PDA

View Full Version : Pauls book

voltov
03-29-2005, 04:46 PM
well i ntoced while reading through it for like the 4th time that when ever it said LED before it would say "an" i was just wondering shouldnt it be "a"? and one more thing about the picture taking techniques area.. it says for the one about the problem you had with taking the pictures because you got some distorted vertical lines from your blinds.. but these lines are actually horizontal.. sorry if i was a little over critical but i just thought i should point those things out

Frakk
03-29-2005, 08:26 PM
peopled pronounce LED differently, thatswhy someone puts an "a" or "an" in front. I suppose you just say led, but Paul says it as L.E.D. as an abbriviation where it sounds like "ell-ee-dee" and not just "led" :D

FX
03-30-2005, 01:14 AM
Thanks Frakk, that's exactly correct. L.E.D. stands of course for Light Emitting Diode, which over the years has changed in look. When pronounced however, it is as Frakk says, "elle-ee-dee" so when pronouncing a word that sounds like it starts with a vowel, you would use "an" instead of "a".

Many thanks to Bill Nye the Science Guy for that explanation and english lesson. :)

voltov
03-30-2005, 08:08 AM
Ah ha :) that would explain it... thanks :)

fishies
03-30-2005, 11:26 AM
like using 'an' before historic. Fundamentally wrong, but it sounds better than using 'a'

Frakk
03-30-2005, 04:02 PM
an history? it sounds stupid. i dont know how Americans say it but here in Canada its still "A history" like "a historic event" and not "an" lol

Sky
03-30-2005, 10:50 PM
Excellent book Paul. I really like the vivid color photos of everything. I havent read it yet, I was just getting it so that you can sign it next time I see ya.

I have quite the collection of friends that have signed books for me, so I figured this would be a bit different among the horse books.

ZeD
03-31-2005, 01:18 AM
Sky I will sell you an autographed copy for $100

Sky
03-31-2005, 08:32 PM
laf. nah...I think I would like a personalized autograph..and I am sure I can get it for free...haha

Crimson Sky
04-06-2005, 01:33 PM
well i ntoced while reading through it for like the 4th time that when ever it said LED before it would say "an" i was just wondering shouldnt it be "a"? and one more thing about the picture taking techniques area.. it says for the one about the problem you had with taking the pictures because you got some distorted vertical lines from your blinds.. but these lines are actually horizontal.. sorry if i was a little over critical but i just thought i should point those things out

Did you enjoy it at least or did those miniscule flaws ruin it for you? You know what they say about people who point out other's mistakes. ;)

fishies
04-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Did you enjoy it at least or did those miniscule flaws ruin it for you? You know what they say about people who point out other's mistakes. ;)

That they're over-critical? Insecure? Just trying to help?

j/k....

I have yet to read your book, but it is on the list...

DickNervous
04-07-2005, 12:11 PM
The only really good part of the book was in the begining where you mention the people who you want to thank and so much. After it was all downhill. :D

Crimson Sky
04-07-2005, 12:33 PM
The only really good part of the book was in the begining where you mention the people who you want to thank and so much. After it was all downhill. :D

LoL--somehow I KNEW you would like that part best :p

DickNervous
04-07-2005, 01:14 PM
LoL--somehow I KNEW you would like that part best :p

How could I *NOT* like that part. :)

All joking aside I have read through parts of it here and there and everything I have read is good. Well written and well documented. Though I think it would have been cool to have more "Featured Mods" with work others have done and like 1-2 page explanations of what they did or something along those lines. It would give the reader several different persepctives on modding instead of just yours. Not to say your perspecitve isn't good, just that variety is the spice of life.

Whisp
04-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Never read it because I stopped buying magazines a while back since most info is on the web. If I find someone with it I'lll take a look though.

voltov
04-08-2005, 08:25 PM

actually i really did enjoy the book :) it taught me alot of things i didnt know and so much more.. it was a great buy on my half :)

ZeD
04-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Pauls book has served me very well, if it weren't for his book my coffee table would still be uneven and wobbly. ;)

jonopaul01
04-09-2005, 04:44 AM
Just to be clear, are we talking about the book "The MaximumPC Guide to Extreme PC Mods"? I haven't bought it but if you all so highly recommend it perhaps I should buy. Besides, my coffee table is also kind of wobbly.

ZeD
04-09-2005, 05:26 AM
Yes, written by Paul Capello if you wanted to look it up. amazon gets sold out pretty quick so if ya see it pick it up.

jonopaul01
04-09-2005, 06:19 AM
Will do. For people in England (like me) the Amazon link can be found here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0789731924/qid%3D1113041805/026-1899401-8712461). I will try to keep this link updated as things get sold out, replaced, reURLed etc. Wierdly the books name is filed under "Maximum PC Guide to Hardware Hacking". I only found it by finding books written by Paul Capello.

ZeD
04-09-2005, 06:31 AM
Be careful when ordering because I think there is a guide to hardware hacking. Double check the ISBN # if your placing an order to confirm that its the correct book before ordering.

jonopaul01
04-09-2005, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the tip. Will check on that. And I will update my URL on finding the correct one.

Crimson Sky
04-09-2005, 10:00 AM
The working title of the book was "Guide to Hardware Hacking", and i think some pre-order sites did not change the info (and pic) on their sites when we changed it. :)

jonopaul01
04-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Okay then, will order it soon.

[EDIT] Since this time I have bought this book. Well done, big thumbs up Paul!