PDA

View Full Version : What tools?

Wolfie
09-21-2005, 03:14 PM
I am getting into to modding, but I want to do more than just add pretty lights to the inside of a case, but do some work on the outside as well. Really, I want to do the same kind of stuff like the Doom 3 case, but not quite to that level! But looking to making my own case window, adding external features such as moudlings with drives built in and possibly a screen and moving parts that move when switching the PC on.

Though I am not sure what I want to do yet, I want to do these just to push my self and see how much I can do. So really, I need to be able to cut plastics and metals, plus perspex (sp?), also to drill holes into these materials. Also a bit of electronics involving the main board and the PSU. Most likely start by making a testing rig like Paul did (don't like the idea of using wood on it, but what I am thinking for my case mod may involve wood, but a minor detail).

So what I am asking is the sort of tools I should get as I am able to get decent tools fairly cheap at the moment as my bro works for Draper's here in the UK. What would you guys recommend?

Cheers!

Malatory
09-21-2005, 03:39 PM
starters.

Soldering Iron 15-30W (this is for the electrontics stuff). Replace it if the tip doesn't heat up. I am fixing someone elses work because they dont/or cant replace theres.

Dremel: small and use full tool for small projects (Cuts, drills, polish, but it wont do dishes)

Drill: For making holes in things.

Misc
Glue, solder, Idea's, Pen & paper. work space

Oh yeah ... read this post as well ...
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448&highlight=shop

crazybillybob
09-21-2005, 04:37 PM
A Drill Press....The only way to make stright Holes (lots of them)

You can pick up a cheapy 8" for $39.99 (www.harborfreight.com) better ones cost more (and don't have all the slop and runout in them) Ie www.Sears.com

Check the link Mal gave you there's a whole bunch of Ideas.

Best advice Buy one or two tools a month for a few months before you start a big project....That way your not dropping $1000 (this is a low estament!!)on tools on top of the $1500 your dropping for your rig...

Crazybillybob

malinkie
09-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Try and get a hot knife end for the soldering iron too. This can help if you are doing mouldings for the bottom of the case (polystyrene)

Electric sander if you have the cash can stop the arm and shoulder pains from sanding too :)

Wolfie
09-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Great stuff guys! Two items I wouldn't of thought of like a Dremel and sander. I will have a good look through that link Malatory gave.

Cheers!

public_eyesore
09-22-2005, 02:05 PM
somthing i just found out, and ive used it a bunch is a rivet tool

Myrdhyn
09-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Some of my favorites are :
variable speed dremel: get a variety of bits, you never know when you will need one and not be able to run to the store, and you never know when you can use something for a purpose other than what it was designed and it does exactly what you need
soldering iron
sanding block: various grits of sandpaper from 200ish up to 2000ish
drill: again with a variety of bits
screwdrivers: tons of shapes and sizes everything from square tip to torx to phillips, precision
pliers: needle nose (2-3 sizes), linesman (2-3 sizes), slip joint, angled needle nose, side cutters, nippers, wire strippers/crimpers
knifes: exacto, utility, general purpose pocket knife, couple of loose razor blades, scissors
hot glue gun
multimeter - i prefer analog most people prefer digital
rivet gun
allen wrenches
alligator clips
rulers, compass, t-square, tape measure, protractor