PDA

View Full Version : Review: Asus Eee PC 4G 701 Galaxy Black

progbuddy
01-07-2008, 07:11 PM
(Yes, I am quite back.)

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/Asus_Eee_701.jpg

This is a review of the Asus Eee PC 701 4G in Galaxy Black.

I received my Eee PC from www.newegg.com last week. Shipping was strange, as it was the New Year's crap that every shipping company tries to pull. Came in one piece though :). On it now writing this review.

Packaging: (10/10)

The Packaging was simple--a box smaller than my father's Toshiba laptop. Inside, was the Eee PC, power adapter, warrantees, instructions, manuals, battery, and carrying case. Was easy to take out of box and easy to assemble (put battery in, lock it, plug the charger into wall.)

Functionality: (9/10)

This laptop is extremely portable (one half the size of my brother's 15.4" HP). Goes just about anywhere you want to take it. The keyboard is small, but gets easier to use as you begin to use it (I was used to it within 30 minutes; now I can type 70-80 wpm on this keyboard). The touchpad is fairly nice, with scrolling feature, and a single bar that acts as both left and right click depending on which side is depressed. The only problem I have is with the right shift key being so close to the (up) arrow. 3.5-Hour battery life, charger is as small as cell phone charger (no power "brick"), and it makes as a great web surfing computer with Atheros 802.11 b/g.

Hardware: (9/10)

This laptop is solidly built throughout. Great quality. Has:

-4 GB Solid State Disk
-512 MB DDR2 667 standard (upgradeable to 2 GB [one slot 200-pin SO-DIMM])
-Intel Dothan-based mobile CPU (630 MHz-900MHz)
-built-in webcam and microphone
-3 USB 2.0 Ports
-VGA out for external monitor
-SD/MMC (SDHC compatible) card reader
-Built-in speakers with Intel HD Audio codec
-Mic and Headphone ports
-Atheros Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g
-Lithium-Ion 5200 mAh (3.5 hour battery life)
-7" LCD display (800x600)

I was surprised that the screen is highly readable and clear despite its small size. Colors look great, and the VGA-out supports up to 1600x1200. Webcam looks great, and the sound is amazing. The little CPU behind the Xandros-based operating system pushes it along nicely, producing little heat, which is removed by a small heatsink/fan (barely audible). The 512 MB RAM might be a bit of a hang-up on the system, but I bought a 1 GB SODIMM for 23.99 to go along with this laptop (Crucial with Micron D9FTP chips), and it runs everything great. Lack of CD drive wasn't much of a set-back, because it makes it so much smaller and more power-efficient.

Software: (10/10)

The Xandros-based operating system has everything I need, from Skype and Firefox, to Amarok and OpenOffice 2.0. The Eee PC can also run Windows Vista and Windows XP/XP Pro if you like. Xandros even has games and such for when you get bored :P. The whole OS is linux-based, and is divvided into tabs labeled "Internet", "Work", "Learn", "Play", "Settings", and "Favorites."

Looks: (10/10)

It. Is. Small.

It looks stylish in my opinion. Compact. USB ports are nicely arranged. Everything is where it should be.

Overall: (9.6)

If you are looking for an ultra-portable laptop computer, the Asus Eee PC is for you.

-KMR

Luke122
01-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Yup... I got the same one, but went for 2gb ram for $45.99

I've just ordered a 16gb usb drive and a touchscreen kit to add to it, and will be installing XP as soon as they arrive. :)

progbuddy
01-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Yup... I got the same one, but went for 2gb ram for $45.99

I've just ordered a 16gb usb drive and a touchscreen kit to add to it, and will be installing XP as soon as they arrive. :)

Noooooo. :P

Get one of the 16 GB SDHC cardssss...

</too late XD>

Raz1r
01-07-2008, 08:32 PM
I heard that XP Pro was kind of sluggish on it. And how would one install XP without a disk drive?

progbuddy
01-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I heard that XP Pro was kind of sluggish on it. And how would one install XP without a disk drive?

External CD drive.

Or compile it on a flash drive like I did and install it from a flash drive using BartPE.

And actually, from a Class VI SDHC card or the existing SSD, it boots in about 30 seconds, from the push of the button, to the POST, to the desktop screen.

xRyokenx
01-08-2008, 12:04 AM
OMFG you're back! :gasp:

You'll have to show me that thing when I go over to your house one day soon. Nice review by the way.

Raz1r
01-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Cool. I'm going to college in two years, do you guys think this would be a good option for a notebook?

I don't know linux too well though.

Xpirate
01-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Cool. I'm going to college in two years, do you guys think this would be a good option for a notebook?

I don't know linux too well though.

You should wait two years and see what notebook options you have then. PC technology will improve dramatically in a couple of years.

Lairy Fiquid
01-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Absolutely great review, treated myself to the exact same at christmas and everything you've put is spot on.

Luke122
01-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm currently installing XP on mine, I'll post some details once the install is complete. :)

The boy 4rm oz
01-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Those laptops are really cheap, I was thinking of getting one for myself. I can get the exact same one you got in white for $488AUS, it's a steal. I would crack it open though and do a memory mod and put in more RAM. This little thing would be perfect for me going into my last year of high school and then onto university.
Memory Mod:
http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2007/12/27/add_more_storage_space_to_your_asus_eee_pc/1

progbuddy
01-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Those laptops are really cheap, I was thinking of getting one for myself. I can get the exact same one you got in white for $488AUS, it's a steal. I would crack it open though and do a memory mod and put in more RAM. This little thing would be perfect for me going into my last year of high school and then onto university.
Memory Mod:
http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2007/12/27/add_more_storage_space_to_your_asus_eee_pc/1

Yeah. I've found that I use this little thing for web surfing, chatting, and school work mostly. Now I'm so used to this little keyboard that I have to get used to a regular keyboard every once in a whiile ^^.

-KMR

Raz1r
01-13-2008, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I'm saving up for this thing now. You guys have me convinced. I've never owned a laptop before.

how hard is it to install extra RAM? As easy as a desktop?

The boy 4rm oz
01-13-2008, 09:05 AM
All you do is open a compartment on the bottom of the laptop and change it like a desktops RAM. I went and had a look at one today. I knew they were small but damn this thing is tiny. It's literally under 20cm wide and weights 0.93kg.

progbuddy
01-13-2008, 03:43 PM
I wasn't joking when I said small :). The box that it came in was smaller than my dad's Toshiba Satellite 17" laptop. The computer was about 1/3 the size of the box. lol

-KMR

The boy 4rm oz
01-13-2008, 07:52 PM
I love these little things, I want one sooooooo bad lol. It has to be black or nothing haha and I will upgrade them RAM.

Luke122
01-14-2008, 12:41 AM
I'm pleased to say that the EEE PC (with 2gb ram) runs XP like a pro! Boot up time is great, it's super responsive, and stable as can be.

I'm connecting it with a GPS unit tomorrow, and if all goes well, I'll have the USB EVDO card for it this week also. Hello high speed internet EVERYWHERE. :D

The boy 4rm oz
01-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Nicely done. Would there be any chance of getting some pics?

progbuddy
01-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Using the Eee PC on my external monitor at 1280x1024 with my Saitek Eclipse keyboard and wireless mouse. Love the external VGA for this thing. It doesn't even have to be a laptop. It could even be an ultra-slim and portable desktop :P.

-Kev.