PDA

View Full Version : TBCS Art Contest I

Scotty
01-24-2008, 11:46 PM
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/TBCS_Group/scotty/tbcsartcontest.png
Deadline updated.

TBCS Art Contest, it’s new, it’s modern, and it’s here.

The staff here at TBCS know we have a large community of talented modders, and we know many of you are into the traditional side as well, not just your beautiful case mods.
Therefore we here at TBCS are proud to bring you a art competition, now many of you I can here are shouting “Yay! What do I have to do?” Well, read on below and you can find out.

The first of many challenges to come, should hopefully be an easy one, it requires you to take those great skills many of you have and compile a wallpaper, easy so far? Well, now here’s what you have to do to make sure it’s an acceptable entry.

Any size or resolution is acceptable.

This is TBCS, so we expect it to have some beautiful TBCS stuff too. If you need the logo. Here (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162620&postcount=9) is one that's slightly higer Res, we don't have the original :(

The theme for this wallpaper is computers that means anything to do with computers, what part of a computer, or any add-ons is up to you. But we don’t want to just see pictures of a circuit board and TBCS logo, we want to see how you guys can edit and manipulate images, or create your own.

Prize:
1. Medal on the Award System
2. 2 Month Optional Period working as an 'Artist' for TBCS, This is NOT a permanent placement, its a 2 month period. Although if after 2 months Jon and the staff believe you are reliable and produce quality work you could be kept on as an Artist.
3. Rep from me, and possibly many other members.

The Rules:
1. Registered TBCS members only. Staff allowed to enter.
2. Entries to be submitted by 14th February 2008 at 23:59 GMT
3. Preferably uploaded in .PNG for minimal quality loss and reasonable file size.
4. Use any software you like, 2D/3D etc. You can edit your own pencil drawings if you wish.
5. Any resolution acceptable.
6. No limit to how much you edit or modify your images.
7. Judging will be done by you, the TBCS community!
8. You may submit 1 design only.

Scoring/Voting:
1. This will be done with a public poll for you, the community to vote on.

Send you entries to scotty@thebestcasescenario.com
before
Thursday 14th February 2008 at 23:59GMT

Well what are you waiting for guys, get going!

p0Pe
01-25-2008, 03:08 AM
yeah!... this sounds fun:)

.Maleficus.
01-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Yes! A challenge I can enter!

noopypoop
01-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Yes! A challenge I can enter!
Me too!

p0Pe
01-25-2008, 11:00 AM
lets have a blast of a fight! :D

FrooP
01-25-2008, 12:40 PM
:fight::twisted:

scar~face
01-25-2008, 01:49 PM
QUESTION!

is there any sort of offical slogan or catchphrase we can use?

P.S. Is there a high res. image of the TBCS logo we can have?, AND Can we use either the new blue logo or the red round one?

jdbnsn
01-25-2008, 03:26 PM
QUESTION!

is there any sort of offical slogan or catchphrase we can use?

P.S. Is there a high res. image of the TBCS logo we can have?, AND Can we use either the new blue logo or the red round one?

HERE (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162620&postcount=9) is a higher res version of the new logo and there is also one of the old version in the art gallery. You are free to use any logo's, slogans, or other content provided they do not violate the website's policies regarding material, advertising, linking, etc...

We actually do not have an official slogan, but we have lots of unofficial ones.

scar~face
01-25-2008, 03:43 PM
thank you

Scotty
01-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Good question, added link to the first post for others.

noopypoop
01-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Would an acceptable entry be a fake advertisement of a product AND does the logo have to be incorporated somehow or can you just put it off somewhere to the side?

jdbnsn
01-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Sure, a fake ad is fine. And you don't need to add the logo at all if you don't want, this is an open art competition.

noopypoop
01-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Oh and also, if I do make this ad, does it have to include a picture of the product?

EDIT: i sent in my entry

Scotty
01-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Two entries already, and still 2 weeks to go :D there could be a few of these in the end!

edit: I make that a 3rd now.

