PDA

View Full Version : Server Board help.

HackSore
02-15-2008, 08:22 AM
I have never had any experience with server hardware, as i have never worked in IT, but i got a load of cases from a business throwing them out the other day, and i got a few working mobos and procs with them. i also got a server board, which i think is in working condition, the problem is the power connectors on the board, its got an input for a 24pin connector, but also a smaller, seperate power input which im unsure about.
Now i didnt have a 24pin power supply to hand when i was checking the boards, as the non-server boards only needed 20pin, but when using the 20pin connector, both cpu fans spin up.
So basically, im hoping that someone who has experience with server machines will be able to tell me what i need power-wise to get this board running.
The power input im talking about is at the top right of the coolermaster heatsink and fan.

I also tried googling around for the board, but could really find anything on it.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h240/Hacksore85/serverboard1.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h240/Hacksore85/serverboard2.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help or advice offered!

crenn
02-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Please take a macro photo of the bottom left corner of the board.

widefault
02-16-2008, 12:15 AM
That's an Intel STL2, info here (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/stl2/) at the Intel website.

I think you need an EPS PSU, but I'm not positive. Should be able to figure that out by reading some of the docs at Intel.

HackSore
02-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Please take a macro photo of the bottom left corner of the board.

I'll try, but my camera is awful, so if you are hoping to get written info from the board, i might not be able to get a clear enough photo.

That's an Intel STL2, info here at the Intel website.

I think you need an EPS PSU, but I'm not positive. Should be able to figure that out by reading some of the docs at Intel.

Thanks for the link and info, when i got the time i'll trawl through it all and see what i can come up with.

crenn
02-16-2008, 07:58 AM
If his info is correct, then the photo is not needed.

gntlkilr
02-19-2008, 04:25 PM
I'll try, but my camera is awful, so if you are hoping to get written info from the board, i might not be able to get a clear enough photo.

Thanks for the link and info, when i got the time i'll trawl through it all and see what i can come up with.

It is an Intel STL2. I've got the same one. You only need a 24 Pin P/S. Make sure that the processors have the same stepping code (Just like SLI and the same chip, you gotta have the same processor step code, otherwise it won't work. If you only have one processor, you gotta have the bypass chip in place (looks like a processor without the actual core). Also, the board WILL NOT WORK if the RAm isn't ECC registered. Found that one out the hard way. :redface:

One thing I've found with the board is that it doesn't get along famously with promise SATA controllers. SATA 150 or SATA II. But it does fine with Adaptec and Via. Weird, eh? Ah well. The NIC onboard is kinda junk, just pick up a Gig Nic for 20$ US somewhere. I went with D Link and it works great, in Linux, XP, and Server 2000 and 2003. Don't worry about drivers for the board either, XP, Linux and Server 03 all recognize it right off the bat.

As long as the board works, its a solid board. never had a problem with it and I'm running 2 Intel P3 1.1 Ghz with 2 Gbs of PC133(fastest it can handle). I run it as my media server, no problems. :)

send me a PM if you need help with it. I've had to troubleshoot just about everything on this particular board. We can talk offline if needed.