PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed Asap

Torn
01-07-2008, 05:27 AM
hello everyone, long time no see! ain't had nothing to post. but still check the forum!

i need your help. im building a server ATM at work(im at work now!) and it has windows XP Pro installed on it. the only thing is, the server has 12 x 750GB HDD in it.(around 7-8TB after the Raid does its bit)

as you all know(well, most people), windows don't support nothing higher then 2TB.

so i need to create some 2TB partitions. only thing is, i don't know of any software what will see the phisical size of the drives, and not what windows is telling it to see(only showing up in disk manager as 2TB)

can anyone help me? this system needs to go out today :(

thanks in advance,

Torn!!

Needsleep
01-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Partition Logic (http://partitionlogic.org.uk/) may be helpful if ur looking for a freebie solution (it has it's limits though) other than that.... the choice of partitioning software is huge.....

i was once reccomended this (http://www.sadevelopment.com/) but never got a chance to play with it

hope that helps a lil

:D

SgtM
01-07-2008, 10:09 AM
^^
Ditto

Luke122
01-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Why XP Pro on a server?

I would just install Server 2k3 on it.

Cannibal23
01-07-2008, 12:32 PM
there are several partitioning tools to use. Paragon Partition Manager does a great job on our server at work. Alot of products wont work on server 2003 based partitions because they want to milk you for the enterprise edition but this one works perfect.

.Maleficus.
01-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Get SystemRescueCD and use GParted. Free, easy, awesome.

SgtM
01-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Why XP Pro on a server?

I would just install Server 2k3 on it.

Or linux.

Luke122
01-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Or linux.

Yes, or linux. I was just thinking that if he had XP on there, it needed to be an MS environment. :)

Torn
01-17-2008, 03:03 PM
lol. sorry for such a late reply, first of all. i build the systems not sell them! lol. he wanted XP pro. so we installed it, you don't chat back at customers when they want you to build them a 9TB server! hehe

how we overcome this problem, was with a feature built into the raid Controler called Auto Carving. you specify how many partitions. and what your max size can be. and it does it all for you!! curse myself for not reading the manual for the new cards i work with!!