PDA

View Full Version : USB Problem

The boy 4rm oz
02-10-2008, 05:38 AM
I was given a USB drive (2GB) from a friend because it wasn't working properly. They said if you can fix it you can have it so that's exactly what I am trying to do. The drive is a Toshiba U3 Smart drive, or something like that.

The Problem:
I plug the device in and a screen comes up saying to install drivers, no matter what PC it is in. On the school computers the device will randomly open and close itself. The device doesn't show up in "My Computer" and in Vista it won't show up in the "Disk Manager" so I can format the drive. It does show up in "Device Manager" however and keeps asking for drivers. I have tried installing drivers for it and that hasn't worked. Any ideas?

doug91
02-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Try windows XP.

Eclecticos
02-12-2008, 12:08 AM
More than likely its corrupt. After going to My Computer, Right click the Removable drive, Go to Properties -=> Tools. Run Error Checking and Scan for errors and fix them. The files that are corrupt or in bad sectors already will not work but at least the new transferred files should work.

If all else fails reformat it. -=> Right click removable drive and select and format the drive. Then scan and fixes all errors.

Here (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/24/reinstall-or-restore-u3-launchpad-software-into-usb-flash-smart-drive/) is more info on that specific drive.

The boy 4rm oz
02-12-2008, 01:46 AM
I have tried XP (the school computers are XP) and as I said it doesn't show up in my comp.

doug91
02-15-2008, 11:54 PM
In device manager can't you right click the drive and 1)scan + check for errors 2) just reformat it?

Everytime you plug it in, does windows give the drive a new name? for esample "xyz1", "xyz2", "xyz3.." If it does this then Windows just doesn't like the drive. This happened to me once with a network adapter.

The boy 4rm oz
02-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Well I just plugged it in and a box popped up saying that there was an update for Vista. I checked my comp and there was the device, I formatted it to remove all the crap that was on there and hey presto, a working device.

xmastree
02-16-2008, 04:41 AM
They said if you can fix it you can have itDoes that mean that if you can't fix it, they want it back? :D

The boy 4rm oz
02-16-2008, 04:54 AM
I dunno lol, well I have fixed it now so they will never get it back haha.