PDA

View Full Version : Review: Psychonauts

Ichbin
01-25-2008, 02:19 PM
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/TBCS_Group/Ichbin/psychonautsimage.png
Psychonauts
Single-Player PC

My friend wanted to write a review for a game and after telling him what I do, he wanted me to post his review and see how you guys like it. I've done some editing touches to it, however most of the meat is from my friend.

Feedback is appreciated :P

Psychonauts is a 3rd person adventure game made by Double Fine productions. Tim Schafer, who branched off Lucas Arts in 2000 to create Double fine designed this game. Psychonauts is one of the most unique games available. In it you play as a psychic Soldier trainee learning how to use psychic powers like Telekinesis, Pyrokinesis and invisibility. During your training you uncover an evil plot were someone is stealing student brains and making storage tanks of psychic power. 90% of the battling/combat gameplay is inside of people’s minds. Gameplay environments are absolutely unique. Some levels are cubes, some are roller discos, and one puts you in the shoes of Godzilla terrorizing a city of fish people in order to free them from a brainwashing radio broadcast. However, the gameplay is the biggest fault of this game. It can be very very aggravating. At times the camera will lock on to an enemy and since the controls are camera based, you may find yourself running into silly situations that you would have avoided likewise. Another negative is the mob fluctuations. You go from killing mundane Cannon fodder to Big bosses that take an hour to kill with no real training lead up to in-between. Graphics are not stellar, but they’re not crap as well. For the most part, if you can get past the awkward gameplay glitches and weirdness, you’ll find yourself having an amazing time playing a very well characterized game.
Overall:8

Lord Ned
01-25-2008, 02:27 PM
I've yet to beat this, Just got the little canoing merit badge or whatever, and I've yet to pick it back up, been to busy working on a case mod. ;)

jdbnsn
01-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Tell your friend thanks from us at the site, as well as to give me his namke if he would like to be personally credited for his work. Thanks dudes!

-Jon

Ichbin
01-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Oh! sorry! lol.

Name is "Greg Bastien"