PDA

View Full Version : poor man's 7.1

weirdguy
09-18-2005, 03:02 PM
well, after reading the audio section of maximum PC's guide to dream machine I decided I want sourround sound. Well, i'm poor and decided that I shouldn't need to buy new speakers. See why:
http://img283.imageshack.us/img283/2209/10049347xf.th.jpg (http://img283.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10049347xf.jpg)
os does anyone have any advice on getting 7.1 using these speakers? My sound card has support for 6 speakers + sub. thanks

dgrmkrp
09-18-2005, 03:44 PM
wel... let's see... you can plug 1 set of speakers in one jack and get stereo... plug another>>> quad.. so then you have 6.1. i think this is the only way you can get closer to 7.1 . basically the only problem will be volume levels (impedence matching id no issue if you are connecting only one jack per output). i once had two systems a stereo and a 2.1 and i connected them...wow..excellent sound stage! but! if the volumes had to be adjusted... go 10 feet back, go 10 feet forth..bleah... plus, no matter what cheap speakers you use... even in an array(split the signal several times or use a mixer and output to several pairs simultaneously... louder)they won't come close to a home-made system (dang, i pushed insert by mistake... lost something i think...:) ).. yeah, that's right.. it wont be thx certified :( .. but now my PC speakers are linked to a pioneer stereo head (200W) and i have never driven these babies to more than 30% :D(apartment buidlings suck btw)... i suggest you buy a cheap amp off of ebay (a few bucks, maybe 1 euro plus shipping..my case... maybe you could find a 5.1 amp...i've seen one,used but rocking!!!, for about 200$...they are out there!) and buy some wood and speakers(partsexpress.com). it is much cheaper than anything else out there which is... mmm..comparable?.... i mean, hundreds of watts and a response you can't get out of the most expensive thx out there (ok, got carried away...)...soo... i suggest you sell these and make a budget..or use the soundcard and grow muscles :)