PDA

View Full Version : WiFi Signal & Lead Paint?

Zephik
01-19-2008, 06:44 AM
So I've been getting some really cruddy Wireless signal from my DSL Router by Westel. Which is pretty weird, because I don't recall ever having a problem before. Anyways, I've moved it so now its only about ten feet away. The only thing that is in its way is a Wall. Its not even a thick wall or anything. But I'm getting 36Mbps with Low Signal Strength whereas before I was getting anywhere from 1Mbps to 18Mbps. I _just_ now moved it, but I've been getting those previous speeds and signal for about two weeks now.

I've moved it closer, so its only ten feet away with a wall in between my computer and the router.

I've disconnected everything and reconnected it all back up.

I've opened up my computer to see if anything was ajar or whatnot. Nothing. Everything was fine.

I've moved my computer around the room to see if anything changes. Notta.

I've used the program that came with my adapter and I've used Windows Wireless. No difference at all.

So I'm not really sure what the heck is going on here. Its not making a whole lot of sense really. If I move it any closer, I could connect directly to it! Which would be nice, but I can't find a line in this room to connect to. So the only thing that I can think of, is maybe this house is painted with lead paint? It is pretty old. At least 20 years.

Also, when I disconnect and search for somewhere to connect, the signal strength is 4/5 bars. Then when I connect, it drops to 1/5 or 2/5 bars. ??

Greco101
01-19-2008, 09:03 AM
I'd start by looking up some reviews. Maybe it's a crummy model? How much did you pay for it?

Computer-Geek
01-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Its free from verizon & its the router I have been having tons of problems with. Try updating the firmware. I need to find a better router that isn't too expensive.

chaksq
01-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Do you use Vista? Because I do and I have major trouble connecting to wireless. It worked fine for a while but then it refuses to connect to wireless or only connects localy but not to the internet. My XP laptop has no issues connecting and works even with the worst signal, obviously the speed drops but still works.

Crazy Buddhist
01-21-2008, 04:09 AM
Do you use Vista? Because I do and I have major trouble connecting to wireless. It worked fine for a while but then it refuses to connect to wireless or only connects localy but not to the internet. My XP laptop has no issues connecting and works even with the worst signal, obviously the speed drops but still works.

I've had this. Reboot sorts it but yeah ... hell it's annoying. Try updating the drivers for the wifi. It's probably a broadcom 43XX and windows update will offer you updated drivers if there are any available.

Matthew

Crazy Buddhist
01-21-2008, 08:46 AM
From TBCS Wireless Networking Wiki (under construction) (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/modwiki/index.php/Wireless_Networking)

6. Signal Problems

Depending on the technology you are using your wireless network will have a certain range in which the signal is strong enough to be used. If you try and use a computer at or towards the end of this range you will experience problems such as a slow connection, intermittent failures and random disconnections.

The effectiveness of your equipment can be improved by following a few simple steps to maximise signal strength where you want it.

- Try to locate the wireless router or access point somewhere in the middle of the physical space you want it to serve.

- Try not to locate receiving devices near other electrical equipment that makes a lot of background noise/electromagnetic radiation, such as CRT monitors, Televisions and computers (yes this one is tricky).

- If you have a PCI wireless card installed in the computer and are getting weak signal problems you can buy an antennae on an extension cable that will screw into the back of the card but allow you to move the antennae away from the computer and screen where it will suffer less interference.

- Wireless network equipment will operate on ten or more frequencies within the 2.4Ghz range. there are several other types of consumer device that share this frequency including microwave ovens and cordless telephones. If you are having weak signal problems try switching through all the available frequencies (set in the router or access point web interface) to see if any offer better reception than the others - they usually do.

- Try turning off your cordless phone and see if that is causing the problem. If it is an old one it may need replacing.

- You may be on a conflicting bandwidth with your neighbours wireless router, cordless phone or even badly maintained microwave oven - again switching frequencies will often resolve this.

~o~

Maybe you have new neighbours? Or they have a new router sharing your frequency. Try manually stepping through all the frequency bands your router can be set to. Very often you will find local conditions mean one or more will perform significantly better than the rest.

Matthew

xmastree
01-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Maybe you have new neighbours? Or they have a new router sharing your frequency.
That's what I was going to suggest. Grab yourself a wifi sniffer program, turn off your router and look around to see if there's another strong signal nearby.

Cannibal23
01-21-2008, 05:46 PM
here is a freebie tool that will detect wireless networks and tell you their channel as well as signal noise ratio and some other info. hope you can use it to help solve your issue

http://www.netstumbler.com/

crenn
01-21-2008, 07:26 PM
I've had this. Reboot sorts it but yeah ... hell it's annoying. Try updating the drivers for the wifi. It's probably a broadcom 43XX and windows update will offer you updated drivers if there are any available.

Matthew

Something else to try is disable Vista trying to get IPv6.

J-Roc
01-22-2008, 08:28 PM
I cant comment on what the others are saying here about singals. I can however, fill you up on the leaded perspective since i regularly do abatement in my job. Lead paint was gradualy faded out up untill its ban about 30 years ago. Its very dilute in a single coating about 2-3mg per square inch. The problem people were seeing with it was when sevral coats were applied, obviously the amount increses in relation. So i can absolutely %100 guarantee your 20yr old house doesnt contain lead paint. If it was 40 years or older, it might contain a few coats of lead.