comes to mind.

DickNervous
09-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Okay, so I said we would have a raffle every week, and we will. Tonight when I get home I will be picking the winner of a 380w Cooler Master power supply. I wanted to do it Friday but we have been very busy lining up sponsors and working on a web site and stuff like that.

Thank you everyone for your support. :D

Zeus
09-12-2005, 10:01 AM
If you guys have a dedicated website, why don't you post the link? That way we can all check it out. ;)

DickNervous
09-12-2005, 01:21 PM
'cause it aint ready yet. :)

Have no fear, there will be linkage once it is ready, which we are hoping will be very very soon.

Zeus
09-12-2005, 03:31 PM
BTW, some of my friends from my wifeaggro forum are wondering if you are starting the raffles yet. I think you said you had already started pulling names, but I haven't seen anything announcing what is being raffled. Just some of the questions I have been asked.

weirdguy
09-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Yeah I was under the impression that every friday ment last friday too but....

DickNervous
09-13-2005, 12:24 AM
We have our first winner. The receipient of a brand news Cooler Master 380w PSU is....

The winner is...... Bum (GruntvillE Forum name)! (Raffle Ticket #53)

Congrats dude!!

And this is the raffle for the friday that just passed. We have been really busy trying to get things setup for the launch or the website and our press blitz, sorry it was late. We will have the next one on this Friday night.

We haven't announced what is being raffled because we are still collecting items, but the sponsors we have so far are AMD, Cooler Master, Kingston, Crucial, NXZT, and Silverstone, so I think you can all guess what some of the prizes are. :D

Dark-hobo
09-13-2005, 01:10 AM
You should contact dangerden and see if they will sponsor it, also try zalman, and the makers of the black-ice radiators(forgot their name). That way we can get some cooling stuff in there.

I am also going to post this on a site I frequantly visit.

Useless Fodder
09-13-2005, 02:10 AM
You should contact dangerden and see if they will sponsor it, also try zalman, and the makers of the black-ice radiators(forgot their name). That way we can get some cooling stuff in there.

This is a good idea. From what I saw at PDXLAN, DangerDen has no problems giving away tons of stuff.

Some others that were there and gave a bunch away: OCZ, DFI, Intel (I'm sure some people like them), Mountain Mods, and BFG. That's all that I can remember. They were great contributers and are, for the most part, smaller companies with more heart. Just some thoughts.

[DGN]Nexus
09-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Off Topic:

PDXLAN.... one of these days I want to go to one of their Lan Parties..

Zeus
09-13-2005, 02:09 PM
May I suggest that given the nature of this thread, we try not to stray from the given topic. Just a thought.

Dark-hobo
09-13-2005, 03:23 PM
May I suggest that given the nature of this thread, we try not to stray from the given topic. Just a thought.

I shall make a new one! For discussion!

[DGN]Nexus
09-13-2005, 03:55 PM
It was one post... chill out

Zeus
09-13-2005, 04:01 PM
I wasn't trying to jump down anyone's throat. I just wanted to prevent thread entropy. It's all cool.

DickNervous
10-07-2005, 08:27 PM
And the winner is.....

.. TheAnimist....

Congrats on the Silverstone Prize Pack.

Next weeks prize.... well, let's just say it's from AMD and we will leave you guessing at the rest... :D

DickNervous
10-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Here is another hint on the 10/14 prize....

It is in this picture:

http://hardwareforhumanity.org/images/cpus.gif

[DGN]Nexus
10-09-2005, 04:57 PM
all of them in one drawing.... cool :)

DickNervous
10-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Nexus']all of them in one drawing.... cool :)

No. I wish, but no. We will be giving away a 3800 Dual Core this week and a 55-FX next week.

Azoxy
10-09-2005, 10:28 PM
OOOOOOHHHHHHHH! I hope I win either week!!!

DickNervous
10-10-2005, 12:25 AM
OOOOOOHHHHHHHH! I hope I win either week!!!

There are 26 CPUs in that pic, so there are 26 chances to win one :D

Malatory
10-10-2005, 08:54 AM
There are 26 CPUs in that pic, so there are 26 chances to win one :D

26 CPUS OMG ... :eek: :eek: I would love to have them all (Just so I could take over the world, and then you can have them back).

