PDA

View Full Version : Modem?

killergamer
02-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Ok so im getting cable soon! In like 2 days..(Ohh YEA) As you can see I'm happy.:D Well are cable service will be charging like $5 per month just for the modem and I was wondering if there was a good modem I can just buy so we save money in the long run? Were getting the best they have so it needs to be fast but has to cost between $50 and $60.

Thank you in advance!

mtekk
02-04-2008, 06:02 PM
I have a Linksys/Cisco cable modem and it works well. I know the Motorola ones are ok as well. I'd steer clear of the RCA ones (I don't really like RCA and their modems have this nice phone-home feature to do periodic "updates" to its firmware).

SgtM
02-05-2008, 12:15 AM
I have a Linksys/Cisco cable modem and it works well. I know the Motorola ones are ok as well. I'd steer clear of the RCA ones (I don't really like RCA and their modems have this nice phone-home feature to do periodic "updates" to its firmware).

Yeah, RCA means Really Crappy Appliance. I had issues with an RCA TV once, they would not honor their warranty. I swore to them that I will never buy or recommend their products again. Anyway, Motorola modems are good, as are anything by Scientific Atlanta.. I've installed both. If you buy your own, you'll have to call your cable operator and have the MAC address added to their system so that way it synch's up and allows you to surf. Who's your cable operator though? I haven't heard of anyone charging for modems for a while now.

killergamer
02-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Ok well we got the Scientific Atlanta with it. SO... Yea when I worked at the Charlton a telemarketing company they thought us that your charged for the the modem? So I don't know any more.