PDA

View Full Version : Hibernation causing a mental breakdown in windows...

Lord Ned
01-31-2008, 12:12 AM
So every time I re-install my OS, i have to go through the same loop each time. (Enabling Hibernation, etc)

So I finally got it working after 3 nights, and I hibernate on and off for a few days it's fine.

Then It starts making windows get headaches when it does it.
Start>Turn Off>Hibernate.

It sits and blinks at me.

Do it two more times without sucess. Try standbye. Nada. So I have to leave so i finally jam "Turn Off" (Bye bye work, :argh: ). Go to dinner at Rubios, come back.

Hit the on button, and what do you know. "Your computer is resuming from hibernation." Okay.... :think:

Gets up, shows my desktop backround (totally kicking rad, by the way) and it has a nice box. "Windows XP is now shutting down."

Uh No? I let it wait (previously I just jammed the restart button before, I can't be bothered to wait) and it goes on to say Now saving settings, etc. It switched to a solid black screen and sits.

*Reset*

Reboot, wait a day, hibernate. Bring it up the next morning. BSOD. Restart, delete restoration data, boot. Refuse to hibernate/standbye/. Turn off, repeat above.

Hibernate. Wake up next morning. Turn on. Works fine.

So any ideas on why Windows doesn't like hibernating this OS Install? The only thing I changed is from an IDE harddrive to a SATA harddrive.

Specs:
1.8 c2d, 2gb ram, 320gb SATA hd, Windows XP Pro.

Trace
01-31-2008, 01:06 AM
Increase the amount of disk space available to hibernate maybe?

crenn
01-31-2008, 06:01 AM
If you have 2GB free on your HDD, you shouldn't have a problem. I'm unsure what to advise, did you get any information from the BSOD?

Lord Ned
01-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Nothing, and I've got plenty of harddrive space.

Greco101
01-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Windows fully updated? RAM issue?

Lord Ned
02-01-2008, 12:19 AM
2gb ram should be fine, windows updated.

Spawn-Inc
02-01-2008, 12:58 AM
and you do fresh installs every time (format/install)?

Lord Ned
02-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Yes. Regardless this is a new harddrive, formatted with xp installed.

Lord Ned
02-02-2008, 01:16 PM
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/870/hibernationfailnz3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Turn it on today and get that. 2 bucks says it won't hibernate when I go to do it tonight.

Also imageshack keeps freezing firefox. :/

And sorry for the double post, The thread is kinda falling away.

And on the down side of this, my H harddrive doesn't show up in My Computer anymore.