PDA

View Full Version : Some problems with shuting down.... again....

Fuganater
01-03-2008, 10:17 AM
OK well it seems that I am having the same problems that I was having when I built my dad's computer. For the past 2 weeks my computer has been shutting down when I play a newer game. I was like, ok, I need to beef it up. But I looked at the specs and I'm spanking all of them. WTF!?!?!? So beyond that...

Some games run fine and others make the computer shutdown. Then I though I needed one of those Phyx cards. Well apparently you don't because my friend runs them on his 2 year old Alienware with no problems, but I still have better stuff than him in mine.

So I started to reinstall XP because I though it might just be a OS problem. Well when I went to reinstall the computer shut down.... WTF?!?!? It would shutdown on the format. Then I went to turn it back on and it shut down in like 15 secs.

I think it is the Processor overheating but I don't understand why. I reapplied Thermal Paste and reseated the heatsink. I don't know why this would have just happened. I also ran a RAM test when I tried installing Vista (thought it would change the outcome) and it shutdown at like 40% left in the test. Specs are listed in my sig so if you have any suggestions please tell me.

Personally I think there is something wrong with my processor. I really don't want to have to replace it because I have to buy a car this weekend (long story). So I think I can still get that Quad but idk...

Please suggest.

-Fuga

xRyokenx
01-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Check and see if the heatsink is making contact with the CPU. I had a problem with that when I installed my new mobo but it would turn off in about 15 seconds... I'd also check temperatures, that might be it. Or it could be your PSU being underpowered. That's my .02.

Cannibal23
01-03-2008, 11:36 AM
thats all good advice. make sure your fans are all running and that your getting good contact. if you are over clocking perhaps try to set it back to stock clock and see how it reacts to the same games. beyond that it could be as before mentioned a power supply that is weak or trying to fail also it could a bad chunk of ram.

personaly i would check thermal first just so we dont cook something then set it back to stock clock if your overclocking it. if problem still exists then take out all the ram but one stick. see what it does there. the installer for windows should not be that stressfull on your pc to make it reboot.

Fuganater
01-03-2008, 11:40 AM
I just replaced the PSU because I thought that was the problem. Its a brandy new Antec TruePower 650W. It was making contact before. I don't know why it died for some games and in didn't for other games.

Fuganater
01-03-2008, 12:06 PM
The RAM works because I tried it in my dad's system. I just contacted Intel about having my processor and heatsink replaced because I have the 3 year warranty on it. So I'll troubleshoot the system some more tonight and see if I can get it to work.

Suggestions still welcome!!

Fuganater
01-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Well I had to take the processor out and read off the writing on it to validate my warranty. So I put it back in and attached the heatsink and gave it one last shot. Well now it works -.- I think the heatsink was just being friggen weird or something cuz now it runs all the games with ease. So I might not have to send it back.

cjtaylor0103
01-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Well I had to take the processor out and read off the writing on it to validate my warranty. So I put it back in and attached the heatsink and gave it one last shot. Well now it works -.- I think the heatsink was just being friggen weird or something cuz now it runs all the games with ease. So I might not have to send it back.

The three "R's" of troubleshooting---Reseat, Reboot, Repent (for not using AMD =) )

haha49
01-07-2008, 03:40 PM
many reasons a computer wil turn off during a game is they are under full load at that time and more load means more power more power = more heat.. what are you runing and what are the temps of the card mb and cpu at idle.. and what is the fan placement of the fans in the case a friend of mine put them all in and it would over heat and shutdown on him all the time.. just because the heat wasnt removed..

Fuganater
01-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Ive done full stress tests and benchmarking on it and its running fine. I think that the heatsink got loose somehow.... idk. But at least it works now.

As for the temps they were all normal at idle. Its only when I started a "newer" game that the processor would get so hot to shut it down.

So all good. Thanks all!!