PDA

View Full Version : Dell Crystal

Durrthock
01-24-2008, 12:25 AM
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=223-5647
Woah thats basically all I can say. I love the look of this thing and it sounds pretty good. Of course for the same price you could buy a 3g ram quad core 8800gt desktop from them. But It looks awesome. Just thought Id show you guys

OvRiDe
01-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Very Sharp, unfortunately very expensive. Thats usually the way it goes. :(

Call it a hunch, but they will still probably sell a bunch even at that price..

Fuganater
01-24-2008, 01:47 AM
They new Dell Crystal will CRUSH any competition from Apple. They have no screen to even match it that I'm aware of. With all the cables in one (DVI/HDMI with HDCP, Subwoofer out, USB, Power Cable) it will be the ultimate monitor because you don't need to worry about all of the cable management. Touch controls are so sick too :D.

The 4.0 speakers are supposed to be quite clear. And from what i hear, in the cable there is a cable to hook up to a sub which you have to order separate. I'll deff have to ask our Tech's about it.

So pretty much with that resolution, response time, contrast ratio, and having the HDMI... you have your TV/Monitor with everything you need in it.

I'll try to post more as soon as I find out. (FYI - I work for Dell :D)

-Fuga

Greco101
01-24-2008, 08:40 AM
ridiculously overpriced. Who cares if it has speakers? Who uses lcd speakers? Wow. I'm sure it's nice looking but still...............

1200 dollars. **** THAT!!

z5500's
8800GT
Q6600
22" samsung etc etc etc etc.....

Crimson Sky
01-24-2008, 10:03 AM
It is NOT overpriced. If you've ever seen a high End Dell monitor LIVE, you'll think anything else on the market is a green 10" CRT compared to it. Its the best image, period. It's a bargain at $1200.

Fuganater
01-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Come out to a Dell store and see a Ultra Sharp. You'll see the differance in them compared to the normal Analog/Digital Monitors. The Crystal is evan more clear than some of the top end LCD TV's out there.

Zephik
01-24-2008, 11:26 AM
It's pricey, but not without reason. I guess its a lot like the difference between a plasma screen and a lcd screen. But then again, you can get lcd screens that are just as good as plasma screens. I would have to guess that this is one of those lcd's that are just as good? My 42" plasma screen was only 2grand, but even I say from time to time that the picture isn't that good, which is why it was only 2grand for 42". So this is almost half the price for half the size but with true HD resolution. Plus all of its advantages/features over an lcd AND it looks amazing. Its definitely a good deal, if you have that kind of money to spend.

Dell might have pricey items from time to time, but they are almost always a good deal when you think about it. *cough* unlike most apple products *cough*

I bet if it was apple selling these, they would be at least twice the price. I only mention apple because where else are you going to get something like this? Apple is really the only other company that is this design conscious. So a big thank you to Dell! Now if only you could be like this with ALL your products. ...and still be a company of good deals. :p

btw, I typed a lot of that with my mouse since my keyboard is partially broken. It took me half an hour! lol ><

Fuganater
01-24-2008, 11:32 AM
LCD's are way better than Plasma's.... A Plasma will lose 30% of its brillance (Brightness) within the first year. LCD's lose 0%. Contrast ratios are higher in LCD's and they last longer.

52" Plasma is now around $1099 and a 52" LCD goes for (on sale) $2599.

Zephik
01-24-2008, 11:55 AM
LCD's are way better than Plasma's.... A Plasma will lose 30% of its brilliance (Brightness) within the first year. LCD's lose 0%. Contrast ratios are higher in LCD's and they last longer.

Thanks for the clarification, people have always told me that plasmas are better than anything else. I don't know what hole I've been living in! lol

ah man, that means my plasma is probably just about dead. I've had it for a little over three years. ><

Fuganater
01-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Well thats fine. I thought you bought it recently and was gonna say you got ripped off. But Dell dosen't even sell Plasma's any more. Only LCD's. Its just so you know and you buy your next one.. get an LCD.

NightrainSrt4
01-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Looks very nice. But for the price I would have liked to see a full 1080. They can pack it into their little 17" laptops, why not into the 22". Other than that, it looks pretty sick.

Spawn-Inc
01-24-2008, 12:41 PM
thats a nice sexy monitor but who the hell wants to own anything dell... i would buy it and remove all dell logo's.

LCD's are way better than Plasma's.... A Plasma will lose 30% of its brillance (Brightness) within the first year. LCD's lose 0%. Contrast ratios are higher in LCD's and they last longer.

plasma's can display true black, lcds can't so if you play alot of dark movies, games tv you will enjoy it much more.

Fuganater
01-24-2008, 01:29 PM
thats a nice sexy monitor but who the hell wants to own anything dell... i would buy it and remove all dell logo's.

BLASPHEMY!!!!

Spawn-Inc
01-24-2008, 01:35 PM
BLASPHEMY!!!!

correct, dell is blasphemy!

only thing i would get of dell's is alienware stuff, only if i was super rich. even then i might not when i now know how to build pc's.

Fuganater
01-24-2008, 02:04 PM
correct, dell is blasphemy!

only thing i would get of dell's is alienware stuff, only if i was super rich. even then i might not when i now know how to build pc's.

Ok well I can understand that. But think of what Dell sells. We sell TV's up to $500 cheaper than Best Buy. Computers start at $299 (ya its basic) but that is what most people need. A basic, affordable computer. If you compare a Quad core system from Dell to say... HP or Gateway. Dell will win in pricing.

Spawn-Inc
01-24-2008, 03:29 PM
i suppose, i wouldn't know as i'm not in the market for a new pc, only parts for one. i don't ever plan on buying prebuilt.

Quakken
01-24-2008, 04:10 PM
My current pc is a prebuilt (with a vid card and gig of ram... this is from 2005 though).

And it's an HP.

BAM!

Durrthock
01-24-2008, 05:42 PM

Alienware is crap you buy a computer for 3k and it will have all sorts of problems. Dell is better because at least they don't put in crap power supplies to cut prices. And don't say they do the same thing because dell owns them because when one company buys another there usually isn't a change.

chaksq
01-25-2008, 05:09 PM
I must say this is amazing. Very nice design. The speakers built in it look to be actual quality speakers not the average built-in crap. I've heard real good things on the ultrasharps, and when I go to buy some new LCDs I might look into ultrasharps. At this point in my life I can't justify buying a monitor that costs as much as my car did, so no crystal for me.

Omega
01-25-2008, 05:48 PM
I can't help but look at that and think of SpaceHonkey's monitor mod. What with the plexi, speakers and all.

Greco101
01-25-2008, 09:07 PM
I can't stand the speakers lol