PDA

View Full Version : Question about Portal (Game)

Zephik
12-29-2007, 04:12 AM
Just a quick question, wasn't sure where to post this though, we have so many categories! :p

Anyways, does the game Portal absolutely require a graphics card to run? or is on-board graphics okay?

Thanks for the info ^_^

Spawn-Inc
12-29-2007, 04:20 AM
should be in the second last part, the video games (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29) section :)

here are the specs from wiki

System requirements Minimum:
1.7 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, DirectX 8 compatible video card, Windows 2000/XP/Vista
Recommended:
Pentium 4 processor (3.0 GHz or better), 1 GB RAM, DirectX 9 compatible video card, Windows 2000/XP/Vista[2]

with that said i would say yes for most new boards.

Zephik
12-29-2007, 04:55 AM
Bummer. I just got it, but it won't start up. Well at least it didn't cost me anything. I'm sure not going to go buy a PCI graphics card. Man those things are expensive.

I would of thought I could turn down the graphics to as low as possible though, guess not. Maybe my PC is too old, its only like ten years old... lol

simon275
12-29-2007, 05:05 AM
Yeah it is just the source engine so same specs as HL2 and Source. So you will need a reasonable card a 8400 at a stretch would run it.

NightrainSrt4
12-29-2007, 08:59 PM
My old laptop ran HL2 fine at reasonable settings.

1.6Ghz core duo
1gb ram
nvidia 7400 GO

So any relatively reasonable gpu should be ok as that rig only got like 1200 on 3dmark06

Zephik
12-29-2007, 10:30 PM
My old laptop ran HL2 fine at reasonable settings.

1.6Ghz core duo
1gb ram
nvidia 7400 GO

So any relatively reasonable gpu should be ok as that rig only got like 1200 on 3dmark06

Thats old? I'd die to have that! lol

This is what I'm running now.

2.2Ghz Pentium 4 / Socket 478
512MB DDR
On-Board Graphics

Good old HP Pavilion 515n. Its only like around ten years old... lol

It does play San Andreas decently though.

noopypoop
12-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Dude, uprage, i literally finished wathcing the ending credits 30 seconds ago. Great game but i little on the easy side, even for me. UPRAGE so you can get this game :)

Zephik
12-30-2007, 12:27 AM
Dude, upgrade. I literally finished watching the ending credits 30 seconds ago. Great game but a little on the easy side, even for me. UPGRADE so you can get this game :)

Ah, but I would if I could. Nobody in their right mind, at least on this website, would settle for what I have if they could do something about it. Unfortunately, I can't at the moment. Maybe sometime in the future though.

I'm going to give it to my buddy, who has a pretty maxed out laptop. Maybe he'll let me play for awhile, since you know, I gave the game to him. But it is Portal after all, so I foresee a "kthxbai" in my near future. lol

Omega
12-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Yeah it is just the source engine so same specs as HL2 and Source. So you will need a reasonable card a 8400 at a stretch would run it.

8400 as a stretch? pff. You could run it on an nV 6 servies / ATi X800 series card.

NightrainSrt4
12-31-2007, 11:18 AM
Thats old? I'd die to have that! lol

It will be two years old come april. My brother was supposed to buy it from me a year ago, as it wipes his desktop to pieces. But at this point I doubt that will happen.

I upgraded to my macbook thats why its my "old" laptop. 2.0ghz core2 duo. 2gb ram. But no graphics card, so sucks huge monkey balls even compared to the 7400, least that ran oblivion well enough. But it was much smaller and lighter than the 17" HP thats why I got it. If only I had waited for the EEEpc I would have went with one of those because all I do is basic stuff on it, and the size would have been even better.

Do you have a 360 zephik? If you do Orange box is out on the 360. It might even be out on ps3 but i heard the framerates were crap on it. If not its all good bro. Portal will be a game to last the ages. Whenever you get to play it it will still be a great game.

Quakken
01-04-2008, 05:29 PM
8400 as a stretch? pff. You could run it on an nV 6 servies / ATi X800 series card.

HEY! my x800pro runs it FINE.

Jeez, we don't all need a next gen graphics card to run games. In fact, it runs every srouce engine game, all the half lifes, garry's mod, counter strike source... if i had a better processor, i could run those very well on high.

But I wouldn't suggest it, get a 3870.