DickNervous
10-10-2005, 09:23 AM
26 CPUS OMG ... :eek: :eek: I would love to have them all (Just so I could take over the world, and then you can have them back).
Hehe.. you should have seen my face when I opened the box. I was like, whooooooaaaaa. Then when I was checking the part numbers to verify exactly what they were is was like "Holy Sh!t!! It's a damn shame I have to give them all away.... "

Just imagine the numbers you could put up with these bad boys with a roomful of machines runing folding....

Ascoates
10-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Are people still able to make donations? Also what is the rough conversion rate as i am obviously not in the UK so I would like a rough idea of how much i am donating.

Malatory
10-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Are people still able to make donations? Also what is the rough conversion rate as i am obviously not in the UK so I would like a rough idea of how much i am donating.

Yes its still open.

what is the form of money you will be giving in to US Cash.

conversion tool: http://www.xe.com/ucc/

DickNervous
10-10-2005, 02:21 PM

You can make donations at any time via PayPal in US Dollars

. Just keep in mind two things. The first you already thought about, the conversion rate. The second is shipping costs. We are asking the winners to pick up the cost of shipping so we do not have to take it out of the donations, unless of course the sponsor is paying the shipping.

Also, any tickets you buy are good throughout the raffle. So we have 26 CPUs and a bunch more stuff, enough to do one raffle a week for almost 6 months. :D

Ascoates
10-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Ok thanks in tht case I will donate about 6 pound which turns out to be ten dollars.

I would donate more but with my contract phone and debt its all I can afford maybe next month there will be more :)

DickNervous
10-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Ok thanks in tht case I will donate about 6 pound which turns out to be ten dollars.

I would donate more but with my contract phone and debt its all I can afford maybe next month there will be more :)

Every little bit helps, and Thank You!

weirdguy
10-11-2005, 10:55 PM
wait, I thought you said that TCBS would pick up shipping?

DickNervous
10-11-2005, 11:08 PM
wait, I thought you said that TCBS would pick up shipping?

The winner has the option of paying the shipping or Hardware for Humanity will pick it up. If we do, it comes out of the donations, so everyone so far has paid the shipping. And that is only for continental US.

Any international winners will have to pay shipping and insurance, if appropriate.

Besides, are you going to quibble $10-15 when you just won a $900 CPU for a less then $50 invetment?

Ascoates
10-12-2005, 05:57 AM
thats sounds fair to me and if i win i would hopefully be able to pay the amount.

DickNervous
10-13-2005, 09:02 AM
We have surpassed the $1,300 mark in donations! Thanks to everyone who has donated/bought tickets and make sure you spread the word! :D

DickNervous
10-14-2005, 11:42 PM
We have a Winner! The first of 26 AMD CPUs goes to

GandalfDaGrey!

Thanks for your support and get ready for next week when we give away an FX-55!

Dark-hobo
10-22-2005, 12:00 AM
new winner?

DickNervous
10-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Yes, the winner of the FX-55 is Boddaker from the GruntvillE forums. .:D

Next week will be another CPU, a Sempron 3200 (i think, it might be 3400 and I am too lazy to check right now).

Dark-hobo
10-22-2005, 12:29 AM
You make me sad :p.

DickNervous
10-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Maybe this will cheer you up, since next weekend is Halloween H4H is going to give everyone a treat and give away not 1, but at least 2 Sempron CPUs!

:)

Dark-hobo
10-23-2005, 01:47 AM
nice :p. Man AMD is awesome, I still cannot believe how many processors they donated.

slaveofconvention
10-23-2005, 04:44 AM
You have sent a payment! An email has been sent to the recipient.

There's my $20 guys - keep it up :)

DickNervous
10-23-2005, 01:05 PM
nice :p. Man AMD is awesome, I still cannot believe how many processors they donated.

Yeah, when John (GruntmaN) called me to tell me that AMD was sending some CPUs I was like "Way cool!" Then he told me they planned on sending like 18-20. Then 26 showed up and I almost fell over.

DickNervous
10-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Well, I promised a Halloween Treat from H4H and we got it. Not 1, not 2, but 3 AMD Sempron64 3400+ CPUs are going out this week to the following lucky people....

