PDA

View Full Version : Server 03/Vista

gntlkilr
01-21-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm just curious as to see if anyone's found a fix for the Vista Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) in Server 03?

I've look across the google board and beyond to find something, even on MSDN and I can't find anything.

I know you can get to the shares using the backdoor method (\\server name\share), but I'm sick of doing that. Hell the only reason I switched to Vista was to use DirectX 10. if I can't fix this, I'm heading back to XP. DirectX 10 isn't worth the hassle.

Let me know if ya'll found something?

Luke122
01-21-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure I follow your issue..

I have a vista client machine (I'm on it right now), connecting to a 2000 domain, with network shares on a 2003 box. All is well, and yes, I can even manually access the shares as you mentioned.

Are you saying that you are unable to map drives?

gntlkilr
01-21-2008, 04:03 PM
In Vista, You have your network Map, I can't see any Server 03 machine in my network Map. i can still use the backdoor (manually enter server name\share), but I would like to see it in my network map. I can see the XP machines that I put the LLTD patch onto, but there isn't one for Server 03. Any ideas?

XcOM
01-21-2008, 04:19 PM
you could always create a shortcut for the server, then all you need do is double click it

Luke122
01-21-2008, 06:15 PM
You could try this:

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/97122/Windows_97122.html

gntlkilr
01-23-2008, 04:59 PM
ooooh......MS backdoor. That didn't come up with my google searches, at least I dun think it did. Thanks Luke!

EDIT: Sweet Jeebus, it worked!!

I was reading around that forum as well about GPT volumes...ugh...don't format a drive as a Primary partition w/ Server 03. Use XP or Vista instead. If you've got the latest and greatest patches on a Server 03 machine, and format a drive, it formats it with a GUID Partition Table, unrecognizable under XP or Vista unless they are the 64 bit flavors. *shudder* ugliness, I tell ya.

Wiki
"In computer hardware, GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a standard for the layout of the partition table on a physical hard disk. It is a part of the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) standard proposed by Intel as a replacement for the obsolescent PC BIOS, one of the few remaining relics of the original IBM PC. EFI uses GPT where BIOS uses a Master Boot Record (MBR)."