PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Reinstall

Indybird
02-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Alright, heres the predicament:
I'm going to be getting a newer and mucher faster 250GB SATA Hard Drive to be used as my main HDD. When I bought my computer I got Vista Home Premium OEM (I think) using the upgrade program from microsoft (which I'll never, ever do again). Heres my questions:
Can I simply install Vista again on my new hard drive using the same CD key? -or- is Microsoft going to be really strict and not let me install it a second time?

Thanks,
Indybird

xRyokenx
02-08-2008, 12:30 AM
I'd clone the drive with something... like Acronis or Ghost or whatever program it is you can do that with.

Indybird
02-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Thats the thing though, I want to do a fresh install. A lot of Vista features never worked right and now I'm starting to have a lot of other problems.

So can I install it again?

-Indybird

xRyokenx
02-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Ahh... I'm really not sure. You might could look it up on the M$ website or Google it, lol. I'd go do so now but I've gotta leave for the doctor in a sec.

Luke122
02-08-2008, 01:22 PM
I would definitely contact M$ about this one.

chaksq
02-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Dude I just did exactly what you are talking about. I actually switched machines completely. I wiped Vista (Home Premium) off the machine it was originally installed on then installed it on the new computer. At first it would not let me activate, however a couple of days later it activated automatically. Your using the same machine so Vista might even be able to detect that, someone mentioned something about Vista verifying the mainboard and processor. I think you will be fine, my advice is to install Vista on your new HD keep the old HD untouched, if it doesn't activate right away give it a few days to activate. I think mine activated like 4 or 5 days after the install.

Indybird
02-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Dude I just did exactly what you are talking about. I actually switched machines completely. I wiped Vista (Home Premium) off the machine it was originally installed on then installed it on the new computer. At first it would not let me activate, however a couple of days later it activated automatically. Your using the same machine so Vista might even be able to detect that, someone mentioned something about Vista verifying the mainboard and processor. I think you will be fine, my advice is to install Vista on your new HD keep the old HD untouched, if it doesn't activate right away give it a few days to activate. I think mine activated like 4 or 5 days after the install.

Thats what I was thinking about doing, I suppose the worst that could happen is that the installation on my new hard drive won't activate...

-Indybird

crenn
02-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Even if it doesn't activate, just ring Microsoft and tell them you reinstalled vista. I wouldn't think it's a problem at all.

Quakken
02-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Microsoft has turned into nazi's with vista, that's crazy that it won't allow you to put it on more than one of your computers. Just sad.

Airbozo
02-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Microsoft has turned into nazi's with vista, that's crazy that it won't allow you to put it on more than one of your computers. Just sad.

That is NOT being a nazi. That is called good business sense. In fact EVERY software company out there that sells software for a living has this same rule. It is common sense. Doing otherwise is considered piracy. Some software companies do allow you to install their SW on different computers so long as you are only using ONE copy at a time. I have several games that are installed on my home system and on my work system. I am not violating the eula since I am only using the software on one system at a time. This is not true with an OS or other SW like virus protection.

As for re-installing the eula indicates that it is legal to install the OS on a different HD if you wipe the other. Vista should activate just fine if only the HD was changed. If you start rebuilding your computer with different parts it will fail. It also depends on what OS you used to do the upgrade. If it was an OEM disk you are screwed if you change the mobo.

If it fails to activate, phone up M$ and tell them your HD died and you are trying to re-install on a new drive. They will allow you to activate.

J-Roc
02-09-2008, 01:38 PM
It should be exactly like XP was from what i've read. I dont think its smart enough to realize whats been changed, it just knows the hardware profile string is diffrent. It will allow you to reactivate 3 times through the automatic activation, after that you'll allways have to phone microsoft and have them generate an activation code for you.

I've only ever had the one copy of xp and i've used it on 4-5 diffrent computers with many reinstalls.