PDA

View Full Version : tagging images / metatags?

Omega
01-05-2008, 01:57 AM
I was wondering.

I have a lot (I mean upwards of 30gb or so) of images, and frankly I'm not fond of spending hours trying to find a specific one because I didn't put it in the right folder. So I was wondering if there's a way to manage images internally, like a *booru does. (For those that don't know what a booru is, it's basically a website where members upload images, tag them, then people can search for things, usually associated with anime pictures, wallpapers, other stuff, you know)

I want to see if I can tag images locally and have maybe just as my homepage or something on firefox, a page that lets me search for images based on their tags. This way I won't need duplicates in different sections, and I can type in "sig" or something and get sigs, or type in "konata" and get pictures of konata, etc.

So, anybody else look into this and have some tips? It'd be a lot more convenient than organizing huge lumps of images every few months, and it'd be a LOT easier to find anything.

IndyRacer27
01-05-2008, 02:27 AM
Sounds like a database. Use any sql database you want. I am using sqlite (http://www.sqlite.org/index.html) for a similar project. For mine, I wrote a small program with buttons and such that I click to select various things to filter for. That program then writes a file and then calls firefox to open this file. The difficult (time consuming) part is tagging the pictures so that they can be searched.

As far as a program that is already out there, I'd be interested to hear about it also. Mine is becoming a monster as I didn't really plan it out very well at the beginning, I just started coding, so I'm contemplating starting over now that I have more of a picture of how I want it to work.

calumc
01-05-2008, 08:41 AM
JPEGS can take meta tags, I use F-Spot to manage them under linux, No idea of what you could use under windows :-/
Picasa maybe?

jbaldwinroberts
01-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I use picasa on windows and it works pretty well for me. i have about 45gb of pictures and videos. Took me about an hour to sort out when i first got it but for the last year i haven't had to do anything.

-Joe

si-skyline
01-05-2008, 10:43 AM
cant you just use the file summary feature within windows and then just use the search feature..

eg. put the keyword or subject as sig or something and then use the advanced search feature.