PDA

View Full Version : CS3-Is it worth it?

noopypoop
02-11-2008, 10:53 PM
I currently use PS7 and of course CS3 has alot of useful features, and i can get a great deal on it. Is it worth the money?

Elenril
02-12-2008, 04:25 AM
Are you just talking about Photoshop or the whole suite? I personally think that the cost isn't worth it unless you're a professional, but depends what deal you can get.

noopypoop
02-12-2008, 08:32 AM
it depends what deal you can get.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/743/67421993gm0.jpg

slytherock
02-12-2008, 10:56 AM
OMG!!! :up: Go for it!!!

Ichbin
02-12-2008, 03:47 PM
oly moly mate!

Grab grab grab!

unless your a yar har fiddly dee :)

noopypoop
02-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Yea, just wanted to make sure.My only problem is that if i bought it, it would be when i get my pc hardware, which would just add $300 to the price tag =(

FYI- If you want deals like this, go to www.journeyed.com

Its a student discount store(which is why its so cheap) If your in high school or college, check out if your school is supported under the program.

.Maleficus.
02-12-2008, 06:09 PM
It's a very solid deal, no doubt about it. My opinion:

You have PS7. Changes between 7 and CS3? Not too major. Buy something you don't already have, but want to learn. If nothing else interests you, by all means get CS3.

And when you buy, post the experience here. Those are some nice prices, so I might think about buying the Vista Upgrade if you don't have any trouble.

noopypoop
02-12-2008, 06:28 PM
It's a very solid deal, no doubt about it. My opinion:

You have PS7. Changes between 7 and CS3? Not too major. Buy something you don't already have, but want to learn. If nothing else interests you, by all means get CS3.

And when you buy, post the experience here. Those are some nice prices, so I might think about buying the Vista Upgrade if you don't have any trouble.

Yea, that Vista Ultimate upgrade seems purdy nice, but its only 32 bit :(

EDIT: I actually found a site thats cheaper, that has stuff thats open for people not in school!

www.campustech.com

jdbnsn
02-13-2008, 01:06 AM
I installed a trial of CS3 and found that it was slower from the new features, I found little use for any of the new features, and was not worth the trouble of changing. I use CS and love it, so if you have the chance it might be worth downloading a 30 day trial before committing that kind of cash towards it.

si-skyline
02-13-2008, 12:14 PM
I like the old photoshop cs.. i dont like the way after that version they decided to get rid of the ctrl + click layer to marque the hole layer.. when in school i demanded for the old copy to be reinstalled :) yeah i know that there is a fiddely way to do the same thing but have i guess im just stuck in my way like that.. cs is the best in my mind :P

Scotty
02-14-2008, 03:37 PM
I started using Photoshop with CS, shortly after CS2 was released and i grabbed it. Then i got CS3 at BETA stage and i haven't looked back since. Albeit most of the work flow is pretty similar between CS2 and CS3 i find it much easier to work with the layout is much neater and user friendly allowing you to order pallets etc. Extended ofcorse also has a few extras over CS3 but unless you need them theres no need.

I currently work with CS3 Extended (Win) at home and CS3 (Mac) and CS (Win) at college. I would easily take CS3 or CS2 over CS, it has a few extra little shortcuts i know off by heart that don't exist in CS and much faster ways of doing things, like being to select multiple layers at once.

I also briefly used PS 7... Lets not go there :)

XcOM
02-14-2008, 04:23 PM
i started using ps from version 5 for windows, i have upgraded most times a new one came out, went from 5-->7-->cs-->CS2--CS3-->CS2 and im sticking on cs2, i think its the nicer one of them all.

si-skyline
02-14-2008, 08:54 PM
cs 3 seems more demanding on the computer to do the same job then the other cs family. I dont find a differance to them. What i can do in cs3 i can do in cs and it seems smoother

Elenril
02-15-2008, 12:23 AM
I started with 6, then CS. I tried CS3 when the BETA was released but I found it too cumbersome and ran pretty slow. But that was only after using it for 3 days and my computer has since improved, so my opinion of it might change if I used it now.

XcOM
02-16-2008, 08:10 PM
the main reason i switched back to cs2 was cs3 was too power hungry had no features that wern't in cs2 that i used.

J-Roc
02-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Just so you know noopy, there is nothing you can do with CS3 that you cant do with PS7. It might be a little more involved and take more time but all the effects can be done in ps7. To drop $300 on software when your not a pro or at least not very familliar with the advanced features is a bit rediculas dont you think?

I use PS7 and look at my wallpapers, no im not one of the best but i know how to really use the program and once in a while i make some good sheit. I wouldnt buy CS3 for $300 when i allready own PS7. Waste of money imo.

noopypoop
02-17-2008, 11:45 AM
The only problem is i lost the PS7 cd's:dead:

But i do have it loaded on my moms pc though

Scotty
02-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Just so you know noopy, there is nothing you can do with CS3 that you cant do with PS7.

Tell that to CS3's 3D handling capabilities.

Price, schmice, i'd rather have the latest stuff, but because i do honestly and personally find it much nicer to use. And i couldn't go back to PS7 for everyday use because it lacks quite a bit.

Elenril
02-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Tell that to CS3's 3D handling capabilities.

And how many people who are still learning to use Photoshop, like noopy, do you think are likely to use this feature?

J-Roc
02-17-2008, 07:36 PM
If your going to be using CS3 for textures and whatnot for 3D model's then you would allready be acquainted with all of the advanced features of photoshop aswell as the 3D modeling program your using and would be buying it for that specific reason. Not just to punch out web graphics and wallpapers.

There are also dozens of plugin's for PS7 that let you open and edit files from all the major 3d modeling programs.

