PDA

View Full Version : 1u server

sublevel4
02-07-2008, 11:12 AM
I was reciently given a 1u rack server. The system is great and really not that old. I am going to set it up in my home office. The only issue i am going to have is that the thing is loud. The fans in that thing make it sound like a jet engine. I do like the thin size as i was going to mount it to the wall under my desk. I am guessing that if i wanted to i could buy a standard case and migrate everything there and put some proc. fans in there and have a standard comp. I was also thinking of building a thin box of it to go in and on the back side put in some space with baffles and a larger quite fan to pull the air out. I don't know if that would really do the trick. So I am looking for some ideas.

:think:

Airbozo
02-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Depends on the fans. The little turbine fans are loud. No amount of sound deadening will reduce that noise to an acceptable level. You could see if there is enough room for a different type of fan like this;
http://www.mpja.com/images/16720.jpg

BTW: Welcome to the forums!

sublevel4
02-23-2008, 07:58 PM
That is an idea. I was sitting here looking at this thing and a light bulb went off. there are no fans on the processors themselves just heatsinks. If i get a couple of good 1u processor heatsinks with fans i should be about to get away with fewer fans. There is a baffle that directs most of the air from the 5 little turbines across the ram and then over the processor heat sinks and then toward the back of the unit. Then i could use a couple fans like above to move the air around the case. Is my logic correct? any thoughts?

XcOM
02-24-2008, 10:51 AM
should work in thory, but i would sugest that you keep a check on the temps when you do it.

sublevel4
02-25-2008, 03:51 PM
would it be better to just put it in a regular case and put regular proc. fans on it and case fans?

Airbozo
02-25-2008, 04:12 PM
would it be better to just put it in a regular case and put regular proc. fans on it and case fans?

To quiet the system down, yes that is really the only option unless you want to spend several thousand on specific cooling parts.

Be careful though, I have seen server boards that have voltage regulators that need more cooling than the memory or cpu's... Other than that check the board size. A lot of the server boards are _E_ATX not just ATX... ...and some server boards need the heatsink mounts found on the 1u chassis (or any rackmount chassis for that matter)...

Hope this helps!