PDA

View Full Version : no picture after boot

Spawn-Inc
01-13-2008, 03:57 PM
last night as i was going to bed i remembered my computer was on so i went and chatted here for a bit and then shut the computer down like i always do. today i got up and turned my computer on and it booted up insanely fast (5 seconds on the first part then another 5 seconds for the windows splash screen. then my monitor shuts off and i don't get any signal. i reboot several times and it still doesn't work and as i'm sure you can imagen it's very annoying.

Any thoughts? (specs in sig) (xp home 32bit)

EDIT: i am going to scan the computer with adaware and see if that does anything.

killergamer
01-13-2008, 04:05 PM
If you are using a video card switch it to the on board if possible and see if that works.

mtekk
01-13-2008, 04:13 PM
When you do a reboot again, do you still get the bios and other screens, or does it seem completely dead? If you have your video card overclocked I suggest regressing to default clocks until the problem is sorted out. If the you are no longer getting any output make sure the card is fully seated, and that the monitor still works. Another thing to try if you are getting video and then it cuts out is to boot Windows in the "most recent good configuration" (need to press F8 a couple of times before the windows logo comes up). See if that works, if not you can try safemode and if that works do a system rollback to some time last week or so.

Spawn-Inc
01-13-2008, 04:27 PM
If you are using a video card switch it to the on board if possible and see if that works.

don't have on board graphics.

When you do a reboot again, do you still get the bios and other screens, or does it seem completely dead? If you have your video card overclocked I suggest regressing to default clocks until the problem is sorted out. If the you are no longer getting any output make sure the card is fully seated, and that the monitor still works. Another thing to try if you are getting video and then it cuts out is to boot Windows in the "most recent good configuration" (need to press F8 a couple of times before the windows logo comes up). See if that works, if not you can try safemode and if that works do a system rollback to some time last week or so.

i only oc the card with ati tool so shouldn't be that. but doing what you said about the last working settings thing worked! i always thought that didn't do anything, hence why i never tried it.

+reps.

mtekk
01-13-2008, 05:45 PM
don't have on board graphics.

i only oc the card with ati tool so shouldn't be that. but doing what you said about the last working settings thing worked! i always thought that didn't do anything, hence why i never tried it.

+reps.

Usually if I get a driver caused BSOD when booting that will do the trick. Good to hear it worked.

TheGreatSatan
01-15-2008, 11:22 AM
The system restore just changes settings. It doesn't create or uncreate any files.