PDA

View Full Version : Intel Silverthorne

Zephik
02-07-2008, 03:24 AM
Damn, that is tiny! (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080205-small-wonder-inside-intels-silverthorne-ultramobile-cpu.html)

:eek:

Heres the Digg Article (http://www.digg.com/hardware/Small_wonder_inside_Intel_s_Silverthorne_ultramobi le_CPU) by the way. Share it where you can! There needs to be more cool tech articles like this and less everything else on Digg.

Zephik
02-07-2008, 03:48 AM
Just finished reading the article, damn that was a good read! I suggest you guys read through the whole thing, the ending was very satisfying I thought. :)

But I didn't understand half of it, so I'll leave the discussion up to you guys. lol

crenn
02-07-2008, 06:12 AM
I need to pull out my international coinage and see if I can find a dime. I have a feeling that this will become a very good CPU. I wish I had it in my phone!

Zephik
02-07-2008, 07:45 AM
I need to pull out my international coinage and see if I can find a dime. I have a feeling that this will become a very good CPU. I wish I had it in my phone!

The iPhone has one almost as good as this one, or at least so says the article I believe. But it has some limitations where as this one supposedly wont have any, at least thats how I understand it. I guess its sort of like, the iPhone has the most advanced mobile cpu currently, whereas the Silverthorne is a super small pc cpu that can be placed into just about anything, like a phone for example, because of its small size.

Basically putting a Pentium 4 into your phone, which is pretty freaking sweet since thats what I've been running since I've owned a computer.

Intel is one amazing company. First a 60 percent reduced in size core 2 duo, now this ultra small processor with the power of a Pentium 4. Amazing.

Whats even more amazing is how people speak that freaky mumbo jumbo computer language stuff! I mean what the hell lol I couldn't understand half of what he said! I wonder where you learn that kind of stuff? Its pretty cool.

NightrainSrt4
02-07-2008, 10:25 AM
I don't understand how they say that it could replace the chip in the Air, which is relatively underpowered.

If I'm not mistaken the chip in the Air is a Core2 with reduced size and clocked at 1.6ghz. How a single core, with hyperthreading, clocked just a bit higher (on the top end model)with a measly cache is going to do better than that I don't know. But then again the power consumption on the new chip appears amazing. If they could use the new chip and lower the price of the Air by quite a bit then it could be worth it. But if price stays up and they lower the performance of the Air its just going to get bashed even worse.

I can see a lot being done with this chip. Small size, small power requirements, and decent performance for what it is. Intel is doing a good job.

This chip, like they said, would be Awesome in the eeePc. Over twice the clock on the high end chip, hyperthreading, and extremely low power consumption = AWESOME. I would go buy an eeePc if it upgraded to this chip. Shoot I want one now lol.