PDA

View Full Version : Review: Thermaltake Lanbox lite

Raz1r
01-07-2008, 09:47 PM
I recently upgraded my case from an emachines desktop to this. I'll try to cover any issues I had with it as well as the positive aspects. I'll be covering the windowed version in this review. Sorry if I screw something up, this is my first real review.

http://geizhals.at/img/pix/239376.jpg

This is pretty much an update to the first Lanbox, with a cleaner look and a great modular design. It accepts MicroATX motherboards along with Mini-ITX.

Features
- Two 5.25" drive bays. The case comes with two covers that allow you to preserve the look of the case while using any optical drive. A lot of thought -was put into this, as there are tabs on the inside of the buttons that slide over so that the button makes firm contact with the one on the drive.

- One vertical 3.5" drive bay. You can put any standard 3.5" HDD in without problems along with any other component.

- Front panel. It has 1394, two USB ports and Mic in, Headphones. The plug for the audio has an AZALIA cable for HD audio straight from the motherboard. The Power and Reset buttons are full metal and have a nice "pop" to them.

- Fully modular design.

- Included fans. One 90mm Blue LED fan in the front and two 60mm fans in the back. They are really quiet and move a good amount of air.

PACKAGING - 10/10

The box is slick as hell and even has a handle. The case itself is packed between two halves of styrofoam, after it was wrapped in a non-abrasive cloth. Manual is short, but covers anything you would need to know about the case. They give you plenty of extra screws as well, along with a cool anti-static cloth to wipe off the fingerprints.

FUNCTIONALITY - 9/10

Putting together the case is actually pretty effortless. But only if you're using rounded cables and a modular power supply. I had trouble with the old-school flat IDE cables, but then again, this is my first real build. Or in my case, "transplant". The front panel does the job for everyday stuff, and the 1394 has actually come in handy. Haven't had any snags with the DVD-drive bezel nor the buttons.

I'd just like to throw in here that the case itself is pretty solid, and a little heavier than I thought it would be. Also, you can use a full-length video card such as an 8800GTX without a problem, but you are limited to using the 3.5" drive bay or converting a 5.25" bay to a HDD holder. Also, it fits a normal ATX power supply.

AIRFLOW - 10/10

Airflow tends to be a quite subjective topic but my CPU temp went down from (65-68C) all the way to (50-51C). And that's just with the stock fans. Keep in mind I'm running an old Socket 478 though. Note that there is a tab that can be taken off the back for water-cooling tubes. The side vents help a lot, and for a small form factor case, the heat dissipation is excellent.

PRICE - 9/10
($80-90 w/o windows)
($90-100 w/ windows)

I've never spent over $35 on a case, but you definitely get what you pay for with this one. The paintjob is great, a nice solid piano-black. The only problem with it is that it leaves fingerprints. The ability to use an ATX-compatible power supply is a godsend, as it lets you power your components with enough juice on the cheap. I can't really think of anything that they cheaped-out on.

OVERALL - 9/10
If you're looking for a great small-form-factor case for gaming, HTPC or even desktop, this case should do you well.

Other thoughts/Recommendations:
-Save yourself the hassle and use a modular power supply.
-Also use rounded cables if you aren't already.
-Most 12" cathodes will fit, but make sure you have a spot for the inverter.
-If you've got a tall CPU cooler than it may be too tall, depending on the location of your CPU. As I said earlier, I have a 478, so I don't know about any of the new motherboard slots.