PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Card suggestions?

Vertigo
02-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Since work is progressing solidly on my latest mod, I've decided to upgrade my desktop PCs to Wireless to save on all the cat5 cluttering up the house. (Seriously, it's bad) anyhow. I'm looking for something solid, someone suggested the Abit Airpace, but I'm having issues even finding one for sale anymore. Anyone with some info of a good card would be greatly appreciated.

Bopher
02-25-2008, 05:59 PM
I have 2 installed in 3xNES and in the wifes computer. I bought them from tigerdirect.

Here's the link to the product page (http://www.allieddata.com/asp/products_product.asp?menu=products&productid=156&brandid=2)

I've had them about 1.5 years now I would say. and other then the bundled software wanting to connect to another network after moving over the 3xNES they have worked perfectly. The one in NES is actually in the computer desk points out between the 2 monitor plugs and still gets at least a 48 mbps connection. They connect to a Linksys router and even were connected to a Belkin with no problems.

simon275
02-26-2008, 04:54 AM
I have reasearched wireless cards in great detail in the past.

Is our network 802.11g or 802.11n draft?

For the eastiest install by a top of the line card that is the same brand as your wireless router.

I have just had trouble with Dlink cards over the years. Netgear can be ok but sometimes there cards can have issues. Buffalo also puts out some good cards but they aren't as widly avaliable as the others

Linksys cards are normally very good. They are my recommendation for something you can buy off the shelf anywhere.

Vertigo
02-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks Simon, actually, I bought a Linxsys card months ago, but it has some problems with our network. It caused crashes while playing wow, etc. We're using a Netgear router, and my roommate's been using a Netgear card for a couple of years, so I think I'm going to look into the Netgear cards for stability sake with our current setup.