PDA

View Full Version : Ageia (Creator of PhysX) has been acquired...

crenn
02-10-2008, 04:16 AM
Yep, Ageia has been acquired.... by NVidia.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1202161567170.html

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7305.html
http://www.firingsquad.com/features/ageia_physx_acquisition_interview/default.asp
http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Whats_Nvidias_Plan_for_Ageia/551-86661-547.html
http://news.google.co.uk/news?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=ageia&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tab=wn&scoring=n&sa=N&start=0
http://www.bootdaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1006&Itemid=59
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/editorial/display/ageia-acquisition-interview-2008.html
http://au.gamespot.com/news/6185534.html

I'm hoping that this goes well. I'm holding off buying a PPU until I hear a little more information on what is going to happen. Thoughts are flying around including that NVidia won't make a new PPU but make it so that the PhysX software can run on a GPU.

Either way, this is going to be an interesting partnership.

The boy 4rm oz
02-10-2008, 05:13 AM
I heard about this. Nvidia will use this to fully integrate an on board physics chip on their graphics cards. They tried to get on board physics with the 88** series but it didn't work.

Trace
02-10-2008, 05:18 AM
Dang! That gives them a step up on ATI!

The boy 4rm oz
02-10-2008, 05:23 AM
Yeah it does. A bit off topic. Did you hear about Microsoft wanting to take over Yahoo? Yahoo rejected a $44.6 Billion USD offer.
Linky:
http://www.techpowerup.com/52116/Yahoo_to_Reject_Microsoft%E2%80%99s_$44.6_Billion_ Offer.html

J-Roc
02-10-2008, 05:25 AM
Actually, Nvidia did include it on some select models. The 8600 can compute physics.

NVIDIAŽ Quantum Effects™ Technology
Advanced shader processors architected for physics computation enable a new level of physics effects to be simulated and rendered on the GPU—all while freeing the CPU to run the game engine and AI.

And ATI has had it a standard feature for a while now. Thats why ageia never really took off.

Allthough, neither MFG has had an onboard chip dedicated to physics.

The boy 4rm oz
02-10-2008, 05:27 AM
I stand corrected lol. I knew they were thinking about physics calculations but I never realized that Quantum Effects was the finished product.

crenn
02-10-2008, 06:27 AM
I'm interested to see if the PhysX will be able to run on a GPU and means I don't need to buy a PPU.... or if there is a better PPU coming out.

Dang! That gives them a step up on ATI!

I have a feeling that if it's integrated onto GeForce cards... Nvidia may release another PPU card so that ATI users can get the PhysX effects.... but that's my thoughts. Nvidia has to be careful how they do this, if they make it exclusive to their cards, then it's possible that it may take off.

I'm also hoping that if this takes off, existing PhysX-accelerated games will run on the new system (whatever it may be).

The boy 4rm oz
02-10-2008, 06:43 AM
I was hanging out for a PCI-e version of the PhysX card so it didn't need a dedicated power connector but that never happened. Ageia had something there but I believe they didn't release it quite right and with tests indicating that the card slowed your graphics down they didn't do enough testing either.

crenn
02-10-2008, 07:51 AM
The PCI-e wasn't released since older motherboards had problems with the signal on the PCI-E1x slot (found this on Ageia forums)

The boy 4rm oz
02-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Yeah I guess so. They were all having issues. Oh well, hopefully Nvidia can turn trash into treasure with this one.

crenn
02-10-2008, 10:10 AM
That's what I'm hoping. With NVidia's help, PhysX technology may become a bigger success especially if they can get another PPU out or run it on GPU.

noopypoop
02-10-2008, 10:33 PM
So would they offer it as a driver upgrade on older models or would you have to have the built in physics?

.Maleficus.
02-10-2008, 11:10 PM
So would they offer it as a driver upgrade on older models or would you have to have the built in physics?
If they could just update drivers there would be no need to even consider buying a physics card :). You'd have to buy the card, or buy a graphics card with it built in (if that's where they're going).

Hopefully they go with the dedicated card route again. I'd much rather spend $200 on a physics card than $400 on a graphics/physics combo. I've already got a $280 card :dead:.

Anyways, this could be a good merger. Ageia needs the support of a bigger company, and having better features and cards never hurt anybody. With game devs seeing Nvidia and Ageia working together, we'll undoubtedly see more games with PhysX support.

crenn
02-10-2008, 11:20 PM
I think the Ageia staff is excited about the merger.

