PDA

View Full Version : Installing XP on a CF-W7 Toughbook

Luke122
01-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Panasonic Toughbook CF-W7

Have you ever seen a rugged notebook? They are typically ugly, heavy, and slow. As soon as I heard “New toughbook”, I assumed the worst. Military spec with fat rubber pads on the outside, 10+ lbs, and a tiny, dark screen.

When it showed up in my office, I was completely unprepared. The CF-W7 (http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=202167&catGroupId=36001&surfModel=Toughbook-W7&displayTab=O) is gorgeous! It’s sexy, sleek, lightweight, has a bright screen, and a super slick optical drive.

What’s the problem then?

Windows Vista was installed on it, and the legacy software that needs to be installed on it will not work under Vista. So, we downgrade to XP.

There’s a few things to note here though.

When you start the XP install, you need to press F6 to supply a driver for the HDD controller. This driver was a pain to find, but can be downloaded at this url:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pc/cgi-bin/itn/toughbook/dl02.cgi?main=10440

Once you get that file downloaded, run it, and it will extract a program to make a floppy disk to be used for the XP installation.

There’s one more step though, which isn’t documented here.

Since the toughbook has no internal floppy drive, you’ll need to use a USB one for the install. The BIOS sees it as an external floppy, so it’ll work at first. Once it gets to the part where it actually starts to copy the files, it will fail, saying it cant read the floppy.

What you need to do is open the txtsetup.oem file (with notepad) on the diskette on another computer, and add a few lines.

Under this heading:

[HardwareIds.scsi.iaAHCI_ICH8M]
id= “PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106”,”iaStore”

add these lines:

id = "USB\VID_03F0&PID_2001", "usbstor" #--HP
id = "USB\VID_054C&PID_002C", "usbstor" #--Sony
id = "USB\VID_057B&PID_0001", "usbstor" #--Y-E Data
id = "USB\VID_0409&PID_0040", "usbstor" #--NEC
id = "USB\VID_0424&PID_0FDC", "usbstor" #--SMSC
id = "USB\VID_08BD&PID_1100", "usbstor" #--Iomega
id = "USB\VID_055D&PID_2020", "usbstor" #--Samsung

Save it, exit, and run the install again, selecting F6, then specifying the driver for the HDD controller.

Yay! It works now!

-Luke

Luke122
01-03-2008, 06:38 PM
This method can also be used to load other drivers during the installation of XP, including USB flashdrives, etc. :)

DeuceX
01-13-2008, 05:04 AM
Clarification for you...none of the UltraLites are "military grade" only the cf-29 and cf-30 are. The cf-w7 is a straight business model not intended for any heavy use. Trust me I work on panasonic laptops for a living.

Greco101
01-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Clarification for you...none of the UltraLites are "military grade" only the cf-29 and cf-30 are. The cf-w7 is a straight business model not intended for any heavy use. Trust me I work on panasonic laptops for a living.

and cf-27 but they're dinosaurs.

Luke122
01-28-2008, 07:12 PM

Which is why I said, "I assumed the worst. Military spec with fat rubber pads on the outside, 10+ lbs, and a tiny, dark screen."

Thankfully, it was nothing like that at all.

If you work on these for a living, answer me this: Why is Painasonics support site so hard to navigate? It took me forever to find "most" of the drivers for this thing! I still have two unidentified devices in the device mangler..

Luke122
02-06-2008, 12:43 PM
I used this trick again today! While tossing Vista out on its ass, and installing XP X64 on Throttle, I was loading the RAID drivers from a USB key. As soon as it loaded the file, it would ask for the disk.. just like before. Added the same lines into the appropriate place on the txtsetup.oem file, and it's golden. :)

DeuceX
02-28-2008, 02:18 AM
If you work on these for a living, answer me this: Why is Painasonics support site so hard to navigate? It took me forever to find "most" of the drivers for this thing! I still have two unidentified devices in the device mangler..

Sorry, I have no idea. I work for an authorized service center, doing warrenty component level repair on Toughbook motherboards.

Luke122
02-28-2008, 12:43 PM
:(

DejavuMoon
02-02-2009, 01:02 AM
Hi everybody,
I installed XP on CF-W7B Toughbook.
I've installed audio driver downloaded from Toughbook site.
I cannot hear sound from laptop speaker, but I can hear it when I use earphone. What could the problem be?

Luke122
02-02-2009, 02:17 AM
That's the exact same issue I ran into with the one I was working on. The solution? I dont know.. the owner uses it exclusively for work in his vehicle and on job sites, so he isnt worried at all about the sound. Bugs me though..

Rolanbek
04-04-2009, 05:37 AM
First of all thank you very much Luke122. Your post helped me a lot while I was installing XP to my CF-W7D and damping Vista from it.
Secondly, maybe you already found the drives and all but here is link to Panasonic thoughbook drivers. http://pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp/cgi-bin/itn/toughbook/dl01.cgi
Luke122 and DeuceX regarding two unknown devices: one should be misc driver and second should be hotkey driver. The tricky part of installing these drivers is you should do following:
1. Run update driver at (Other devices)- (Unknown devices) in the device manager.
2. Select “c:util2/drivers/hotkey“ and press next
Same thing should be done for newmisc and both unknown device things will be gone…

Mine are gone and audio is also working properly

feuan
11-04-2010, 08:09 PM
When you start the XP install, you need to press F6 to supply a driver for the HDD controller. This driver was a pain to find, but can be downloaded at this url:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pc/cgi-bin/itn/toughbook/dl02.cgi?main=10440

Once you get that file downloaded, run it, and it will extract a program to make a floppy disk to be used for the XP installation.

There’s one more step though, which isn’t documented here.

Since the toughbook has no internal floppy drive, you’ll need to use a USB one for the install. The BIOS sees it as an external floppy, so it’ll work at first. Once it gets to the part where it actually starts to copy the files, it will fail, saying it cant read the floppy.

What you need to do is open the txtsetup.oem file (with notepad) on the diskette on another computer, and add a few lines.

Under this heading:

add these lines:

Save it, exit, and run the install again, selecting F6, then specifying the driver for the HDD controller.

Yay! It works now!

-Luke

Dear Luke,

You may have forgotten about this while I am writing for requests. I would like to ask you two questions:

1. Can you again provide link for HDD controller set up because the previous link is already changed.

2. For the txtsetup. I would like to show my understanding. Correct me if I am wrong.

a. open notepad, name it as *txtsetup.oem*
b. copy the following text inside:

And keep follow your step.

Thanks in advance.

Luke122
11-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Good morning Feuan, and welcome to TBCS!

Unfortunately I no longer have access to this laptop (it was destroyed more than a year ago in an accident), and as I recall, Panasonic's software download repository was very disorganized at that time. You have luck just searching from their site to locate the file required. Try here: http://pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp/itn/drivers/d_menu_en.html

As for the second part of your request, there will be a file named "txtsetup.oem" included with the driver for the HDD controller. If you open it up in notepad, and add those lines of text, that's all you need to do. When the XP setup loads the HDD controller driver for the setup (by pressing F6 on the initial launch of the setup), it will also load the USB driver for the floppy disk, and you are good to go.

Luke122
11-05-2010, 09:44 AM
This link might help also:

http://pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp/dl/docs/10440?sri=293943&trn_org=5