PDA

View Full Version : help with dynamic websites?

si-skyline
02-27-2008, 06:03 AM
hay guys iv been looking into this for a while and i just cant seem to get it to work or that i just run out of information.. :/

iv got a basic website up and running now for a while, iv used both apache and also IIS.. iv been trying to get a WAMP started for now but cant seem to understand every thing enought to put it together and to get it working..

i was wondering if you have done something like this before, were did you get your information any good web sites? books even?

thank you so much :up:

.Maleficus.
02-27-2008, 07:27 AM
I have put together my own LAMP and also have used dedicated hosting. What exactly are you having problems with?

si-skyline
02-27-2008, 03:12 PM
all of it really. thats why i would like a good book to read.. i under stand the princible of it.. but cant for the life of me get past installing apatche.. iv managed to do it under linux but its being tempermental at the moment..

i found it hard to get information about them seeing its kinda partly touching on one another

J-Roc
02-27-2008, 03:35 PM
you should be a little more specific.

Are you trying to install apache on your local machine or over a network? What operating system (home, pro, server)? What version of apache? ect, ect...

Here is the link to the win32 2.2.8 binary installation program with open SSL 0.9.8g
http://mirror.lemonfree.com/apache/httpd/binaries/win32/apache_2.2.8-win32-x86-openssl-0.9.8g.msi

[edit]

you can download a preconfigured(?) WAMP server package from www.wampserver.com .

si-skyline
02-28-2008, 03:53 AM
yeah tryed that too.. its not working either.. i did have at one point that working, some error pops up when trying to stop iis, so im thinking that the installation has went awol. so need to do that when i go back home..

its over the network/internet to a machine running windows 2000

si-skyline
02-28-2008, 04:34 AM
oki. found out why it was not working for me, it was because i was not logged in as admin xD silly mistakes...

well now iv got it running with wamps but my website is now a bit screwed up.. im gonna be leaving it running so if your interested in what i mean and have time click on the url in my sig..

/edit

more silly mistakes agian.. im going out the back to shoot my self now... this time it was because i forgot to copy over the css file.. i quickly rememberd when i seen the other pages with nothing on xD

status now, aparently i have apache, php and mysql running on the computer.. i was wondering now how do i create databases in the sql sever? iv been making a db in uni with access2003 but something tells me i cant simply copy and paste the database into a folder somewere and have to use a sql console?

SgtM
02-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Dude.. check out webmin (http://www.webmin.com).

si-skyline
02-29-2008, 06:07 AM
seems like going round the bush to get it to run on windows.. and seems buggy and holy under linux according to some topics iv seen

.Maleficus.
02-29-2008, 07:30 AM
seems like going round the bush to get it to run on windows.. and seems buggy and holy under linux according to some topics iv seen
Were those topics started by Gates by any chance? :D

Buggy and holey it is not. LAMPs are far more common than WAMPs. Check out the Ubuntu 6.06 Server Edition with a LAMP setup and you'll be very happy. Check out Webmin like SgtM suggested, and if you have some money to spend, check out cPanel.

si-skyline
02-29-2008, 08:43 AM
nope.. i just remembering hearing in my school when i was talking to some admins and he said in the compnay he worked before had that if you talked about webmin it was enought to get fired because of its poor security.. also researching on google when trying to find installs didnt turn so popular..

id prefer to stick to windows at the moment, i have the obbession of learning new things in windows and then trying to carry them on in linux later..

but yeah il give it a wack tonight and get it sorted. also my budget is tight on this one.. its currently at 0 xD