The boy 4rm oz
02-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Why wouldn't they, they have been teemed up with the biggest GPU manufacturer in the world. Nvidia have all the research and facilities, the Ageia people can go nuts lol.

J-Roc
02-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Well im unsure of how it'll play out in the end but i hope they licence the technology so ATI can still use the features. I would really hate to see a monopoly from Nvidia. I also would hate to see the day where video games where brand specific.

ATI needs to get its arse in gear and start doing somthing useful for a change. They really need a win in one form or another over nvidia to keep in the game. They've had a ruff time since the merger.

More details about the acquisition will be provided during NVIDIA's quarterly conference call, to be held on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Pacific Time. The Company's prepared remarks will be followed by a question and answer period, which will be limited to questions from financial analysts and institutional investors. To listen to the conference call, please dial 212-231-2901; no password is required. The conference call will also be webcast live (listen-only mode) at the following Web sites: www.nvidia.com and www.streetevents.com.

crenn
02-11-2008, 02:31 AM
ATi, aka AMD is slowly coming back.

I'm also hoping that even if PhysX is run on GPUs, that NVidia will create another external card, or something.

The boy 4rm oz
02-11-2008, 03:20 AM
If they don't they will lose half the market. There will be those using AMD cards (if Nvidia don't share) and those with older generation Nvidia cards who will miss out on the benefits. I can see this being huge and hope it's all settled for when I buy my new graphics card in a few years time.

crenn
02-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Ageia is now 100% NVidia.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1202895129984.html

The boy 4rm oz
02-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Yay, can't wait to see what they come up with together.

Zephik
02-14-2008, 02:14 AM
"Celebrate, celebrate, dance to the music. Celebrate, celebrate, dance to the music."

Hahaha, that song just came on when I clicked this thread. :D

You know, it might be the huge geek in me mixed with the Fuzzy Navel I just drank, but I think I'm in love with nVidia. lol

NightrainSrt4
02-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Nvidia/Ageia (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/02/14/nvidia_finalises_ageia_deal_details_future_plans/1)

Another short article about Nvidia fully acquiring Ageia. Another thing to note on this article is that Nvidia states that they are porting the physics engine to use on CUDA. This means all 8 series cards equipped with it will be able to run the physics engine. All that is required is a software download.

They seem to be using this to push sli and tri-sli. They make mention of high end gamers using the 3rd gpu solely for the physics.

The boy 4rm oz
02-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Awesome, that means I can use it on my 8800GTX.

NightrainSrt4
02-14-2008, 07:54 PM
The only issue I haven't seen mentioned is that if it uses the entire card as physics, so only those with sli or tri sli can run the physics portion, or if it will run simultaneously with the regular gpu operations. I'm not sure if they have explicitly answered this question.

crenn
02-14-2008, 08:35 PM
It's still early stages.

NightrainSrt4
02-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Ya. From what ive heard they've been tossing around the idea of unequal sli. Basically using a completely different card to share some of the load.

It would be nice to be able to pick up an 8500Gt or something to use as a physics card.

Should be interesting how this pans out. Although I don't see anything major being down within the next year or so. It will prob take two atleast to really start to see things put in motion, atleast with people who aren't super enthusiasts.

The boy 4rm oz
02-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Either way this is gonna be fantastic technology once developed.

NightrainSrt4
02-14-2008, 11:37 PM
I am slightly concerned about how this is going to work out with games and ATI/AMD video cards. I would hate to see video games be manufacturer specific. Or, see games that are gimped as they do not have physics capabilities as the engine is card specific.

We will just have to wait it out and see how things pan out I suppose.

crenn
02-15-2008, 08:26 AM
The problem I have with multiple cards is the fact I only have 1 PCI-E 16x slot. I'm hoping that you don't need a 'dedicated' card for this. I also hope that the older physX games will be able to run on the new "PhysX" cards.

The boy 4rm oz
02-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Here is another article, they still say that all 8*** series cards are enabled but doesn't elaborate on the fact that once you install software one of your cards becomes a physics card.
http://www.techpowerup.com/52561/All_GeForce_8_Cards_to_Gain_PhysX_Engine_Support_S ays_NVIDIA.html

crenn
02-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Nowhere does it say that if you have a single card that you can't use it for both physics and graphics.

The boy 4rm oz
02-15-2008, 11:21 PM
I hope you will be able to though, otherwise I will go buy a 8500 or something cheap like that to run my physics.

crenn
02-15-2008, 11:23 PM
I think that's what a lot of people are planning to do. If the PhysX won't be able to be run on ATi cards, I'll be sort of disappointed with NVidia....

