PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte I-RAM Solidstate.

Eclecticos
01-27-2008, 09:10 AM
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3076/gigawd7.gif

Although performance has been greatly enhanced over the last few years through the use of faster spindle speeds, larger caches, and newer interfaces, hard drives still tend to be a bottleneck in a typical PC. Mechanical devices, by their very nature, require time to seek the data requested, read it, and then transfer that information back to system memory. Also, while SATA technology has increased transfer rates from the paltry 33MB/s of the original ATA spec to a healthy 300MB/s on the latest SATA-II controllers, there's still room for improvement, although the drives themselves will still struggle to saturate the bandwidth on this interface.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/8784/iramwithmemoryod5.jpg

One idea, although hardly new, is to create a solid-state drive with no moving parts whatsoever. Past attempts, such as Cenatek's RocketDrive, have been very costly and as a result have not found much acceptance in the retail market. The optimal result is to achieve the right price vs. capacity ratio; a drive large enough to install files or applications to that won't cost much more than the rest of the system's individual components. What we've received from Gigabyte may just fulfill those requirements. The i-RAM, or GC-RAMDISK as it is officially known, is a single PCI card that has support for up to 4GB of memory, using nothing more than standard DDR DIMMS, regardless of their respective speeds. Recognized as an ordinary drive by the system, it's a simple, straightforward approach at increased drive performance.

Got DDR Laying around?

Eclecticos
01-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Looks like someone beat me to it. Whoop. . Here (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10505) <=-

crenn
01-27-2008, 09:41 AM
As I said in the last thread, those can get corrupted fairly easily. It's $200 for RAM alone and then you have to find the device itself.

Also those devices are limited to SATAI. A redesign of the device to allow DDR2 and a SATAII interface may bring it back upto 'standard'.

J-Roc
01-27-2008, 03:47 PM
As i understand it, the battery life is poor with that aswell. I believe its around 16hrs. So if you dont run your computer everyday, you run the risk of having everything on the drive erased.

I've never seen any computer with this device, allthough its a good idea. If they do update the product i would like to see multiple CF banks along with SataII & PCI-E.

.Maleficus.
01-27-2008, 11:27 PM
As i understand it, the battery life is poor with that aswell. I believe its around 16hrs. So if you dont run your computer everyday, you run the risk of having everything on the drive erased.

I've never seen any computer with this device, allthough its a good idea. If they do update the product i would like to see multiple CF banks along with SataII & PCI-E.
Bingo. SATA2 and PCI-E would be a make this much more worth while. Not to mention DDR2, and up the 4GB limit to at least 8GB. You might as well just buy a SSD otherwise.

For now, the only application I can see for it would be a sci-fi themed mod requiring excess of all computer-looking things. It's got the "oooh..." factor, and the "Neato!" factor, but not really the "That looks pretty useful" factor yet.

Luke122
01-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Definitely.. thought I read some benchmarks on this awhile ago.. something like a 8 or 16 second boot time into XP? That's pretty nice. :D

crenn
01-27-2008, 11:45 PM
It can get upto 150MB/s sustained. That's why a SATA II version would be better... imagine 300MB/s sustained. And DDR2 was because of the 8GB increase.... which would be ok, but not ideal.

Scotty
01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
I say someone should make one a PCI-E x1. Its by far the most unused slot ever. I have 2 free, if i could them buy 2 of these and slowly add RAM to create a RAID set-up i think id be bitching loading times.

crenn
01-28-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm actually planning to use a PCI-E 1x slot for a 4 port RAID card.

J-Roc
01-29-2008, 03:14 PM
They should use Compact Flash isnted of ddr. Its far cheaper to buy, Larger capacity's, and its non-volatile.

Allthough, now that i've done some reasearch, CF has a transfer rate of about 40mb/s sustained. I dont know how that would factor into the equasion but it seems it might decrease performance. I would however like to see non-volatile ram used in the I-Ram. It would do away with the onboard battery and would help ensure that your data stays on the drive.

At the very least, use SODIMM ram and add more banks. I dont see the I-Ram being usefull for anything with a 4GB limit. 8Gb is enough for an OS but is still on the small side.