PDA

View Full Version : case improvement

edwardjwoolley
09-22-2005, 07:48 AM
hi im an A level design student and my project i have chosen this year is to improve computer casing in as many ways as possible there for i need lots of problems to build on. please could people post in problems with their existing casing thanks

weirdguy
09-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Mine doesn't have enough room behind the mobo tray to hide wires.
It also doesn't have a power supply crossbar to hide lights.
And it's made of steel

Malatory
09-22-2005, 10:43 AM
weight, space to work inside of the case

public_eyesore
09-22-2005, 02:13 PM
removable mobo trays, hard drive bays, and 5.25" and 3.5" drive bays

public_eyesore
09-22-2005, 02:15 PM
oh, what would be cool would be COMPLETLY screwless, including fans, mobo, hardrive, everything

Malatory
09-22-2005, 02:27 PM
oh, what would be cool would be COMPLETLY screwless, including fans, mobo, hardrive, everything

ok the screw less slot holding designs that are out there today SUCK. IMHO

Either need 3 hads to put it on or doesnt hold and you have to tap it out to get a good hold.

public_eyesore
09-22-2005, 02:48 PM
the ones in my hp were awesome there kinda big and obnoxious tho.

crazybillybob
09-22-2005, 03:39 PM
A case with a modular drsiegn would be great. Where the HDD mounts and the optical mounts could be switched. and that had provisions for the PSu to be mounted on the bottom of the case aswell as the top of the case (or allow Dual PSU!) with enough space and screw holes to hold 2 Mobo's. A switchable front plate that gives you one with a power / reset button and HDD light for each Mobo or a front plate the just has one power/ reset button and HDD light that controls both mobos. With 120mm fan mounts in front and rear.

Just giving you Ideas. :)

Crazybillybob

Zeus
09-22-2005, 04:07 PM
one thing that goes along with the weight comment, is there any particular reason why we haven't seen any cases that are made out of titanium? I have seen titanium products and seem to be far more complex.

Just curious

public_eyesore
09-22-2005, 07:01 PM
A case with a modular drsiegn would be great. Where the HDD mounts and the optical mounts could be switched. and that had provisions for the PSu to be mounted on the bottom of the case aswell as the top of the case (or allow Dual PSU!) with enough space and screw holes to hold 2 Mobo's. A switchable front plate that gives you one with a power / reset button and HDD light for each Mobo or a front plate the just has one power/ reset button and HDD light that controls both mobos. With 120mm fan mounts in front and rear.

Just giving you Ideas. :)

Crazybillybob

that really just sounds like 2 computers lol

crazybillybob
09-23-2005, 11:06 AM
one thing that goes along with the weight comment, is there any particular reason why we haven't seen any cases that are made out of titanium? I have seen titanium products and seem to be far more complex.

Just curious

Waht about Carbon Fiber? it light rigid and strong! Ohhh...Titanium/carbon fiber Case.....I think I'm in love!

Crazybillybob

crazybillybob
09-23-2005, 11:13 AM
that really just sounds like 2 computers lol

That was kinda the point. One case to take to a Lan. But I've got my Game server and My Rig I play on in one box.

Right now It take me about 2hrs to setup at a Lan (and the crap fills my truck)

I pack a 2'x2'x2'@ box with all the power connections /strips for the lan. A 2'x1'x8" box with a pair of 24 port switches in it. My Pc, 21" monitor (games and other crap) and a 3'x3'x5' Atm machine (the game server) (which really has 2 machines in it...one for Dhcp,Dns, etc....The other just server games)

To go to a lan with less stuff saves me time! and the tought of 2 Pc's in the same space under my desk is just cool.....I can run pure linux on one and XP on the other.....with out giving up all my leg room.

Crazybillybob

Bum
09-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Anything along the lines of cooling the ambient temperature of the case. Since CPUs and GPUs are putting out so much heat these days, if the ambient temp of the case could be lower than room temp that would be that much better for the system.

Haiku
10-22-2005, 03:20 PM
One thing about titanium is that it would be far from affordable, it's a very commen metal but the problem is with mining and machining it, the same things that make everyone like it also make it hard to work with, 50 to 90% of the primary form’s weight ends up as chips. I researched it due to me wanting some custom race parts made out of it lol, just for example, I know it's not the same as a case made from it but to give you an idea of the cost there is a full exhaust system made for ducati's and it's really not that much metal if you think about it, but it runs in the 4,000 dollar range. While roughly the same amount of stainless steel would run about between 1/4 to 1/2 that.

I know it's an exhaust system for a motorcyle and nothing to do with computers but it was easy to use as a comparison :)

Rankenphile
10-23-2005, 04:12 AM

Just curious

Cost is a major reason. That stuff ain't cheap!