Elenril
01-29-2008, 12:43 AM
I'll be entering when I eventually get round to it :)

dfigravity
01-31-2008, 10:22 PM
alas, after looking at Elenril's dA page, I don't stand a snowballs chance in he11.
:)

jdbnsn
01-31-2008, 11:44 PM
alas, after looking at Elenril's dA page, I don't stand a snowballs chance in he11.
:)

Don't think that way, you never know. Plus this challenge will be a series so keep entering and you may win sometime. At the very least you will continue to improve your skills.

Greco101
02-01-2008, 01:00 AM
The hard part is figuring out wth to actually do haha.

dfigravity
02-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Don't think that way, you never know. Plus this challenge will be a series so keep entering and you may win sometime. At the very least you will continue to improve your skills.

I'm curious...where did most of you guys and girls learn Photoshop? Self taught? Books? classes? What worked best for you? I have a copy and I've really been trying to get in to it for a few years now...but I don't learn very well just out of a book.

Scotty
02-01-2008, 08:55 AM
I taught myself. I found messing around and practicing a great way. You learn the way YOU use the tools not how someone else does, or what someone else prefers, but i did read tutorials, and lots of them for effects/tools etc. Pixel2life.com is the place to go along with DeviantArt. We have a few tutorials on the site here in the forums.

noopypoop
02-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Can you post one of those mysterious little counters? I wanna see how much time is left:bunny:

Greco101
02-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Self taught. I also learned over the years of messing around. Soon, you'll find there are about 100 different ways to do the same thing. There's not a 100% chance one technique will work at all with another picture, let alone the same way so you work around it with other techniques you pick up.

tutorials are a good way to learn but more often than not, I'd rather do w/e they're doing a different way. They're good for ideas though or easy tricks.

EDIT: After staying up all night on photoshop... my entry is in. :)

Scotty
02-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Umm Greco, there is no image in that e-mail, unless you count the smiley....

Noopy, i don't do timers :D Its 1 week 1 day left.

p0Pe
02-01-2008, 12:11 PM
can we make WIP threads? :P

Greco101
02-01-2008, 08:06 PM
WIP threads?

I'm surprised more people didn't join in? Maybe we can up the prizes on the next contest to maybe get others more motivated? Personally, the 2 months thing is great for me because I could use it on a resume. The metal and reps are a bonus too :o)

Elenril
02-01-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm curious...where did most of you guys and girls learn Photoshop? Self taught? Books? classes? What worked best for you? I have a copy and I've really been trying to get in to it for a few years now...but I don't learn very well just out of a book.

Self taught. Just mucking around with it will probably help you learn faster and more than anything else. I was in some digital graphics classes at school but I'd already leant by then everything that they tried to teach me, so you're better off just experimenting yourself.

P.S. I don't think anyone here has a more or less likely chance of winning, because it's not just about skill, but ideas and everything else that makes it look good or funny or whatever. It's community-voted anyway, so whichever appeals most to the community, will win. (I'm not too fussed about winning anyway, I'm in it more for the fun and procrastination from homework.)

jdbnsn
02-01-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm in it more for the fun and procrastination from homework.)

That and crushing your enemies into a fine pink paste right?

Elenril
02-06-2008, 05:00 AM
So... any chance of a deadline extension so I can get something in?

.Maleficus.
02-06-2008, 07:17 AM
As far as learning Photoshop goes, I've taught myself up until now, and next year at school I'll be taking a class on it (Photoshop, Illustrator, Autodesk VIZ, Adobe Premier). Should be a hell of a class.

Scotty
02-06-2008, 02:23 PM
So... any chance of a deadline extension so I can get something in?

This may be annoying, but yes you can have an extension to

Im on holiday, for a while, so when i get back on Thursday the entries will be in and then the poll will go up on Friday. And run for 5-7 days not sure yet.

noopypoop
02-06-2008, 08:03 PM
This may be annoying, but yes you can have an extension to

Im on holiday, for a while, so when i get back on Thursday the entries will be in and then the poll will go up on Friday. And run for 5-7 days not sure yet.

NOOOO!!

