PDA

View Full Version : Silly RAID question

Helix666
12-29-2007, 10:18 AM
So I've almost finished putting the component list for my new PC together and I'm gonna be using RAID-1 for my /home directory.
However, I've only got one of the two discs I need for the RAID set-up and am currently using it as I ran out of disc space on my normal HDD.
Is it possible, when setting up the RAID array, to preserve this data.
(I'm thinking along the lines of treating it as an array with a failed disc and just rebuild the array, saving the data.)
Or will I have to move all my documents to a separate medium, set up the array, then move them back?

calumc
12-29-2007, 10:25 AM
I have no experience with RAID but I'd say just burn it to a few dvds

Helix666
12-29-2007, 11:57 AM
ah, OK.

Cannibal23
12-29-2007, 03:01 PM
under most normal circumstances when you create a new raid volume out of more then one disk (depending on the utility used to make the raid set) the data on the volume is destroyed. i would say it would be best to copy it elseware and then put it back after. sometimes depending on the utility you can get away with leaving the data there and it will write it onto the mirrored disk but i would say if the data is important in this case its probably not worth the chance

Helix666
12-29-2007, 07:09 PM
OK, that makes sense.
I would have backed it up anyway. honestly...

Airbozo
12-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Cannibal is correct, when creating the raid set, ALL data will be destroyed.

Cannibal23
12-31-2007, 11:12 AM
and btw there is no such thing as a silly raid question. if your data is important, then its always best to check and double check before doing something that may compromise your datas availability. i would say this was a good raid question not a silly one :-) enjoy your mirrored raid dude. may hard drive failure never cause data loss ever again for you :-)

Helix666
12-31-2007, 12:49 PM
OK, thanks guys.
&me goes to hunt down his stack of DVDs...