PDA

View Full Version : The problem with plexi

Spaceroach
09-24-2005, 12:24 AM
I was wondering if there's any substance that is safe for cleaning plexi... then I got to thinking... what would happen if I clear-coated it? Would it adhere properly? Would I be able to clean the clearcoat the way I clean clearcoated (and painted) metal? Would there be some funky chemical reaction causing the plexi to melt/burn/explode?

In short, is it wise to clearcoat plexiglas?

slaveofconvention
09-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Can't be sure about chemical reactions, but I know you can get a clear primer then clearcoat (clearcoat or lacquer is just completely transparent paint) - I don't know for sure about if it'd stay completely glass-clear. Once it was clear-coated, it's the same thing as being painted metal - after all, you'd be cleaning the clearcoat, not the plexi. Best thing I could think of would be to test a piece of scrap plexi with the clear primer - as long as it didn't react, there's no reason you cant do it that I can think of

Aero
09-25-2005, 09:26 PM
just try it,. get a small peice of plexi, like a scrap, and then take alittle bit of clear coat and spray it on. I don't think anything would happen though.

Crimson Sky
09-26-2005, 12:23 AM
Putting a clear coat of paint on plexi (or other acrylics) will always make it hazy, distorted and foggy looking--although this might be OK for some applications, if you want optical clarity forget paint.

Plexi can be cleaned and polished to better-than-new clarity and shine by using Novus plastic polishes--they are basically rubbing compounds for plastic. There is also a finishing coat available for a high gloss. Just do a google for the brand name.

AKA_RA
09-26-2005, 08:18 AM
I just decided to try clear coating a scrap piece of lexan (not the same as acrylic, but its all i use) and it didnt seem to melt it or cause it to rot away like when you spray paint styrafoam. but like Crimson said, it might end up looking a little foggy when it dries. Just go with the stuff Crimson was talking about, im sure itll look much better than clearcoating plexi.

Malatory
09-26-2005, 12:18 PM
I would agree with CrimsonSky on this. Novus polish is the best for clear plastic/acrylic applications.

1 place to get it would be...
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=113&

Spaceroach
09-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Assuming I am unable to order stuff from the internet, would there be a hardware or art supply chain that would carry it?

Crimson Sky
09-26-2005, 09:28 PM
might find it at Auto stores. People use it to repair scratches in motorcycle fairings and other painted/clear parts.

GregoryJ
10-04-2005, 11:31 PM
lowes and the homedepot would carry something like that

DickNervous
10-05-2005, 10:24 AM
The Novus stuff works wonders. As for where to get it, I looked in Home Depot once and couldn't find it. Lowes might, but auto part stores are a good choice. Might also try smaller hardware stores like Ace or a local one.