[edit]
Allright, this all had we wondering about CS3 and if i should upgrade. While looking over the product details over at adobe.com. It appears that the 3d stuff is part of the extended suite and retails for $1,000US. Allthough an upgrade can be had for $350. I'm going to get the trial and see how i like it.

Noopy, get whatever version is cheapest and most readily available. You cant go wrong with any version. Just dont waste money on features you'll never use. Theres no sence buying a maclaren if you only drive to the corner store :)

noopypoop
02-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Really the only reason i would want it is because since i teach my self how to use photoshop, i use tutoriols and alot of te time a main step in a tut requires a filter or feature that is not in ps7. Also CS3 can use all brushes however PS7 can only use brushes made in PS7

J-Roc
02-23-2008, 02:33 PM
yeah, brushes are integral. Do you know how to define your own brushes?

jdbnsn
02-24-2008, 12:16 AM
I very rarely make any brushes and I get by okay. For the most part I just use the selection tools as stencils, seems to work pretty good for me. Sometimes I do need a specific type of brush but it's pretty rare.

Braveheart
02-24-2008, 01:21 AM
my brother has it and it's amazing, i would say get it if your going to use it.

J-Roc
02-24-2008, 03:14 AM
I just got CS3 and most of the "important to me" functions are the same as PS7. There are a few tools i havent used yet and the filter options have changed quite a bit.

oh jd... You need to go download some brush packs brotha. Thats probly the tool i use most next to the selection tool :)

SXRguyinMA
06-26-2008, 07:38 PM
its worth it to me, I got it free

nevermind1534
06-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Legally, I hope, since you are announcing it to everybody.

Killa_Ape
06-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Since I've installed Linux, Gimp has grown on me, I find it has most if not all the usablitiy of CS3 that I've used it for. On the plus side Gimp is free.

Sorry if this has been said before I'm just being lazy and didn't read the whole thread yet.

SXRguyinMA
06-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Legally, I hope, since you are announcing it to everybody.

yea I got it as a gift :up:

nevermind1534
06-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah, that's always nice to get gifts like that that you're going to use.

SXRguyinMA
06-28-2008, 03:56 PM
yep, although I dont use it as much as I thought I would, but with my new mod in its infant stages that may change

mollick2
06-29-2008, 02:23 PM
there are a lot of new features coming from ps 7, so i would say, yes its worth it. If you have cs or cs2 i wouldn't recommend an upgrade to cs3 but other then that deffinately worth it.

The boy 4rm oz
06-30-2008, 10:43 AM
For the price I would snap it up. My school recently upgraded from CS2 to CS3 and I love the new versions. I have worked a lot with the Photoshop CS3 and Premiere Pro CS3 and find them really good to work with.

I made this for a year 12 English "design your own business" assignment using Photoshop SC3, I know it's basic but it took me all of 30 mins including the scanning time and some work in MS paint.
Pic:
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4797/8finalfi7.png

Yes CS3 does run slightly slower but I am pretty sure that is because it utilizes more RAM. The school let me use their disk on my current PC and I run it fine (with 4GB of RAM and a Q6600 lol).

Also for all you GTX2** owners out there Adobe is working on (or already have released) an update to allow CUDA to work in Photoshop CS3.

Just my 2 cents.

XcOM
02-23-2010, 08:57 AM
i use CS4 now, much nicer, very fast(But i put that down to CUDA support)

billygoat333
02-23-2010, 09:02 AM
cs4 FTW! I love it.

Oneslowz28
02-25-2010, 07:29 AM
I use PS CS3 and CS4 on a daily basis and am a firm believer in PS. There is no other image editing program that can compete with PS. Some will argue that aperture or GIMP are just as good if not better and to them I say prove it. I can edit 100 photos on an individual basis in PS in half the time one can in GIMP or Apeture and I can "shop" much easier than either of them can.

The boy 4rm oz
02-25-2010, 08:28 AM
I use GIMP at home because I don't believe I should have to pay for PS. Yeah I know it is better but the way I see it is software is basically open source these days, you are just paying for a 16 digit code that allows you to use it. For the minimal editing I do GIMP is more then enough, and I don't have to pay for it.

XcOM
02-25-2010, 12:48 PM
for most people GIMP is a great program, it just can't keep up with PS for most rendering and filters,

I find GIMP doesn't have any layer blending options, you have to filter each layer rather then blending them

artoodeeto
02-25-2010, 09:58 PM
I use CS4 Illustrator, Acrobat and PS all the time at work. Illustrator doesn't seem to be much different than in CS3, I don't use enough of the advanced stuff in PS to really see a difference, and I'm mostly annoyed at the differences in Acrobat. Mainly the downgrade from opening all files in one acrobat window to each file opening in a separate window. I use dual screens, and so now instead of files opening in one window on one screen, they open all over the place on both screens. Drives me nuts.
Also Illustrator and acrobat seem a bit buggy compared to CS3; for instance, in Illustrator frequently when I have multiple files open and I have them as separate floating windows, either right after I open them or right after I navigate back to Illustrator after being in another program, I'll click on the top window and the one under it comes to the top. So I click on that one, and the one under IT comes to the top. And so forth til I've gone through all the files. THEN I can click on the one I want and it's on top. Most irritating. Acrobat does something similar with multiple files open, and if, for example, I go to print to pdf, it'll bring up the window behind the one I was using.

It's irritating...CS3 didn't do any of that...but I still love these programs. :D

Kayin
02-26-2010, 12:55 PM
I prefer CS3, layers and channels are all fscked up in CS4. Also, with no nVidia cards, I get no CUDA support. However, with what I have to throw at it, I can shoop just fine.