PDA

View Full Version : Cannot copy thumbs: access is denied.

HackSore
01-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Ok, so im trying to copy a load of stuff from one external drive to another, and there are a few folders containing pictures that when i try to copy, i get the message "Cannot copy thumbs: access is denied. make sure the disk is not full or write-protected"
I had a search around and found a few guides for getting rid of thumbs.db files through using windows search to find them and mass delete them, the only problem is that the search isnt picking up any thumbs.db files in the folders i am having trouble with.
Im not that fussed about deleting the thumbs files, i just really need to copy all the data across, and at the moment i cant do that.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Luke122
01-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Turn on the "show hidden files" and "show protected operating system files" in the Tools-> Folder Options menu.

Select all, then CTRL-Click the thumbs.db files. Then go ahead and cut/paste the rest of the files. :)

HackSore
01-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Doesnt work, the thumbs files dont show.

Luke122
01-29-2008, 12:30 PM
thumbs.db file?

If you enable the hidden files and the protected operating system files (2 separate options), they should show up.. but be partially transparent still.

HackSore
01-29-2008, 12:33 PM
thumbs.db file?

If you enable the hidden files and the protected operating system files (2 separate options), they should show up.. but be partially transparent still.

For some reason the thumbs.db files still dont show after enabling hidden files and stuff, i dont know why.

I seem to have found a workaround for the batch copy operation for the moment, rar'ing seems to include all the photos but due to the access denied errors, leaves out the thumbs.db files, so that'll do for the moment.