PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best HTPC OS?

J-Roc
02-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Im going to be building my HTPC soon and i just want to know what all my options are for operating systems. I was refered to Linux MCE for kubuntu. Allthough it seems decent enough, i want to know what other options are out there.

Im going to be starting this build with a small 20Gb HDD so the smaller the better. I need the os to be compatible with my xp desktop for the file system and networking. I dont want to get into a quagmire with network conflicts and settings either. A free os allways beats somthing paid for.

I have heard of a WinXP Lite version but im sure there is cost associated with it. I do have a copy of Unbuntu Ultimate Gamers Edition but it had problems recognizing some of my hardware, my Razer AC-1 sound card to be exact. With a HTPC i dont want to render my high end sound card usless either.

What are my choices? So far i have 2 viable options, XP or L-MCE.

.Maleficus.
02-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Definitely a Linux distro. You could use Ubuntu, it's a very easy distro. It also works with the AC-1 card you have.

Check out this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=416380) for info.

Also, with Samba, setting up shares with Windows should be no problem.