PDA

View Full Version : rivets

ack ack
09-10-2005, 10:10 AM
what is the standard size rivet for an atx case?

oh um . . .

and any input on how to properly drill an existing rivet would be helpful?

Crimson Sky
09-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Hmm...not sure about the first question, but a 5/16 drill bit (or any bit slightly larger than the rivet core)bored right down the center of a case rivet and it will fall out. If the rivet is hard to reach with a drill, you can buy a right-angle adaptor (http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82977) for it and get into tight spaces.

ack ack
09-11-2005, 09:29 AM
ah interesting. is rivet size determined by the width of the head?

basically i was thinking of drilling and disassembling a case, modifying the layout, then reassemble it proper by re-riveting. ideally i could just measure the rivets on the case and then hit up a local hardware store for replacements.

Guttenaffe
09-13-2005, 09:46 PM
There are three specs for a pop-rivet.

Length of body
Diameter of body
Diameter of mandrel

There are two others but it's not really spec.

The type of head
-There are many different heads "Button," "dome," "large flange," and "counter sunk" are the most popular. The large flange can be replicated with a longer body length and a washer if there is room.

The type of metal it is made out of.
-The two common are "steel" and "aluminum" most PC cases will have Al pop-rivets in them. Yes even steel cases, they type of metal only determines it’s pull strength.

Note there are many different body styles out there as well, some will mushroom out, some are completely sealed ever after settings, and there are ribbed body rivets for soft materials such as plastic.

The only rivets I can find around here are button head. They are the ones that are
/|_|\ Shaped. I have some cases that require dome (space issues) which stay mostly flat after setting.

ack ack
09-14-2005, 09:28 AM
excellent! thank you both for your replies. I think they will help me get on my way.