PDA

View Full Version : Best Audio Decoder Part 2

Indybird
02-18-2008, 08:54 PM
I finally just got my new sound card and I want to play some DTS DVDs. I go to do it using my nvidia DVD Decoder in WMP. DTS doesnt work. I had been having other problems with the nvidia DVD Decoder and have been meaning to replace it.

What is the best (free or not) DVD decoder I can possibly get?

Thanks,
Indybird

crenn
02-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Use VLC Media Player.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Indybird
02-18-2008, 09:07 PM
nonono, I don't want a new media player, I want a new DVD Decoder.

Thanks though...

-Indybird

crenn
02-18-2008, 09:10 PM
You're going to have to look at a new media player as far as I know...

Indybird
02-18-2008, 09:13 PM
You're going to have to look at a new media player as far as I know...

Windows Media Player can use all kinds of different decoders. I've used Cyberlink (Decoder only) and nvidia DVD Decoder in windows media player.

-Indybird

crenn
02-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Try this: http://nomoregoatsoup.wordpress.com/2007/08/28/playing-dts-audio-files-in-windows-media-player/

J-Roc
02-18-2008, 09:26 PM
What codec pack do you use?

K-Lite Mega will play virtually anything and everything. Allthough when i play some dvd's it opens an old style windows player.

Im not sure if thats what your looking for but its there for the grab anyway.

[edit]

Cyberlink PowerDVD or InterVideo WinDVD.

Intervideo ships with asus mobo's and probly others

Indybird
02-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Right now I'm using nvidia DVD Decoder.

-Indybird

jdbnsn
02-18-2008, 11:23 PM
as far as decoders go, I couldn't really say for sure. But as far as media players, I don't know how I overlooked VLC for so long. I've never seen a media player with this many options, you pretty much need to take a class to learn all of the things it does, and yet is very easy to use. I don't know that I will ever use another.

J-Roc
02-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Nvidia Decoder? Is that the ForceWare Multimedia app? I have that for use with my X10 rf remote. It plays dvd's and all sorts of stuff. I never use the program because i dont like the intergrated library. I use an open source X10 driver utillity so i can use the remote for any program. If your decoding through FWM, then disregard this. If not, get it. It'll also play tv and radio if you've got a tuner card.

ForceWare Multimedia supports DTS decoding done directly in the application or outputting DTS encoded audio through the S/PDIF connector for external decoding (compatible hardware is required).

Indybird
02-20-2008, 02:22 AM
I tried the K-Lite, and though it might work I want a much simpler decoder. Im looking for a stand-alone decoder that works like the Cyberlink decoder or nvidia decoder but is better.

-Indybird

J-Roc
02-20-2008, 06:35 PM
In what aspect of "better" are you looking for? It either decodes or it doesnt right?

What i mean is that if it says it decodes DTS then it should do it at the bitrate of the disk.

After some research, it looks as if PowerDVD is the top of the food chain. Then there is WinDVD. The Sonic Roxio player doesnt support DTS as far as i can tell.

[edit] Try the foreceware app first if you can find it. Its a little tricky to locate from the Nvidia site. Its also free...

a.Bird
02-20-2008, 10:41 PM
K-Lite Codec Pack 3.7.5 (http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.htm) (free)

Like J-Roc says, it has basically every codec you'll really need for anything. I'd go with any of the STANDARD versions download mirrors. Decent file size and has everything you want. It also comes with Windows Media Player Classic, which I use myself for all of my videos, including DVD playback. Comes with the DTS decoder which works especially well with my 5.1 setup.