PDA

View Full Version : Moving an aray from one mobo to another?

J-Roc
02-04-2008, 01:07 AM
I got a question thats a bit of an odd ball. I want to know if its possible to move an aray from one computer to antoher and keep my files intact. I have a dedicated HDD for my htpc for the OS so if its possible, i wont have to repair or reinstall windows on the aray.

The reason im askin is because i have to send my GFX card into xfx for repair, and i dont have another one to replace it while its gone, not even onboard video. Which means i'll be unable to use this computer or access the files on the aray. My htpc mobo which will be ariving shortly supports raid but i dont know if it will automaticly pick up the hard drives as an aray or make me recreate it. I obviously dont want to recreate it and loose my files.

OvRiDe
02-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Unfortunately, I don't you going to be able to accomplish this. Most raid array do not store the RAID configuration on the hard drives. So when you recreate the RAID array on the new Mobo, it will want to initialize the array, and THAT will destroy your data.

Sorry

J-Roc
02-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah thats what i thought. Thanks old timer.

vastonecat
03-27-2008, 10:10 PM
I got a question thats a bit of an odd ball. I want to know if its possible to move an aray from one computer to antoher and keep my files intact. I have a dedicated HDD for my htpc for the OS so if its possible, i wont have to repair or reinstall windows on the aray.

I was wondering if you tried it as when I lost my last comp the drives were in 2 separate arrays and now I will have them in "My Black Box" and was wondering basically the same thing... will I lose my info? So if you have followed Overide's info then I guess that I will be the guinea pig for this by default.:eek:

J-Roc
03-31-2008, 01:16 AM
I never tried it. Not worth the risk of loosing my data. If you've essentualy lost your data by loosing your comp then its worth a shot right?

Let me know how it goes!