PDA

View Full Version : computer spazz attack

Greco101
01-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Well, it started out while gaming... the sound would lock up and make that *gaaaaaaaaaaa* sound... you know... that sound you get typically before w/e your doing crashes?

It did it twice for about a second or 2 each... then it froze up and I had to restart.

at restart, it prompted me to boot from cd...wtf?

Restarted again... tried changing boot sequence and it froze in bios

restarted again and it froze in bios again

restarted again and booted from harddisk...froze at windows login screen

restarted again and it finally gave me the choice to restart with last know good config. it booted. I backed up everything because who knows what's next.

I restarted because it seemed to be acting nice again and thought maybe it overheated or something (un likely...)

gave me the same ol' ****... finally got back on and it was now only detecting one cd drive......

Restarted again with no problems this time, and it auto detected my cd drive but listed it as something funky, in a separate section in my computer.

I'm now running kaspersky to make sure I didn't catch anything, but I have a feeling it may be hardware. Perhaps it's the motherboard? :(

crenn
01-23-2008, 01:41 AM
It sounds like something has gone wrong in your mother, it may not help much, but try clearing the CMOS.

Luke122
01-23-2008, 03:58 AM
Could be power supply.. try disconnecting the optical drive(s) and see if it stabilizes. Power supply running hot?

Greco101
01-23-2008, 04:48 AM
Could be power supply.. try disconnecting the optical drive(s) and see if it stabilizes. Power supply running hot?

I rolled back a couple days and it stopped randomly freezing. Before, I restored, I tried opening My Computer and it sat there searching! Then when it finally decided to close (about 2 minutes after I pressed the x) I pressed start and it froze again.

rolled back and everything was going smooth... checked my computer and still only one drive. Restarted AGAIN and now everything seems normal.

Funny you said that because earlier, when I turned it completely off, as I reached back to flip the switch on the psu, I was surprised on how hot the air was. Checked just now and you can barely tell the difference between the air in the room. (whats the word for that by the way??) (about 70*)

Greco101
01-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Something is definitely still wrong. Plays COD4 fine but freezes ever time I try to watch a movie......

J-Roc
01-23-2008, 08:59 PM
It could be that one of your cd drives is dead. I tested 3 dead drives yesterday (didnt know they were dead at the time) and when i restarted with them as secondary IDE, the computer locked up at post and sevral times throughout the boot process. I was able to boot fine with the dead drive as primary with no other drive. When i opened My Computer, It was slow as hell and "searched" for a min or two before the drive icon showed up.

Sounds like what happened to you.

Greco101
01-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Came back from picking up a new laptop and desktop was frozen. PSU running hot, restarted and it froze at the windows screen. restarted again... "start with last known working blah blah blah"

My cd drives are both working properly now so I still have a feeling it's either the mobo or the psu.

Ap1thy
01-25-2008, 01:11 AM
maybe instead of a broken drive, its a broken cable? just thinking from j-roc's post about the broken drives, maybe a wire is loose or broken and it will short occasionally. or maybe its just the psu who knows

slytherock
01-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Any OC on that rig? Look more like a Mobo problem from the description, one of the chipset could have unfortunatly fried. Sound bad.... :(

Greco101
01-25-2008, 11:27 AM
It's doing it again....
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/BlackS3ven/gfhdfv.jpg so maybe it is that cd drive going south. I'm gunna swap it for the other 1 and run single and see if it keeps acting up.

I've OC'd before but very lightly. E6600 to 2.66GHz for a day, and I've used ntune to autoclock my gpu but only 2 or 3 times when I first got COD4.

Annnnd after a restart......

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/BlackS3ven/2fdes.jpg

Greco101
01-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Alright, I swapped the sata cables in hopes that the cd drive with cod4 in it will spaz again. If so, it's the cd drive and if the other, then it's the mobo. correct?

Greco101
01-26-2008, 06:40 PM
lol... and so far, 0 problems whatsoever.

Ap1thy
01-27-2008, 07:50 PM
could be a damaged sata cable too

Greco101
01-27-2008, 10:35 PM
only thing I did was switch them lol. Unless by damages you mean it wasn't locking in properly?

Eclecticos
01-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Hmmn. . So it works alright unless you restart it repeatedly, or Leave it on for long periods of time.

Sounds like a fan to me. .
Might want to make sure there all clean including the one on the video card if you have one.
One thing is for sure somethings overheating.

Drew
02-07-2008, 01:53 PM
the air in the room. (whats the word for that by the way??) (about 70*)

Ambient?