NightrainSrt4
02-15-2008, 11:32 PM
If the PhysX won't be able to be run on ATi cards, I'll be sort of disappointed with NVidia....

The issue here is that Nvidia is porting the physics engines from the Ageia card to run via CUDA. Unless Nvidia releases an independent physX card, or works with ATI to get it running on Stream, ATI cards won't be able to run the software.

I don't see them helping ATI by getting code to run on their cards. The only option I see is them releasing an independent card for Ati users to use.

The boy 4rm oz
02-16-2008, 12:46 AM
You may not have to worry about ATI getting the tech cos apparently Nvidia is also looking at acquiring AMD which means they also get ATI.
Linky:
http://www.techpowerup.com/52589/Analyst_Believes_NVIDIA_May_Acquire_AMD_Despite_Po ssible_Loss_of_x86_Licensing.html

crenn
02-16-2008, 01:12 AM
It's something I somehow doubt.

An independant card for ATi users to use? Does that include a 8500GT?

The boy 4rm oz
02-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Not an 8500GT. I think Nvidia will release all of their new cards with this capability and will probably release a stand alone card like the existing PhysX card. The good thing about possibly using an existing 8 series GPU as a physics card is that it probably wouldn't be under a huge amount of load allowing passive cooled cards to really stand out. You could even water cool it if you really wanted to lol.

crenn
02-16-2008, 03:09 AM
I'm not sure if they'll release a stand alone card to run PhysX. Which is why I said a 8500GT... it's cheap and should be fast enough for PhysX,

The boy 4rm oz
02-16-2008, 05:10 AM
Yeah, and I guess ATI users could just buy one and run physics off it. Even an 8400 would do, you can get them for under $80AUD.

crenn
02-16-2008, 05:20 AM
It's not that expensive... and NVidia is still getting sales >.>;

And as a plus, if your main graphics card fails for some reason, you can just use your 'physics' card as a temporary solution!

The boy 4rm oz
02-16-2008, 05:30 AM
That is true, I never thought of that. And when you upgrade your old card becomes the new physics card.

crenn
02-16-2008, 05:32 AM
Unless your sell your old card to help pay for the new card!

EDIT:

There is this weird idea going around of doing the physics on the same GPU as you are doing the graphics. Ever since NVIDIA and ATI started talking about GPU physics it has always been about doing it on a second GPU. Running the physics on the same GPU as the graphics has never been an option since we usually are GPU limited already. My guess is that the whole point of GPU physics is to get people to buy a second GPU.

That's from the ageia forums.

crenn
03-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Just something that was pointed out by the ageia forums:
http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/602205/nvidia-offers-physx-support-to-amd--ati.html

There seems to be hope afterall.

NightrainSrt4
03-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Well they aren't saying "ATI/AMD you can't use it" as they are letting the API still be open. But from that article, Nvidia isn't going out of their way to get it ported/whatnot to ATi's cards. They are basically saying that the API is there and if they want to do something with it then go ahead.

Smart move.

crenn
03-20-2008, 09:13 PM
What they've done is if ATi/AMD want to, they can support it. If they don't support it, it's not NVidia fault. I suspect that ATi/AMD will support it.... if they don't, it could mean that they lose some GPU sales to NVidia.

The boy 4rm oz
03-20-2008, 09:59 PM
I can't wait to see how the drivers go to make the 8 series Nvidia cards into a physics cards.

Quakken
03-21-2008, 07:42 PM
If the source engine would support ageia physics, their business would be going strong. Think about it- Garry's mod with a physics card, you could have massive explosions, huge particulate stuff everywhere, things colliding everywhere, maybe even (gasp!) completely solid welds.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, check out garry's mod . It's a physics playground game where you put props from the half life 2 series (and other source games) together and make machines, you can pose ragdolls, it's really very fun and pretty unknown about.

The boy 4rm oz
03-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Yes I know about garry's mod, an Australian guy made it. Valve paid him to upload it to steam. That would be awesome. I have never used it due to my lack of Half Life 2 though.

Quakken
03-21-2008, 11:34 PM
If you like building and mechanical stuff, it can be very fun. I was going to buy counter strike and garry's mod looked pretty cool so I went the extra 5 dollars. I barely play counter strike, and garry's mod is my most played game on steam (I'm a TF2 and garry's mod type of guy).

Speaking of which, TF2 sounds very good right now.