PDA

View Full Version : 1.2GB per sec Satellite Download

Crimson Sky
02-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Rocket was launched today from Japan to test their new satellite technology. :)

"Japan launched a rocket Saturday carrying a satellite that will test new technology that promises to deliver "super high-speed Internet" service to homes and businesses around the world.
A rocket carrying a super-fast Internet satellite lifts off from its launch pad on the Japanese island of Tanagashima.

The rocket carrying the WINDS satellite -- a joint project of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries -- lifted off its pad at 5:55 p.m. (0855 GMT) "

Source: CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/02/23/japan.satellite/index.html)

noopypoop
02-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Could it be a cuincidence that this is after they shot down the spy satellite? Maybe they were waiting so they could take the space.

Quakken
02-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Yes. That is just coincidence. There is plenty of space in... space.

Think of how expensive this going to be. But also, think of how awesome that would be to have satellite at 1.2 gigabytepersecond. You would never have to worry about your ping a game ever again... oh yeah. That's right, yes you would.

NightrainSrt4
02-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Asia will get those high speeds. If something like this was in the U.S. things would be limited to just above other sources like cable or dsl and would come at a premium.

Its funny the service we get here in the US compared to some other places (yet we're better than others I know). I just finally read the fine print on my service here at the apartment. No wonder my connection only nets me the slow crap that I get most of the time. Right in the fine print it states that powerBoost only affects the first 10mb of a download. On top of that, I never get anywhere near the connection speed I pay for. But what can you do? Woohoo... :down:

But if we do get service like that satellite at a reasonable price that will be awesome.

J-Roc
02-24-2008, 01:23 AM
There isnt much space in space when you get down to brass tacks. There is so much space debre floating around that recently some satellites had to be moved to a higher orbit to avoid contact. More Information Here (http://www.space.com/spacewatch/space_junk.html) if you'd like to take a look.

I do like the idea of high speed access from remote locations. It would be very nice to go to a cabin in the middle of nowhere and still be able to download your NetFlix movie in a few minutes.

simon275
02-24-2008, 06:28 AM
Sure you get a nice download speed. But what about upload? If live out in the country you are going to have only a 64kbps per second connection up for the reply packets. So unless they work out someone to make the down connection more streamlined you won't be seeing the speed. Or are they gonna have a satellite uplink in all peoples homes?

J-Roc
02-24-2008, 07:35 AM
well im sure it will require a special dual LNB type dish.

Do you remember the little automated satellite dishes in the movie congo? Thoes would be uber sweet!

Quakken
03-10-2008, 10:37 PM
What about low flying (100k feet) solar powered flying machines?

I think we need more research into these instead of satellites. Much closer, and not cluttering space (just the unused flightspace).

Zephik
03-10-2008, 10:45 PM
We need a Moon Base!

...although the ping would be horrid and it would probably only work during the night...

What am I saying? Its a Moon Base! Totally worth it as far as I'm concerned. ^_^

Drum Thumper
03-11-2008, 03:28 AM
I do like the idea of high speed access from remote locations. It would be very nice to go to a cabin in the middle of nowhere and still be able to download your NetFlix movie in a few minutes.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of 'getting away from it all'? I know I enjoy trips out to my parents place because:

A. There is no cell phone service, and work does not have my parents' phone number.

B. There is no internet service at my parents'. Yes, it is available, but they do not have it.

C. I can shoot my rifles and not worry about getting ticketed for disturbing the peace or having to pay exorbitant rifle range fees.

D. Home cooking.

Luke122
03-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Getting away from it all *is* nice, but to know that I could work from anywhere is REALLY nice.

Imagine this:
100km from nowhere, halfway up a mountain, cell phone rings. Answer it, "sure, I can do that". Pull out laptop, dial in, make correction, disconnect. "All done." Get paid for working, no matter where you are. Oh the joys of consulting. :D

gijoepurvis
03-11-2008, 02:57 PM
The Chinese shot down a satellite, not the Japanese

Drum Thumper
03-11-2008, 04:55 PM
The Chinese shot down a satellite, not the Japanese

The United States did recently as well. I'm thinking that is what the others are referring to.

Braveheart
03-11-2008, 06:01 PM
I better be able to get it, i wander how much it will cost.

Quakken
03-12-2008, 03:21 PM
D. Home cooking.

Even compared to the fancy food on a cruise that I just went on, my mom's cooking is some of the best I have ever tasted. It's simple, fattening, and delicious.

It's going to be strange going to college in a few years and cooking for myself... but then I could get some moon base internet or maybe some from the 100foot airplane satellite. Start a webhosting company, settle down with a wife and a couple of servers, maybe get a place in strongbadia...