PDA

View Full Version : is this ram good enough?

Cannibal23
02-01-2008, 12:49 PM
hi there. my system is overclocked at home and i currently have some hyperx memory in it. i dont remember the exact part # of it but im pretty sure this is the same stuff. essentually i want to add more ram to my rig but i hear something about if you use all 4 slots you cant overclock. is this true? the ram i want to use is this

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KHX3200AK2/2G&promo=hx2shp

Spawn-Inc
02-01-2008, 02:59 PM
i think i've heard similar but i don't believe it. i have 4x 1gb sticks of ram and i'm ocing them and everything else on my rig with no problems. i say you will be fine so long as you get the same set/specs/make etc.

Cannibal23
02-01-2008, 03:20 PM
ya i got to go home and get the part # off my ram and see if its the same (im reasonably sure it is). cant wait to go home tonight. finaly got the paint and bondo right on the front panel so now i can finish up.

crenn
02-02-2008, 01:46 AM
It's not a case that you can't overclock with 4 RAM sticks.. it's a case it can sometimes be harder to get a high speed than if you used 2 sticks of RAM.

Cannibal23
02-05-2008, 05:52 PM
is that because the other sticks might have a lower clock limit then the other set? im using 2 identicle matched pairs hopefully this dosent present a problem

mtekk
02-05-2008, 06:31 PM
is that because the other sticks might have a lower clock limit then the other set? im using 2 identicle matched pairs hopefully this dosent present a problem

Yes, if you had mixed and matched memory (e.g. you had two sticks of matched XMS DDR400 and then two sticks of the kingston DDR400). The biggest thing to worry about is that even if the memory is of the same speed, the timings may be different, and that could cause problems. Additionally no two memory chips are the same, and thus different sticks will be able to achieve different memory clocks without problems, you are limited to the slowest chip (kinda like the weakest link of a chain).

You shouldn't have many issues when using 2 identical matched pairs.

J-Roc
02-06-2008, 02:42 AM
I have kingston HyperX ram in my machine also. Allthough its faster than yours, it should still be able to overclock simmilarily like mine. With all 4 DIMM's occupied i was able to get over 100mhz more. I know i can get it faster if i loosen the timmings more. You might have to do the same.

Kingston is a strong brand and i consider it an industry standard. It may not have the performance cappabillities as some of the other high end sticks out there but it is better than all value ram and most in the mid range. It is a solid performer and is on every motherboards compaitbillity list. Some asus boards have a pre-programed overclock setting especially for the HyperX line aswell.