PDA

View Full Version : Unfreezable coolant

legoman786
09-23-2005, 05:26 PM
I am very close to creating my own piece of art, and I want to know if there is such a coolant that does not freeze and is EPA approved. Also, I would like one that is non-conductive.

A good friend of mine suggested GAS or OIL, but both of them are conductive and dangerous to the environment.

So, is there such a thing as an unfreezable, non-conductive, EPA approved coolant?

Thanx much

Dark-hobo
09-23-2005, 08:09 PM
well, the new freons... buuuuuuut, you might die when you tinker with those. So I would suggest staying away from that.

Aero
09-23-2005, 11:23 PM
everything freezes if its cold enough.

legoman786
09-24-2005, 01:44 AM
I want something that wont fereze when in contact with a peltier cold plate.

Aero
09-24-2005, 04:30 PM
I want something that wont fereze when in contact with a peltier cold plate.

ahhh, ok. how about mixing water and anti-frereze?

legoman786
09-25-2005, 01:03 PM
...is there such a thing as an unfreezable, non-conductive, EPA approved coolant?
I wanna be able to just pull the tube off the barb and be like "Hey, I can still grow plants here!! HEHE."

Yeah, I'm for the green. So, sue me. I want to live for the longest time possible. Besides, doesn't anti-freeze freeze?

Aero
09-25-2005, 09:27 PM
wow, I just realized how dumb my last post was, the water would freeze :p.

Rankenphile
09-25-2005, 10:19 PM
What about rubbing alcohol, or similar alcohol. Not particularly toxic, and has a very low freezing point. I don't know about conductivity, however. Might be worth a shot.

Also, it may act as a corrosive on some types of tubing, test it beforehand.

Sneak
09-26-2005, 03:41 AM
We used Alcohol to clean connetors and what not on Mobos and circuts at my school. I'm pretty sure it's non-conductive, or else we wouldn't have done it.

AKA_RA
09-26-2005, 06:22 AM
i would say run some tests with the conductivity of alcohol, i googled alcohol and its conductivity and came up with two completely opposite answers. i think its odd that a website would say its non-conductive when another site has warnings about how conductive it is.

EDIT: I just realized that alcohols thermal conductivity is actually less than water, so that may or may not be a problem, either way, its something worth experimenting with.

Rankenphile
09-26-2005, 11:17 AM
One thing to consider is that most rubbing alcohol has a very large percentage of water in it. This may cause separation when put to very low temperatures, causing the water to freeze out of the alcohol, similar to what you see when you freeze a beer (blech - voice of experience talking here). You can buy higher grades from some chemical supply companies.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how extremely high proof drinking alcohol, such as Everclear, which is 95% pure alcohol, would work. I know it's not great to drink, but if you could find a practical use for it, you might be on to something.

crazybillybob
09-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Alot of the Alcohals that you you can pick up at the hardware and drug store or what not have other "Additives" in them....Like WATER, or a Buffering agent,or a light oil.

Dupont (sp?) makes a liquid refrigerant that looks like water that I belive is non-toxic but is very expensive. But I have seen an articel on an over clocking site where the submerged the pc in this the used dry ice to cool the liquid really cold....there may heve even been liquid Nitrogen used as well.....I can't remeber the site...Try googling Submerged PC....

Good Luck,
Crazybillybob

Rankenphile
09-26-2005, 12:21 PM
I've seen that stuff too, Billybob. I forget the name, but they also use it in fire suppressing sprinkler systems in corporate offices. It has all of the physical characteristics of water, is completely non-toxic, but the wierd thing is that it is completely non-conductive and will not get things wet! I saw a demonstration on some tech television show or something about a year ago where they actually submerged a PC in it and ran it, then soaked a book for over a minute, then pulled it out and the pages were still dry.

It is used in office buildings, that can afford it, because most of the damage from fires in buildings like that don't come from the fire itself, but from the water ruining the papers and electronics. I believe it was originally code-named "Sapphire".

I did some google searches for it, and didn't come up with anything immediately, except for a article link to an ABC affiliate linked from an Xbox forum that is broken. I did find the following links that I thought were pretty interesting, though.

PC Submerged in Oil (http://www.eppenga.com/folder.php?id=21)

Another oil-submerged PC (http://techreport.com/etc/2001q4/comdex/index.x?pg=11)

Very exciting liquid-metal cooling systems. (http://www.techpowerup.com/?3105)

legoman786
09-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Very exciting liquid-metal cooling systems. (http://www.techpowerup.com/?3105)
I want one :D

Basically, there is something that matches my criteria, but is uber expensive?

Bum
09-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Yes....the really super low freezing point, non-conductive, liquids are generally VERY pricey. Like $100 per quart. They are so specialized that you very nearly need to be in the industry to get them.

BTW the ingredient in antifreeze that lowers the freezing point is an alcohol (ethylene glycol).

Rankenphile
09-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Lol... leave it to a guy named Bum to know exactly what kind of alcohol you can find in antifreeze. :P

Bum
09-28-2005, 12:41 AM
Whad are you...hic...implorin', applyin', impeach....sayin'?

Zeus
09-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Whad are you...hic...implorin', applyin', impeach....sayin'?

ROFL

GregoryJ
10-04-2005, 07:19 PM
It would also go without saying that alcohol is also very flammable. The key to alcohol cooling is that it heats up and cools down faster than water. With any cooling solution there are always trade offs. A staight (treated) watercooling setup is less likely to be effected by the case's ambient temps (effecting the water travelling through the tubing) then with alcohol. The trade off is that water takes more energy to heat BUT that means that it also can carry more heat off of the processor/chipset/gpu. Water at room temp is still water. Alcohol is in phase change turning from liquid to gas (hence the smell) at average room temps. The real key would be the radiator. The bigger the Rad the more water it holds and the slower the water would move. This means it would have longer to cool and be more effective. Example: you cant put a radiator from a Civic into a Dodge hemi Pickup and expect it to perform as well as if it were in the smaller car.