PDA

View Full Version : XP vs Vista SP1 comparrisons.

Scotty
01-17-2008, 01:13 PM
So i found these whilst browsing. This shows performance difference between them.

LINK (http://futuremark.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72298)

So Vista is getting there, it's loading applications faster then XP, although its 1 whole second in Photoshop performance and still 500 points behind XP in 3DMark, but 3DMark, was originally released on XP, so chances are the next 3DMark could maybe run better on Vista who knows.

Gaming on XP is still faster, but by a few FPS, it's not life or death difference. Unless your playing Crysis that is xD

At the bottom of his post he also compares SuperFetch on and off, the program that is hogging all your RAM to boost program start-up. It's definatley not useless! Remember though that system does have 8GB of DDR2 which would perform better than 2 or 4GB.

So SP1 is definatley bringing Vista forward. Shame we have no Vista vs. Vista SP1 on there though to se how much better SP1 is.

Quakken
01-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah. This almost makes me want to get vista when I make my supersystem, but by then there will be SP2 and it WILL be worth it by then. Looking forward to it.

J-Roc
01-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Ok, this service pack has me wondering. I'm going to install vista in dual boot and see how it stacks up against xp.

J-Roc
01-21-2008, 02:28 AM
Stupid upgrade box... It wouldnt let me boot off the disk because its an upgrade version, the installation has to be initiated from windows xp. Now im trying to think of the best way to accomplish this. As i see it i have 2 options. I can install xp on to my partition, then upgrade that. Or i could install vista beta and try to upgrade. I think for $200 i should be able to install from the disk...

Crazy Buddhist
01-21-2008, 07:36 AM
As i see it i have 2 options. I can install xp on to my partition, then upgrade that. Or i could install vista beta and try to upgrade. I think for $200 i should be able to install from the disk...

Point is in buying an upgrade disk ..... they are to upgrade which is why they won't let you install unless there is something to upgrade ... in this case XP.

I don't suspect that installing Vista Beta will help you out much as it will almost certainly refuse it as an "upgrade" (unless microsoft got dumber than they used to be which I think would be hard).

Matthew

J-Roc
01-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Do you think that would infringe on any laws? I mean i could install xp and wouldnt even have to actvate it to start the upgrade to vista. I'd have my licenced xp and licenced vista...

The more i think about it, the more i care less for vista.. If it infringes on the "rules" i wont even bother. I'll let it collect dust untill sp2 then make up my mind.

crenn
01-23-2008, 02:55 AM
I have an upgrade copy of vista, it asks you what drive you want to install Vista to.

Crazy Buddhist
01-23-2008, 03:20 AM
Do you think that would infringe on any laws? I mean i could install xp and wouldnt even have to actvate it to start the upgrade to vista. I'd have my licenced xp and licenced vista...

Legally yes, you have one license, you have upgraded once you install Vista, under the law that copy of XP should be binned. Won't stop it working.