PDA

View Full Version : Xbox media server

DaJe
01-01-2008, 04:57 PM
So I still have my original xbox lying around. I have no use for it anymore. I decided to open it up to see what's inside. I was thinking of modding it and using it as a regular computer. It's actually already softmodded and has some linux thing on it. I was thinking of just taking out the original motherboard and power supply and replacing it with my own parts.

I was thinking this Micro ITX motherboard would be good. Has two RAM slots and a PCI slot. I only need one PCI slot for a wireless card to network it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153077

Now that motherboard is listed as having a CPU socket 479, even though I don't think there is a 479, but there is a 478. It also says it's compatible with a core 2 duo, but that would need an LGA 775. I already have an old 3.40GHZ Pentium 4 socket 478 processor, so I can use that.

That thing heats up like a bitch though. So I'd have to figure out what I'd do for cooling. I could have an exhaust fan in the top of the case where the Xbox logo is. Or I could try to build in a water cooling system. i want to keep everything within the case though.

RAM is cheap and all the same, this should do.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227117

Now, this power supply doesn't have the best reviews, but it's cheap, and most importantly it's small. I need something slim and long for it to fit in the Xbox case. Hopefully it won't explode.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338009

So I already have a processor a hard drive and a wireless card. Should cost me about $250 or maybe $300 at most to have a media server Xbox that i can store all of my video and music and everything on.

NightrainSrt4
01-01-2008, 05:45 PM
You won't be able to use your 478 cpu on it. Socket 479 is a laptop socket, so your not going to be able to. It supports Core 2's and such because they have to be the laptop version/socket. These aren't exactly cheap so it may be a little better to look into a different board.

Edit: On the plus side it takes regular desktop ram so you would be ok with that set, although for like 10 extra bucks after rebates you could have 2gb instead of 1.

DaJe
01-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Well that's some bull*** right there. I'll have to buy a motherboard from somewhere else then. Why would they give a desktop motherboard a damn laptop processor.

Raz1r
01-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Honestly, I think you should just keep the original Xbox stuff inside, maybe get a larger hard drive and a X3 and mod it out. I'm getting dual 4" cold cathodes for my xbox.

It'd be a lot cheaper that way. You can spend more on a Hard drive (mine has a 400GB Seagate) and casemods and such. Plus if you're a gamer it's a huge plus to be able to run games off of the HD. I've got 20 Xbox games, Every Genesis, NES, Commodore 64, and a bunch of playstation games.

If you're just using it as a media server the original xbox is overkill enough.

Luke122
01-03-2008, 03:28 AM
Unless you own all those games, that's piracy, which is not allowed on this site.

I agree with keeping the original Xbox hardware in there, as XBMC makes for a damn fine media server if you plug in a biiiig hard drive. I've read about units with multiple 750gb hdd's, but since this is of questionable legality, I wont link to them. But Google it to see what I mean. ;)

simon275
01-03-2008, 04:12 PM
It'd be a lot cheaper that way. You can spend more on a Hard drive (mine has a 400GB Seagate) and casemods and such. Plus if you're a gamer it's a huge plus to be able to run games off of the HD. I've got 20 Xbox games, Every Genesis, NES, Commodore 64, and a bunch of playstation games.

Putting in your own hard drive is fine and backing up media that you own to it is fine. Discussion of of pirating software is not allowed here as it reflects badly on the forum.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Raz1r
01-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Sorry simon. Won't do it again.

My point is that it would be a lot cheaper to mod it out by keeping the original hardware. There's lots of documentation to help you out and if you've got some soldering skills you're pretty much good to go. Even if you don't there are other methods. Just be sure to read up on everything before you do something.

And all of my 20 Xbox games I own, along with all of my Playstation games. And I own all the games that the Big N and Sega would care about. I got to move all my C64 floppies into the garage too! It's a great way to consolidate is what I really meant.;)

billygoat333
01-16-2008, 09:52 PM
weird, i am actually doing this as we speak.

SgtM
01-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Putting in your own hard drive is fine and backing up media that you own to it is fine. Discussion of of pirating software is not allowed here as it reflects badly on the forum.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Billygoat333.. this applies to you as well, and is the reason why your post was edited.

billygoat333
01-16-2008, 10:48 PM
there is no pirated software going on... linux isn't copied games or anything like that. plus in the development of xlinux they didnt use the xdk, which would have been illegal. its all homebrew open source coding, nothing illegal about that (the guys at xbox-linux.org even tried telling microsoft about the exploits of their system so they could stop pirated games from happening... which they didnt respond to apparently). I am sorry if it came across as me pirating software, and didnt want to be! :S again, sorry :up:

Ap1thy
01-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Well that's some bull*** right there. I'll have to buy a motherboard from somewhere else then. Why would they give a desktop motherboard a damn laptop processor.

mobile socket 479 processors are cheap... picked up a 1.5 centrino for a grand total of $5 on ebay

edit: meh nevermind, did actually open the link so itd need somemthing more like a core2solo or smth rather than the older pentium