WHAT KIND OF EVIL MIND ARE YOU!

chaksq
02-06-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm curious...where did most of you guys and girls learn Photoshop? Self taught? Books? classes? What worked best for you? I have a copy and I've really been trying to get in to it for a few years now...but I don't learn very well just out of a book.I took a class at my highschool called photoshop. Probably could have taught myself but hey class credits are a nice bonus for doing something I enjoy. The class was a bit basic and I usually play around with things to figure it out better. I do occasionally try tutorials and pick up ways of doing things from those.

silverdemon
02-07-2008, 06:16 AM
I sent mine in, but got a message that "the e-mail was delayed, you do not need to send it again..."
So Scotty, could you please confirm when my mail is in?
If it is not in by next week I'll send it again

thanks

Scotty
02-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Lol Noopy xD

Silver it doesn't appear to have come, i just double checked so i would send it again.

silverdemon
02-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Silver it doesn't appear to have come, i just double checked so i would send it again.

just sent it again, hope it works now...

noopypoop
02-07-2008, 06:07 PM
I shoulda worked harder on mine. I did my entry is ~5 minutes(i think scotty could verify by the quality:)

Scotty
02-08-2008, 06:21 AM
Heh, :P

Silver check your PM's mate :)

p0Pe
02-14-2008, 06:47 AM
well.. i dont think i am gonna complete mine:P.. maybe on a later time but cant right now:D gl to everybody else:)

Scotty
02-14-2008, 03:21 PM
4 hours 40 mins guys, get the last few in if you haven't!

noopypoop
02-14-2008, 06:11 PM
4 hours 40 mins guys, get the last few in if you haven't!

WOOOOO!!!

Im gunna lose any way, considering i spent five minutes while others spent hours.

Scotty
02-14-2008, 08:01 PM
CONTEST END

ENTRIES WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTED

Poll will be posted TOMORROW

noopypoop
02-14-2008, 09:32 PM
CONTEST END

ENTRIES WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTED

Poll will be posted TOMORROW

WOOOOOO!!

Again

J-Roc
02-14-2008, 10:18 PM
I was going to enter somthing but i though i'd let the rest of you have a go at it.

BTW, are there more contest coming up soon?

jdbnsn
02-14-2008, 10:35 PM
yes, this is going to be a continous contest so he will get another one going soon. You'll have your shot.

J-Roc
02-15-2008, 02:45 AM
I'll have to brush up on my technique then. Expect medium to big things in the neer future. :)

jdbnsn
02-15-2008, 02:58 AM
Good! To be honest I was a bit surprised when you asked for a header in your worklog, you've always been better at PS than I.

Scotty
02-15-2008, 08:48 AM
VOTING has begun! (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13413)

Voting will last for 7 days, please get over there and make your choice count.

I ask entrants to NOT vote for THEMSELVES, other entrants yes but not yourself.

Quakken
02-20-2008, 12:52 AM
I'll have to get photoshop and enter in try this out, this is crazy cool.

J-Roc
02-20-2008, 02:46 AM
The competition is going to be a tuff as i can possibly make it :)

Scotty
02-20-2008, 01:36 PM
I've gotta think of the next one before you can make it hard for anyone else :D

Scotty
02-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Congratulations Floriske.nl.

Was a lovely piece, and took my vote too. ill get Jon to award you with your prizes.

Congratulations again.

J-Roc
02-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Maybe you should post the wallpaper since you didnt tell us who made what.
Allthough anyone who looked at the polls knows which WP won.

jdbnsn
02-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Sorry about that, I had the stats and didn't think about posting them. Here is the rundown:

1: dfigravity
2: Floriske.nl
3: noopypoop
4: scar~face
5: Silverdemon

floriske.nl
02-25-2008, 06:57 AM
Congratulations Floriske.nl.

Was a lovely piece, and took my vote too. ill get Jon to award you with your prizes.

Congratulations again.
Thx Scotty! And all who voted for my design ofcourse!

Once again sorry for not posting more often, but as said we are well busy with our house!

Edit:

For your info, these are the images used (used versions are high res ofcourse!):

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/c/ch/chic-desig/658074_eye.jpg

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/t/to/tonyclough/735714_graph.jpg

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/c/cr/craigpj/897808_metal_honeycomb_texture.jpg

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/p/pi/pipp/604623_notebook.jpg