PDA

View Full Version : lagging in game with good ping/fps

Greco101
01-11-2008, 06:14 AM
My buddy has a pretty nice laptop... 1.8GHzx2 with a hd 2600 gpu. (vista)

In counterstrike, he will be running fine, then end up 30 feet away. Thought it may be ping, but his ping was fine. Thought his brother bay be on 360, but nope.

Now in COD4 (just got it and oooomg.....<3) he has a constant...I dunno how to put it... "eh-eh-eh-eh-eh" as if it's a stop-motion animation. Ping is also fine.

I have a feeling it has something to do with vista...

Any ideas? Fixes? thanks guys.

Computer-Geek
01-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Did you lower the graphics settings for COD4 ? How about trying that and also make sure his vid card driver is up to date.

Greco101
01-11-2008, 06:23 AM
I mean on the other end, not his end. Sorry.

Spawn-Inc
01-11-2008, 06:34 AM
dunno man, i think i get that too sometimes (xp 32bit)are the local(north America) servers or world wide?

crenn
01-11-2008, 10:41 AM
I've had it happen with people with pings under 100ms.... I can't explain it. btw, this is with XP, so it's not an XP problem. If someone is in the same room using a LAN.... then I'd be questioning.

cjtaylor0103
01-11-2008, 01:34 PM
The COD problem sounds like inadequate graphics power with that laptop. Turn down ALL of the graphics settings and enable the FPS graph to see what’s going on. I would say he’s probably getting 4-5 FPS. If you type FPS in the console, it will give you all console commands that contain FPS…just hit the down arrow to get to the one for the graph.

The CS:S source problem sounds like Latency in your connection. Does he hear a distinct water splash sound after his model makes that 30 ft leap with no frames between the starting and ending point? I would think even though the ping appears playable, you might have some intermittent packet loss. Do a TraceRT in dos to the server IP and see what kind of loss you get.

Report back when you try the options for both games and let me know what you find.

Scotty
01-11-2008, 09:30 PM
I reckon its packet loss, ive had things like it with great ping (12ms :P) and 60FPS minimum, all because of some packet loss somewhere.

Greco101
01-12-2008, 01:45 AM
Any idea what would be causing this packet loss?

The router is the obvious culprit here (at least that's what I'm assuming..)but what about the router? Certain settings? ****ty router? Is there a fix?

Thanks guys... I would have never thought about that... I'll tell him to ping himself while in game and see if it shows up.

Scotty
01-12-2008, 07:14 PM
It could be a router, ISP or the server.

If he's on wireless try connection through a network cable instead and game see if that makes it better if it does, its the wireless.

cjtaylor0103
01-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Also, if possible, have him hardwire into the modem rather than behind the router. Usually Wall->Modem->PC will draw a different IP that Wall->Modem->Router->PC. If you can substantiate a difference, I would make a bet that your config on the ISP's side is messed up for the router IP. I've seen it happen many times...and to me personally. When the company comes and makes sure the internet is working, they will phone in the MAC of the modem and make sure a config file is placed on any IP it generates. Since the Router MAC is never phoned in and can play a part in what IP is generated, it sometimes obtains a jumbled config.

What was the outcome of the COD tests?