PDA

View Full Version : computer not booting

Nick_Black
01-08-2008, 04:03 PM
hey, I'm having a problem with 2 of my friends computers. aperently the problem occured with the swiching of RAM. the computer turns on (fans/lights) but there is no display. I've taken out all the ram and replaced it with one ram stick that I know works, and still no-go. (I've tried it in diffrent slots) it's not the graphix card. or the monitor..

any sugestions?

Thxs Nick_Black

Mitternacht
01-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Did you have to do any changes in the BIOS because of the added RAM?

Nick_Black
01-08-2008, 04:14 PM
no. plus I can't acess the Bios anyway's.

(oh and there's no startup error beeps either)

Cannibal23
01-08-2008, 04:23 PM
any beeps? i would try resetting the cmos. there should be instructions on the manufactures web site. you may also want to re seat the ram. had a pc here the other day that did the same thing when the ram wasnt totaly seated

Spawn-Inc
01-08-2008, 04:57 PM
pull the battery out for 5-10 minutes to reset the cmos and put the ram that was working in it. then find out how to get into the bios and make sure the clocks are set to the new ram specs and it should boot up with the new ram.

i oced my dads old computer to see what would happen if i set it to like 5ghz and it wouldn't post or anything. i was told to take out the battery and it worked after np.

Greco101
01-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Same thing happened to me a while back. I turned off the PSU for a few minutes and it worked after that. o.O

Luke122
01-08-2008, 07:14 PM
any beeps? i would try resetting the cmos. there should be instructions on the manufactures web site. you may also want to re seat the ram. had a pc here the other day that did the same thing when the ram wasnt totaly seated

I agree.. the ram may not be seated correctly. Another possibility (though less likely) is non-supported ram. Some boards REQUIRE ECC ram, and wont work with anything else.

Nick_Black
01-08-2008, 08:47 PM
thanks for all your help :) I've tried all those things cept pulling the battery. but my friend decided to bring it to a shop they said it's posible that it's the mobo, but thell have a look at it tonight to make shure.

Fuganater
01-15-2008, 10:32 AM
BAHHH!! Don't take it to the shop. Its all about learning and trying things out for yourself.

TheGreatSatan
01-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Cheaters!

organicpuzzle
04-11-2008, 01:14 PM
IT job security in action.