Shane Unrein from Bjorn3d! Congrats!
Anthony Anderson! Congrats!

and GruntvillE's very own favorite person to pick on....

John "PJX5X" Albergo!! Congrats!

You should all have e-mails with instructions so get back to me!

Next week we will take a break from the CPUs and give away some kick a$$ hardware, an Innovatek XXS Water Cooling kit supplied by HighSpeed PC (http://www.highspeedpc.com)!

Dark-hobo
11-06-2005, 06:53 AM
Did you forget to draw on friday :p

DickNervous
11-06-2005, 11:14 AM
No I did not, just forgot to post it.

The winner of the Innovatek XXS water cooling kit was Kendrick "aznenstein" Wong from HardOCP.

This coming friday we will be giving away some CoolerMaster cases.

DickNervous
11-12-2005, 12:21 AM
This week we have 3 prizes, all Cooler Master cases, all with a PSU (we think 350 Watt, CM didn't tell us).

The first case, a Cavalier, goes to..... Bryan "The Duct Tape Warrior" Richardson! Congrats!

The second case, another Cavalier goes to..... Steve Simonds! Cograts!

The third case is a Centurion and goes to.... Ryan "Zenith" Clark! Congrats!

Congrats to all three of you and lets see some cool mods!

For next week's raffle we have..... well, I don't know yet.

Dark-hobo
11-21-2005, 02:05 AM
so who won on the 18th?

DickNervous
12-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Okay folks, here are the last winners of the Original Hardware for Humanity Raffle:

Thomas Fong won 1gb Kingston DDR2 RAM!
Golfrichie won an NXZT case!
Evil Buritto, JamisonH, and Strid3r have each won a Cooler Master 380w PSU!

Congrats to all the winners!

We will be starting a new raffle sometime this week to raise some money for a charity that helps make the holidays a little better for kids who have to spend them in the hospital. I am trying to work out the details with them. It will be for 2 CPUs. I will keep you posted.

For those here who have not been following the discussion over at GruntvillE, here is a quick update. We have not gotten a new donation in over 2 weeks. So we are ending the original raffle by giving away everything we have left except fot the CPUs. We have raised just over $2,000, which after PayPal takes their cut is $1,960. I am going to kick in the last $40 to make it an even $2,000 and give the money to the Salvation Army for Hurricane Relief.

Next, I am trying to team up with Child's Play (http://childsplaycharity.org) to raffle off 2 CPUs in the month of December to help them out. Then armed with about 18 CPUs, sometime in January we will be starting weekly raffles, with everything resetting each week, for the CPUs. Whatever we raise then will go to Habitat for Humanity's hurricane relief efforts.

Once that is done... well, who knows.

Finally, I want to thank each and every one of you for making H4H a success and supporting our efforts to help out.

Thanks
- Rich

Rankenphile
12-05-2005, 12:39 AM
This is such a good cause. I hope you can find new donors for the next round.

Zeus
12-05-2005, 01:05 PM
indeed. I would like to see this become a more frequent event. there are always good charities out there that need money

DickNervous
12-05-2005, 01:10 PM
I want to keep it gong long term, we will see how it goes.

With about 20 CPUs left after the Child's Play raffle I have enough for about 5 months. If I can raise at least $1,000 a month I would be very happy. It would be nice to give a $1,000 check to a worthy cause every month....

DickNervous
12-14-2005, 04:06 PM
We have started taking donations for the CPU Raffle for Child's Play. $10/ticket.

We have an FX-55 and 4000+ to give away. Drawing is Dec 21 so get your donations in by the 20th!

Ascoates
12-27-2005, 06:25 AM
Hi i know I have asked this before but does anyone have a clear idea of what the conversion rate is for UK peoples.

Am guessing its too late for this draw but could Dick possibly add me on msn coatesanthony@hotmail.com so I have a good idea of when the raffle starts, please?

DickNervous
12-27-2005, 09:21 AM
We raised $375 for Child's Play and gave away 2 CPUs. Our next raffle will probably start later in January. We need to regroup and think through the promoting of what we do so we can get more people involved.

I will post here, on GruntvillE, and on the H4H site when the next one starts.

Thank you to everyone for your support.

Digital2D
03-08-2006, 09:56 AM
If you have something to say, say it to me. Don't mess with other sites forums.