PDA

View Full Version : Onboard LAN woes after new build

Raz1r
03-01-2008, 12:51 AM
I'm going to try to give you guys as much information as possible so that hopefully somebody can help me. I bought a Biostar P4M900-M4 (http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/mb/content.php?S_ID=283) socket 478 motherboard an 8600GT XXX and 2Gigs of RAM. Everything installed okay except for the onboard LAN. I am running Windows XP Home, and after reactivating my copy of windows, I installed my drivers. It seemed to go alright. Except I can't get the Onboard LAN to work.

I have ruled out the possibility of hardware failure by using a bootable version of Linux, it picked up on all my hardware right away, except for the special settings for the 8600GT (understandable). I was able to surf the web perfectly. Whenever I plug in the CAT5 to the RJ45, I get both LEDs solid. They do not blink. Under Linux they blink like normal during data transfer.

I even tried to install a PCI LAN card, and I was met with the same Code 31 error in device manager. The same thing happened on the LEDs of this card as well.

I have tried multiple drivers (read: 13) and none have worked. The board wants to give drivers for a VIA Rhine II. I've tried every "compatible driver" but after they are done installing, they just give me the same message.

As of now, I am looking into how to Flash a BIOS. The BIOS version is from 8/28/07, so I don't know if it will help.

If I can provide any more info that might help, don't be afraid to ask. I just want to play some Counterstrike.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

crenn
03-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Sounds like something went wrong in your Windows XP install. All I can think of it to try reinstalling windows.

Raz1r
03-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Windows XP Home was already installed on the hard drive. I guess I should have mentioned that. It is a legitimate copy from my old emachines computer. I have a problem though, I bought the computer when it was on a special deal, and they never gave me a boot-up CD. It was the floor model, so I basically carried it out of the store myself.

I do have the manual though, as well as the product-key. Can I boot off a different CD and use my old product-key?

Otherwise I'm going to contact my uncle and obtain a VLP key for XP Pro.

Cheron
03-01-2008, 12:10 PM
yes you can use your original key with an other install cd. at leased i have done so many times, never had problems.

Raz1r
03-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for that. Now I can install XP Home on my second computer.

I installed XP Pro with a VLP, and I have Internet now. The only downside is that now I have to reinstall every single one of my games. Mods can close the topic if they want.

crenn
03-02-2008, 05:51 PM
You can actually close the topic yourself if you want ;)