PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot XP and Vista

Vertigo
02-22-2008, 08:00 PM
For my new mod Animus, I'm considering doing a pair of raptors with XP and Vista on each. Honestly, the only reason I'm considering Vista is for the new flashy games. Which is really why I'm making a new PC in the first place, DX10 etc. Anyone have any advice/feedback? I generally partition my OS and my data seperately to minimize loss in situations where I have to reinstall. Thanks!

Killa_Ape
02-24-2008, 01:21 AM
I would suggest a third harddrive for general storage. Mainly for music/media/documents/etc which both OS's will be using plus formatting is a lot easier due to the fact you don't have to search on one harddrive to find whatever it is you want to keep it's all on a seperate drive.

Another reason I like the third harddrive as opposed to partitioning is down the road if you want to build another computer or swap it to a new system you can just take it out and throw it in.

crenn
02-24-2008, 06:20 AM
Install XP and then 'upgrade' XP and install Vista on another partition or HDD. I have them installed on seperate drives.

Vertigo
02-24-2008, 08:54 PM
I think I'm going to give the upgrade bit a go, I think I even have a spare XP key laying around from an older comp that doesn't work anymore (my wife's old eMachines PC) so I'll just snag a Vista Ultimate Upgrade disk and I'm thinking I'll make 2-3 partitions on the raptor with a mass storage slave drive. Thanks for the advice.

Quakken
02-26-2008, 12:55 AM
So you could have one half of the hard drive vista, the other partition for vista and then a big shared storage drive? Can they both access the same storage drive?

Vertigo
02-26-2008, 01:12 AM
Yeah, currently I'm on a 250g hard drive that's partitioned to about 40g for XP and the remainder is just data (mp3s, etc)

Luke122
02-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Same here.. laptop has 40gb hdd, split into 3 partitions.. 1 for XP, 1 for Vista, and 1 shared storage between the two. (was previously an Ubuntu install in that space..*wipe*)

doug91
02-26-2008, 09:47 PM
sounds good. Watch out with the Vista Upgrades. I don't know is MS fixed the problem now, but I know at first the upgrade was problematic. Apparently the discs never completely worked changing XP into Vista.

crenn
03-01-2008, 07:22 PM
sounds good. Watch out with the Vista Upgrades. I don't know is MS fixed the problem now, but I know at first the upgrade was problematic. Apparently the discs never completely worked changing XP into Vista.

I have a Vista Upgrade, and I've never had such a problem with it. It asked me what drive I wanted to install to.

Spawn-Inc
03-09-2008, 08:22 PM
i have 3 250gb hard drives. one has xp home 32bit with all the major programs installed on it. the second one has games, smaller programs etc on it. and my last one has vista ultimate 64bit for DX10 and i wanted to see what it was like.

Quakken
03-15-2008, 01:31 AM
What's it like?

I may think about tri-or even quad OSing it on my next build. Why?

um... why not.

Windows Xp. Some linux distro. Vista 32. Vista 64. Maybe even a pirated version of OS10
(not really, please don't shank me with a ban-knife).