PDA

View Full Version : Server Case Panels

malinkie
09-20-2005, 02:35 AM
Hi there, dunno if this is the right place to put this or not but here goes...

I got a full server tower for nothing from a neighbour who was moving out. I thought great, a huge amount of room to throw a new system into :). One problem has came up tho... the cover for the case is a whole piece rather than a top panel and 2 side panels. Kinda like the old AT cases. Any ideas on how i would be able to convert this panel (cut it and put hinges or summit) so i could open one side for easy access?

Thanks for the help

Malinkie

Malatory
09-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Best place to cut that would be on the bend as it comes from the top pannel to the side for support. Then file / sand the edges down and use the c-channel molding that Tribaloverkill received from www.mnpctech.com.

problems I would worry about at this point is the case going to rattle and/or is the side pannel going to fit snug agains the case.

public_eyesore
09-20-2005, 02:05 PM
i think it would be more work than its worth.

crazybillybob
09-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Mal,

Can you post some pics Front, side, and back. That way we can tell you where to cut and help with hinge Ideas (easier to give you details when you can seee what your talking about!)

Depending on the case it may very well be worth the effort. (of course I've been working on a case mod for 1yr and spent my weekend drilling 100's of holes in Aluminum and PCB. R2SRV (http://thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1092) So I maybe biased)

Crazybillybob

malinkie
09-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks for all the replys.

In my opinion, no case is a lost cause for work. I have modded a couple of cases small time (windows, blowholes etc) but this case i feel is perfect for my first hardcore case mod. Especially since i got it for nothing :).

I would post pics but since i have just moved from the UK to the US i have no camera and no system of my own YET! If i did i would have loved to show off the work i have already done on the front bezel ;) Once i find a camera i can use then i will post pics of it. In the mean time could you find another pic of a case with a similar panel to point out where to cut (no website as of yet either to throw the pics on)

The rattling can be subuded easily if moulding is used, a decent locking mechanism is found for the door and if i re-enforce the panels with either perspex or sheet aluminium.

This forum suffice to say ROCKS :D

public_eyesore
09-20-2005, 08:33 PM
i just dont see modding a case to make it like all others. I would take the one piece idea and make a mod around that.

malinkie
09-20-2005, 10:10 PM
The idea (in my head anyway :s) is not to make it like any other case but to leave the back side panel and top panel as one. Leaving the front side panel (the one that allows you access to the mobo / PCI cards / etc) easy to open. I will be cutting out a rectangular part of that side of the whole panel and adding either a couple of door hinges or trying some servo work to open it.

As far as i have seen cases (and that is for a while), this is not even close to a normal AT / ATX / BT / BTX case. I'm am not saying it has been done before but it is not exactly normal.

Malatory
09-21-2005, 09:07 AM
My small UNiX servers have the same type of case pannels ... maybe since I am going to paint one of them in the next few weeks, I can take a pic and see if it is like what your taking about.

malinkie
09-21-2005, 08:13 PM
plz mal ;)