PDA

View Full Version : Question about new worklog

Rankenphile
09-07-2005, 11:54 AM
With any luck, I may be able to start my newest mod project here in a couple weeks, and wanted to keep a work log. It is not exactly a PC mod, as I am obtaining a classic Galaga arcade cabinet and modding it to house an Xbox with a mod chip in it. I am going to be installing new speakers, new monitor and all sorts of other goodies, but am unsure if this is appropriate for this forum.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

BTW, I am adding an Xbox instead of a PC for a number of reasons - most of which is cost, ease of installation and availability.

Visionism
09-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Please, please don't mutilate that Galaga. There are literally hundreds of cabinets that change hands every year for little to no money. I got my Atari System I cab for $50 and sold all the parts that came in it for $70! Unless that Galaga cabinet is destined for the dumpster and the art is completely destroyed then it's worth preserving. There may be a collector in your area who would exchange that cab for something a little less classic. the rec.games.video.arcade.collecting newsgroup is a good place to start, as are the forums at www.arcadecontrols.com

If, on the other hand you're doing a well thought out conversion that's completely reversible, meaning that it can be converted back to a pristine Galaga then I owe you a beer for preserving our gaming heritage. 8)

Aero
09-07-2005, 08:47 PM
What you should try to do is make it so it will run both, Galaga and Xbox, that would just be sweet. But yes this would be the correct forum to post it and give a walk through as you build it. If you just want to show the finished project, post it in the Project Galleries here:http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Rankenphile
09-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Thanks, Aero.

As for the artwork, it is pretty beaten up. THere is a fully working Galaga machine in the shop, this is an old and busted box that doesn't function at all.

I'm going to be converting the box to run the modded Xbox, that will run full MAME emulator (pretty much every classic arcade game ever, including Galaga), NES Emulator, SNES Emulator, Genesis Emulator, and run a modded version of Windows Media Center. If everything goes as planned.

So don't worry about preserving gaming heritage - if I had the means I would restore it back to its original days (and plan on doing just that with a number of other cabinets eventually) but this is going to be my all-in-one-box arcade cabinet, and it is the only cabinet available for the price (free). This will basically be the entertainment center in my garage while I do other mods, as it will play movies, live television and play music, as well as rock the gaming scene.

You'll see.